Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itboom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hello everyone, i have a mac mini (2010), and sadly, i need to downgrade back to OS X 10.6 (need to use PPC apps),
i have a time machine with this computer that includes all my apps.

because i am downgrading, i am wondering if there is a possibility to downgrade using the installing DVD that came with the computer, and restore the apps that i currently have using my TimeMachine.

thank you for your help.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Hello everyone, i have a mac mini (2010), and sadly, i need to downgrade back to OS X 10.6 (need to use PPC apps),
i have a time machine with this computer that includes all my apps.

because i am downgrading, i am wondering if there is a possibility to downgrade using the installing DVD that came with the computer, and restore the apps that i currently have using my TimeMachine.

thank you for your help.

Hi,

You can format and install with the DVD that came with your Mac. I would probably not restore the apps as you may run into some problems, some may only be compatible with newer versions of OS X. Best bet is to re-download them.

It would be fine to restore your personal files though.

itboom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
ah, the apps is what i am worried about, i have very slow internet (200KBPS max download) and to redownload everything from the app store would take me a few WEEKS... any tips?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
ah, the apps is what i am worried about, i have very slow internet (200KBPS max download) and to redownload everything from the app store would take me a few WEEKS... any tips?

Well if that's the case then try a full restore (apps and all) worst case is that some of your apps may not work and you will have to uninstall them.

itboom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
in that case, wont it put OS X LION back?
photo.php

and here is just the games i got from the app store- (each is 6-9Gbit, and ill download at 200...)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
That's why you need to format the hard drive first, install the version of OS X you want, connect your back up and restore your apps and files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.