Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fordandrew87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
I wonder if Apple has ever considered selling this new 3-d technology, similar to this Sharp product: http://store.sharpsystems.com/product.asp?sku=2625331

The Sharp Actius AL3DU notebook features a 15-inch XGA (1024 x 768) TFT 3D LCD display panel that switches from 2D to 3D and back with the touch of a button- email, word processing, spreadsheets in 2D, then bam!, you're molecular modeling, designing or gaming in 3D!
Sharp's TFT 3D LCD technology offers a realistic sense of depth and presence. Using a parallax barrier, light from the LCD is divided so that different patterns reach the viewer's left and right eye. This makes it possible for the image on the screen appear in three dimensions without having to wear special glasses.

I thought this looked pretty cool; it would be awesome to have this technology in upcoming lines, cough, such as the Powerbook!

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
wow i want that computer so badly now. imagine if Apple came out with a 3D mac os x...that would be sweet.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Sharp released the Actius 3D laptop last year, in the reviews since, it has been widely regarded as more than unpractical. Apparently, the current "desktop" metaphor is not suited for a 3D environment. Additionally, many of the reviewers got nauseaus doing simple computing tasks and noted that the gaming enhancement was subtle, at best.

Overall, I dont' think the market is ready for this technology. Perhaps sometime down the line, but honestly, I don't see it happening for a very long time.

dylomel

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2004
keyboard

that keyboard will ROCK with either laptop or desktop......and i love bothhhhhhhh... :p

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Seems like a 3D monitor would give me headaches. I think I'll stick with my flat panel for a while...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
risc said:
I keep seeing that keyboard everywhere and I must be the only person in the world that thinks it's completely horrible.

I'll give you, the design and layout of it isn't the best, but it's just a prototype. You gotta look at the technology, man. Each and every key is a display. You got that? Every. One. Of. Them.

*does the monkey dance*

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Raven VII said:
I'll give you, the design and layout of it isn't the best, but it's just a prototype. You gotta look at the technology, man. Each and every key is a display. You got that? Every. One. Of. Them.

*does the monkey dance*

Oh I love the idea of it, but as it is I'd pass. :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Slightly off-topic but here's an interview with the people who designed the Optimus keyboard. Positing a price point in excess of $200-$300 and delivery in about a year, it's beginning to look interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.