PDA

View Full Version : I got reprimanded for calling someone a "fool"

ristlin
May 4, 2012, 01:15 PM
Macrumors sent me a e-mail "reminder" about the forum rules and how I shouldn't insult someone.

So this means Gandalf was insulting the rest of the fellowship just before he fell to his death.

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/FLY-YOU-FOOLS-6.jpg

bruinsrme
May 4, 2012, 01:17 PM
Well kids gloves are needed to play on this playground.

shinobi-81
May 4, 2012, 01:19 PM
It's zero tolerance for name-calling in the forums.

nuckinfutz
That looks like a British Shorthair cat. I will name him Gandalf the Blue.

ucfgrad93
Well, we give Gandalf a pass because he has excellent fireworks, can create a ship out of pipe smoke, and he defeated the Balrog.

You, on the other hand, can't do any of that stuff. Therefore, you sir, are on notice!:p

WRP
May 4, 2012, 01:20 PM
I was banned for calling someone an idiot when they clearly were being one.

ristlin
May 4, 2012, 01:23 PM
Well, we give Gandalf a pass because he has excellent fireworks, can create a ship out of pipe smoke, and he defeated the Balrog.

You, on the other hand, can't do any of that stuff. Therefore, you sir, are on notice!:p

Lol, good point.

maflynn
May 4, 2012, 01:24 PM
If you have questions regarding the moderation, then the proper recourse is to use the contact us link and an administrator will review the moderation and/or answer any questions you may have.

Due to MacRumor's privacy policy, we don't publicly discuss moderation but the rules can be found here

annk
May 4, 2012, 01:34 PM
If you have questions regarding the moderation, then the proper recourse is to use the contact us link and an administrator will review the moderation and/or answer any questions you may have.

Due to MacRumor's privacy policy, we don't publicly discuss moderation but the rules can be found here

This is correct. If you explicitly waive your right to privacy, we can discuss a specific instance of moderation done to your post or member account. In that case, we will bring up and detail anything that went into making the decision about that moderation, including your previous moderation history.

But as maflynn points out, the rules specify that unless you waive your right to privacy, posts discussing specific moderation aren't allowed.

You can of course bring up any rule for a general discussion, for example "what constitutes an insult on MacRumors?" or something along those lines. If what you ask is already detailed in the rules, you'll likely get a link to and/or a quote of the rule first (members accept and agree to follow the rules as part of the registration process).

Here's a quote from the rules that might explain the situation to those who have brought up their own moderation in this thread:

Rules:

Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.

;)

ristlin
May 4, 2012, 01:51 PM
This is correct. If you explicitly waive your right to privacy, we can discuss a specific instance of moderation done to your post or member account. In that case, we will bring up and detail anything that went into making the decision about that moderation, including your previous moderation history.

But as maflynn points out, the rules specify that unless you waive your right to privacy, posts discussing specific moderation aren't allowed.

You can of course bring up any rule for a general discussion, for example "what constitutes an insult on MacRumors?" or something along those lines. If what you ask is already detailed in the rules, you'll likely get a link to and/or a quote of the rule first (members accept and agree to follow the rules as part of the registration process).

Here's a quote from the rules that might explain the situation to those who have brought up their own moderation in this thread:

;)

Thanks for the reply. I brought this up in the community section not because I thought negatively about the rule, but because I have noticed some people borderline insult one another. I thought this was an easy way to share an experience (I didn't consider "fool" an insult, but will of course refrain from calling someone one here from now on) and hopefully make others aware as well in a lighthearted manner -- hence the cat :o

ericrwalker
May 4, 2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah, we can't talk about it. I just got my hand slapped for asking what a word meant. Just let it roll off your back and drive on.

ristlin
May 4, 2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah, we can't talk about it. I just got my hand slapped for asking what a word meant. Just let it roll off your back and drive on.

Aye, I got that vibe.

annk
May 4, 2012, 03:45 PM

If anything at all is uncertain or seems unfair, and if it has to do with a specific case of moderation, just use the system and send a contact message. Contacts are always read, very often discussed, and always answered (but it can take up to a week, depending on the workload and how much discussion across time zones is needed).

