Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
My 2010 MBA has two very noticeable (when the screen is not on) marks across the width of the screen which can only have been caused by touching the keyboard.

Can't see them when screen is on and I used the machine daily, so haven't got around to taking into Apple, but has anyone had the screen replaced on Applecare?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you try wiping the screen to see if the marks come off?

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Just make sure you wipe the screen first - if there are still marks (which does occasionally happen), just take it to an Apple store and show it to them.

I've seen this happen from time to time on this board when people are carrying the Air in backpacks or other bags with lots of other, heavy items like books.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sarcastic? #

No, I was serious. In the past, Apple laptop keyboards would make marks on the screen when the lid was closed. Perhaps the OP's laptop has this occurring.

Before bringing it to apple, see if these marks will come off.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Yes, I have tried to wipe the marks off :rolleyes:

Hard to photograph, but you can see part of the mark in the image below the reflection :

mba_screen.jpg

It looks like it lines up with the bottom row of keys. 1 lines runs from the alt-alt keys and a smaller line above is about the width of the space bar. Looks like very small pit marks.

I'll make sure I get it into a store before the Applecare runs out

Last edited by a moderator:

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
It looks like your screen has a plastic screen protector that is coming off.
Maybe it's jut the photo. :confused:

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Once you get it fixed, check out:
http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

Just toss it over the keyboard when you close the lid and it keeps the oils from getting on the LCD. Should also help protect against physical damage too.

I felt stupid paying $15 (plus shipping) for a small piece of cloth but I now don't have to worry about possible screen damage from the keyboard. To be honest, any piece of cheap microfiber cloth would work just as well but the Radtech is the same color as the MBA and won't embarrass you when friends see it.

DvlFig

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Or.. you can get the iVisor or a Keyboard cover. I use both, cause I have OCD like that... :)

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
Or.. you can get the iVisor or a Keyboard cover. I use both, cause I have OCD like that... :)

I always cringe just a bit when i hear "keyboard cover". The keyboard is part of the MBA heat dissipation system. Covering it up is kind of like wrapping it in a blanket. Having a cloth to put over the keys when packing up for the day isn't a bad thing, but leaving a silicone cover on while using the system is on my not to-do list.

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011

But that doesn't solve the problem. Then, the oils that get on the keyboard will just get on the keyboard cover which is even more elevated and even more likely to get on the screen and since the I visor is there, it will just cause even more contact and you will have to wipe it off even more. That's why using a thin microfiber cloth is a much better choice.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I always cringe just a bit when i hear "keyboard cover". The keyboard is part of the MBA heat dissipation system. Covering it up is kind of like wrapping it in a blanket. Having a cloth to put over the keys when packing up for the day isn't a bad thing, but leaving a silicone cover on while using the system is on my not to-do list.

I've seen many arguments on the subject of whether or not the keyboard is part of the MBA's cooling system. I've never taken my 2010 11" MBA apart to see and I'm not sure which argument is accurate. However, I have used a Moshi keyboard cover on my MBA since I got it and have never had one problem with heat. I use my MBA in clamshell mode about 70% of the time, and even with the keyboard cover on then I've never had a single heat issue. I've even had longer gaming sessions (2 or 3 hours) in clamshell mode with the keyboard cover on and there've been zero problems.

Personally, I think if you get a high quality keyboard cover they can be great. My keyboard is in pristine condition, the computer is protected from inadvertent spills, and I think it can also save the screen from marks such as the OP might have. Sure, the keyboard feels a bit different, but once you get used to it I don't think its a problem, and it actually makes the keyboard a bit quieter.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Thanks for the heads up on the Radtech products. Have ordered a ScreenSavrz for use when I have a nice new mark free screen ;)

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I had this issue, where the aluminum edge under the space bar and above the track pad left marks on my screen. I got a photodon screen protector instead (after getting the screen fixed).

DvlFig

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
You guys must have greasy hands :) I've never had an issue with my keyboard cover leaving grease stains on my iVisor. I clean it like, twice a week just to remove the usual dust. If you read here, you'll see that a Keyboard cover will not make your MBA overheat. I use this Keyboard cover, which has a "ventilation system" to allow heat to escape.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's not the keyboard itself causing the damage, but dust particles stuck to the keytops by skin oil. No expensive or fancy protector needed. Just wipe off the keytops with a clean dustcloth before closing the lid. And maybe put a clean sheet of paper on top of the keytops before closing the lid.

Sheppard

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
Kent, UK
Hard to prove that the keys are touching the screen as it will be closed!! But of course this should be filed under faulty and should be fixed under warranty as the original design didnt have the keys touching the screen...hopefully.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Not sure if it's exactly where your issue is, but the MBA has a problem regarding the screen pressing against the trackpad area, its manifests itself as a light mark that you can only see when the screen is set to a higher brightness, displaying black and at sometimes only at certain vertical angles.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Really impressed with Apple's service today at the Buchanan Street Store in Glasgow!

Had booked a genius appointment for 11:00 and arrived a few minutes early to check out the MBPR (which is lovely, but don't think I could use one until MS Office is updated as the text was terrible)

They looked at the machine, and even found a similar mark to those on the screen at the bottom of the display (across the MBA logo) so booked it in for a replacement screen.

I was told they had a screen in stock and it was an easy repair so they'd try to get it done in a couple of hours! I'd already booked tickets to watch Prometheus at 11:30 and by the time it had finished I'd already missed a call and had an e-mail from the store to say it was ready to collect!

Back home with a shinny new screen and a Radtech cover to prevent any further damage!

Superb job :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.