Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Now that 10.8 has had several different builds out and getting closer to summer are the 12A128p and above save to instal and use for day to day operations like installing over 10.7?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Based on the bugs thread, no. But it all depends on what you do and what apps you use. Personally, I would wait.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You should never use a prerelease version of an OS on your primary machine. You should also never use it if you have to ask questions like this: you're not going to be able to solve the inevitable problems either. I'd suggest strongly you wait for the official release.

jW

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
What Mal said about x1000. When Apple says developer preview, they are dead serious. This is not intended for people to run this on their primary machine as their primary OS - it is intended for developers as a testing environment to test their products.

People ask this question before and the answer is not going to change - unless you have a darn good reason and a separate computer, don’t bother with pre-release apple software. I have and trust me, you are best waiting until it’s finally out.

This is defiantly a “if you have to ask, you aren’t going to like the answer"

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Normally I would agree with the above poster...

However...

Mountain Lion DP3 is absolutely safe to put on personal Macs (mileage may vary).

I have it installed on my iMac and Macbook Pro.

Both work flawlessly. I have about 2 dozen pieces of software installed and all work well under ML, with many companies already offering compatible updates.

Mountain Lion DP3 is the most polished preview I have ever seen. Actually see improved speed on my machines. Safari is much faster. I could just imagine how much better the final release will be.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Normally I would agree with the above poster...

However...

Mountain Lion DP3 is absolutely safe to put on personal Macs (mileage may vary).

I have it installed on my iMac and Macbook Pro.

Both work flawlessly. I have about 2 dozen pieces of software installed and all work well under ML, with many companies already offering compatible updates.

Mountain Lion DP3 is the most polished preview I have ever seen. Actually see improved speed on my machines. Safari is much faster. I could just imagine how much better the final release will be.

Yes, but someone asking about it, most likely doesn't have experience to deal with issues that may arise from running beta software, that may or may not work with everyones machines.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Agreed. No argument on that.

I'm just amazed how well DP3 is working on my machine.

And, yes, there are small bugs here and there but nothing drastic.

kooskoos1814

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I've had three crash-reboot on my MBA 13'' since I installed the DP3 (one week). Wasn't doing anything special, just loading Safari or editing some files.

Nothing else though, seems noticeably faster than Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.