PDA

View Full Version : What desktop browser do you typically browse the forums with?

SilentPanda
Apr 26, 2012, 07:44 AM
I could probably ask arn for the stats, but the stats would just show people visiting the site. I figure polling people that actually use the site often (and more importantly the forums) would be a better gauge. I'm interested in forum users, not so much site visitors.

While I recognize users browse on mobile devices, this poll isn't interested in those. I also recognize that there are other browsers than those listed but if you're not using one of these you're likely in the minority anyway, but I added an Other for you. Somebody should make a browser called "Other". Think of the polls they'd place in!

maflynn
Apr 26, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm on Safari when using my Mac. When I'm in the office and not working from home, I use Chrome (on a PC).

r.j.s
Apr 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
Firefox at home, but IE at work (IE7 at that :eek:) :mad:

SandboxGeneral
Apr 26, 2012, 08:09 AM
Prior to the last month it was always Safari on OS X and Firefox on Win7.

But since then, I've been using Chrome on both platforms.

OllyW
Apr 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
Safari on the Mac at Home and Firefox on the PC at work.

-aggie-
Apr 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
Moved to Chrome on the Mac after getting tired of RAM issues with Safari. IE at work, only because I'm forced to.

miss.manson
Apr 26, 2012, 08:55 AM
Chrome on my Mac

Starfighter
Apr 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
Somebody should make a browser called "Other". Think of the polls they'd place in!

Haha! Well, the PS3 had OtherOS - you should have pitched them! ;)

I'm using Other (Camino/WaMCom) when I'm here with my macs and Chrome when I'm here with windows.

SumoHamster
Apr 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
I voted Firefox, as I'm on the forums more at work on my PC than I am at home. At home it's Safari.

Nermal
Apr 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
I voted Firefox, as I'm on the forums more at work on my PC than I am at home. At home it's Safari.

I voted Safari, but come to think of it I'm in the same boat. I use Firefox at work and tend to waste spend more time on MR at work...

Michaelgtrusa
Apr 27, 2012, 12:02 AM
Safari as Chrome and it's spinoffs are causing the forum to hang.

Macman45
Apr 27, 2012, 12:15 AM
Safari here on my MBA, have been toying with the idea of installing Chrome on my iMac and MBP though...The poll results do show it running in at a close second so far.

Krafty
Apr 27, 2012, 01:32 AM
Firefox.

Comeagain?
Apr 27, 2012, 02:04 AM
Safari/Mobile Safari on Mac/iOS respectively. The rare times I'm on a pc, I actually use IE. it's not that bad. I like it more then Firefox.

Nameci
Apr 27, 2012, 02:09 AM
Safari...

ixodes
Apr 27, 2012, 02:14 AM
I've optimized Chrome on both my Mac & PC.

Now that Google offers such a huge number of very useful extensions & apps, it's even more useful than Firefox.

While I've got nothing against Safari, nothing is as fast, fun, and functional as Google Chrome.

annk
Apr 27, 2012, 02:16 AM
Chrome, though I have access to Safari and Firefox at home as well, and FF and IE (because we have to) at work.

I use Chrome for just about everything. Only occasionally do I come across something that won't work there.

SandboxGeneral
Apr 27, 2012, 06:09 AM
I could probably ask arn for the stats, but the stats would just show people visiting the site. I figure polling people that actually use the site often (and more importantly the forums) would be a better gauge. I'm interested in forum users, not so much site visitors.

While I recognize users browse on mobile devices, this poll isn't interested in those. I also recognize that there are other browsers than those listed but if you're not using one of these you're likely in the minority anyway, but I added an Other for you. Somebody should make a browser called "Other". Think of the polls they'd place in!

Prior to the last month it was always Safari on OS X and Firefox on Win7.

But since then, I've been using Chrome on both platforms.

I'm curious, what is the reason for your poll? Do you have some new ideas for the site or are you conducting research for an external project?

The reason I switched to Chrome for my default browser is primarily because of the Chromium Project SPDY. Google is really pushing this new protocol in an effort to improve the speed of the Internet by reducing latency.

Currently, most of Google's domains, including YouTube, have the SPDY protocol enabled and when using a browser with SPDY turned on, like Chrome, those sites do load faster than on non-SPDY enabled browsers. Firefox has SPDY support, but needs to be manually enabled (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923706). Firefox 13 due out soon, is supposed to have it enabled by default. I'd love to see MacRumors.com enable the SPDY protocol on the domain for faster browsing as well.

Here are some links about the subject.

SPDY: An experimental protocol for a faster web (http://dev.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-whitepaper)
Wikipedia: SPDY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDY)
TWiT: Security Now podcast: Episode #343 HTTP & SPDY (http://media.grc.com/sn/sn-343.mp3) <<<MP3 Link

Security Now podcast summary:
This week, after catching up with the week's security and privacy news, Steve and Leo take a detailed look at the World Wide Web's current TCP & HTTP protocols, and examine the significant work that's been done by the Chromium Project on “SPDY”, a next-generation web protocol for dramatically decreasing page load times and latency and improving performance and interactivity.

maril1111
Apr 27, 2012, 06:12 AM
Chrome and F FOx

carefreecork
Apr 27, 2012, 06:22 AM
Chrome

Dr McKay
May 8, 2012, 02:50 AM
IE10 at Home, IE6 at work.