Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
I haven't read about this issue before, so I'm wondering if I'm just doing something wrong.

When I'm reading a book using iBooks, I find it difficult to hold the iPad without touching the left or right side of the book and suddenly flipping two, three or four pages ahead or back. I have looked in the settings of the iBook application to turn off changing pages by tapping, however the only setting I have found is a change of the function of the left side to forward or backward.

Am I the only one that seems to experience this issue? Or am I overlooking some other way to disable this "feature".

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I haven't read about this issue before, so I'm wondering if I'm just doing something wrong.

When I'm reading a book using iBooks, I find it difficult to hold the iPad without touching the left or right side of the book and suddenly flipping two, three or four pages ahead or back. I have looked in the settings of the iBook application to turn off changing pages by tapping, however the only setting I have found is a change of the function of the left side to forward or backward.

Am I the only one that seems to experience this issue? Or am I overlooking some other way to disable this "feature".

I don't think there is any way to disable it per se. I would just recommend trying to find a better way of holding it. Perhaps get an iPad stand. I recently bought the Standzfree iPad Floor Stand and I love it a lot.

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
It's a touch screen! There is a liberal 7/8" band of glass around the screen with which to place your thumb and fingers that will not cause any touch screen action. You learn by habit and experience where to place your digits. This question reminds me of the old joke...

Patient, "Doctor! My arm hurts when I hold it up this way."

Doctor, "Put your arm down."

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
I don't think there is any way to disable it per se. I would just recommend trying to find a better way of holding it. Perhaps get an iPad stand. I recently bought the Standzfree iPad Floor Stand and I love it a lot.

I do have a stand, but I tend to read on the couch.

It's a touch screen! There is a liberal 7/8" band of glass around the screen with which to place your thumb and fingers that will not cause any touch screen action. You learn by habit and experience where to place your digits. This question reminds me of the old joke...

Patient, "Doctor! My arm hurts when I hold it up this way."

Doctor, "Put your arm down."

Unfortunately, when your thumb is in that "generous" band, it doesn't take much to hit the edge of the screen and flip 6 pages back. In any other app, I can hold the device and not have actions performed without intention.

I hope they enable some type of option to disable the feature, not just flip between forward and backwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.