Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueandyellow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
hey all.....just having 2nd thoughts. i'm about to jump in the car and buy a 12" pb with superdrive, ipod, printer....all with edu discount. i can't take it anymore. but i'm concerned that there's going to be an update in 2 weeks. whatcha think?

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
blueandyellow said:
hey all.....just having 2nd thoughts. i'm about to jump in the car and buy a 12" pb with superdrive, ipod, printer....all with edu discount. i can't take it anymore. but i'm concerned that there's going to be an update in 2 weeks. whatcha think?

do it, updates prob wont be earth shattering anyway.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I am waiting patiently till September 12 as my cut off date because I want to get it right before my B-Day. Hopefully by then both books will be updated unless Apple pulls a iBook on the Powerbook.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
If your going to use it this fall for school and you have a computer now, I would wait till the last day.

But if you don't have a system now, buy it today and you will be happy, the next rev will not do anything todays can not.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
mate your the only who can answer that question, remember 2 things though before spending any money
1. Do i need that much computer or will something else do the job required
2. Are you getting value for money?

blueandyellow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
guys, big thanks for your help. i'm working on a piece of crap pc that crashes every 10 mins....no joke. i've been waiting for over a year for this thing......so i'm thinking what's another month. but i feel like i need something now so that i can get work done on it....and i also see what you're saying that any updates won't be earth-shattering.

dylomel

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2004
PB

buy it,,,,, though i hv been waiting for the G5 PB that probably will not exist ! :D

gregorydanger

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2004
Michigan
If you need it, go for it.

If there's any PowerBook updates soon.. like mentioned before, they won't be drastic -- Apple's probably waiting for the Intel switch to do anything crazy-like.

What they're offering now are wonderful machines, albeit a little pricey considering their age (IMHO). Go for it.

blueandyellow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
so i actually drove for 2 hours that night just to get to within 10 miles of the store at closing time......got stuck in 2 traffic jams. (i drove so far to try to save on sales tax.) i'm so bad with decisions.....especially my first new computer in 7 years. now i'm seeing it as a sign to just wait even more......i don't feel like driving up there again right now. i've been waiting for over a year.....what's another month or 2?

also, i thought that a good friend bought a 12" pb last summer around august (and got the ipod through the cram and jam offer) RIGHT after they were updated. but i checked this site and it has no record of there being an update last august. but i could swear that there was a pb update last summer DURING the cram and jam offer.

thanks again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.