-aggie-
May 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I brought this up in the community section not because I thought negatively about the rule, but because I have noticed some people borderline insult one another. I thought this was an easy way to share an experience (I didn't consider "fool" an insult, but will of course refrain from calling someone one here from now on) and hopefully make others aware as well in a lighthearted manner -- hence the cat :o

It really comes down to the people viewing and in the thread thinking it is an insult (or caring to bother reporting it). If it's not reported, then that's why you see people getting away with worse than calling someone a fool.

Anyway, I gather you got a reminder, not a warning, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

blueroom
May 4, 2012, 04:01 PM
Use your ignore list.

I've got plenty of babies, whiners, trolls, goobers, posers, wankers and of course idiots on mine.

Scepticalscribe
May 4, 2012, 07:10 PM
That looks like a British Shorthair cat. I will name him Gandalf the Blue.

Brilliant. I like the look of Gandalf the Blue. ;)

Excellent - you have made my day - chuckle, chortle. :D

Idiocy, like beauty, is clearly in the eye of the beholder.

;)

A useful reminder and thanks for posting it.

Agree with erikwalker, who also gives some good advice about letting it all roll over you and drive on.

shinobi-81
May 4, 2012, 07:47 PM

It's better to write "you're behaving like an idiot" than "you are an idiot" because then you're describing the actions and not the person. It may still constitute an insult, but at least there won't be any name-calling involved.

Mac'nCheese
May 4, 2012, 07:51 PM

Banned?

Tilpots
May 4, 2012, 08:08 PM
Banned?

I wouldn't call him a fool, but that certainly was foolish.

sammich
May 5, 2012, 11:32 AM
Oh well. Yeah I got a time out for calling someone a very literate troll [sic].

Lesson learned. Love that pic btw :)

Eldiablojoe
May 5, 2012, 01:17 PM
I've been told by a third party(ies) who shall remain nameless so that he or she or they is/are not disciplined about sharing the contents of his or her or their PM(s) with me, that the spankings seem to be a bit biased.

They/He/She noted a case (not on this forum) wherein there were plenty of pro-demorcratic posts (Viva Obama, Long Live Global Health Care, Careful the world is overheating, Bush is a jackbooted murdering Nazi thug), but one dared to post something anti-democratic and got the "We don't tolerate politics" nasty-gram.

That was the rumor I heard anyhow. Hopefully that is non-specific enough and not in anyway is intended nor should it be read as a comment or criticism regarding this forum or any other forum, its moderators, or the methods by which either forums are run and maintained and/or moderated. It is simply an observation regarding the current state of affairs in a non-specific and perhaps even hypothetical web forum microcosm.

ericrwalker
May 5, 2012, 01:30 PM
Careful the secret service might get you. I don't know if its true but i believe moderators are required to report anythung that doesnt praise the almighty Obama.

I've been told by a third party(ies) who shall remain nameless so that he or she or they is/are not disciplined about sharing the contents of his or her or their PM(s) with me, that the spankings seem to be a bit biased.

They/He/She noted a case (not on this forum) wherein there were plenty of pro-demorcratic posts (Viva Obama, Long Live Global Health Care, Careful the world is overheating, Bush is a jackbooted murdering Nazi thug), but one dared to post something anti-democratic and got the "We don't tolerate politics" nasty-gram.

That was the rumor I heard anyhow. Hopefully that is non-specific enough and not in anyway is intended nor should it be read as a comment or criticism regarding this forum or any other forum, its moderators, or the methods by which either forums are run and maintained and/or moderated. It is simply an observation regarding the current state of affairs in a non-specific and perhaps even hypothetical web forum microcosm.

r.j.s
May 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
Careful the secret service might get you. I don't know if its true but i believe moderators are required to report anythung that doesnt praise the almighty Obama.

Not true at all.

bruinsrme
May 5, 2012, 01:33 PM

Just break out a few bottles and shot glasses and all will be forgotten by the secret service.

ericrwalker
May 5, 2012, 01:37 PM
Just break out a few bottles and shot glasses and all will be forgotten by the secret service.

...and Columbian hookers.

tekno
May 5, 2012, 01:38 PM

But doing it this way is much more fun.

r.j.s
May 5, 2012, 01:40 PM
Since this has turned into nothing but off-topic chatter and vague complaints about moderation that leave out plenty of details, the thread is closed.

Anyone who has a specific complaint may use the Contact Us link.