PDA

View Full Version : Format and restore with TM

itboom
May 22, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hello everyone, i have a mac mini (2010), and sadly, i need to downgrade back to OS X 10.6 (need to use PPC apps),
i have a time machine with this computer that includes all my apps.

because i am downgrading, i am wondering if there is a possibility to downgrade using the installing DVD that came with the computer, and restore the apps that i currently have using my TimeMachine.

thank you for your help.

stridemat
May 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hello everyone, i have a mac mini (2010), and sadly, i need to downgrade back to OS X 10.6 (need to use PPC apps),
i have a time machine with this computer that includes all my apps.

because i am downgrading, i am wondering if there is a possibility to downgrade using the installing DVD that came with the computer, and restore the apps that i currently have using my TimeMachine.

thank you for your help.

Hi,

You can format and install with the DVD that came with your Mac. I would probably not restore the apps as you may run into some problems, some may only be compatible with newer versions of OS X. Best bet is to re-download them.

It would be fine to restore your personal files though.

itboom
May 22, 2012, 03:39 PM
ah, the apps is what i am worried about, i have very slow internet (200KBPS max download) and to redownload everything from the app store would take me a few WEEKS... any tips?

stridemat
May 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
ah, the apps is what i am worried about, i have very slow internet (200KBPS max download) and to redownload everything from the app store would take me a few WEEKS... any tips?

Well if that's the case then try a full restore (apps and all) worst case is that some of your apps may not work and you will have to uninstall them.

itboom
May 22, 2012, 05:14 PM
in that case, wont it put OS X LION back?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=463394097008024&l=0d42b1c31d
and here is just the games i got from the app store- (each is 6-9Gbit, and ill download at 200...)

stridemat
May 23, 2012, 01:42 AM
That's why you need to format the hard drive first, install the version of OS X you want, connect your back up and restore your apps and files.

itboom
May 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
That's why you need to format the hard drive first, install the version of OS X you want, connect your back up and restore your apps and files.
didn't you say that APPS won't work?

stridemat
May 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
didn't you say that APPS won't work?

Some apps might not work, but some might be ok. It's a case of trial and error.