Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novice2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Hi, I have aquired a Panasonic NV-GS75 Camcorder. I was told it was Mac compatible but the software supplied is for PC only. There does not appear to be a firewire port on the camera and my Powerbook did not recognise the USB 2 connection. Is this camera compatible with Mac? If so, what do I need?

Can anyone help?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Welcome to the Forum

For best results, only post in one place :)

Four posts: here, here, here, and here

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you with your problem

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I am sure that the GS75 has a firewire output, I only have the GS250 but I know for sure that the GS65 has a firewire output. Panasonic calls it mini DV or just DV output...it does not look like the normal firewire port on your mac...its more like a square U shape. Check under the display. If you have iMovie, FCE or FCP you can controll the camcorder from your mac (in the VCR or VTR mode). You can even use the camera as a web cam through iChat (in the normal recording mode, you dont have to press record though). Or try the mirror widget.

The software supplied by Pana does not work a mac... but you wont need it. Even iMovie is better.

Have Fun

novice2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Panasonic Camcorder Problems

Thanks, that's a great help. I was confused because a firewire cable was not supplied with the camera and I'm new to all this. Should my Mac recognise firewire when connected? Is it then easy to upload films onto iMovie?

Much obliged

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
novice2005 said:
Thanks, that's a great help. I was confused because a firewire cable was not supplied with the camera and I'm new to all this. Should my Mac recognise firewire when connected? Is it then easy to upload films onto iMovie?

Much obliged

Yes, if iMovie is open and you connect a camera via firewire iMovie should "see" the camera and you can start digitizing the footage. You'll need a 4-to-6 pin firewire cable (it's big on one end and little on the other).

Lethal

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
You'll need a 4-to-6 pin firewire cable (it's big on one end and little on the other).

If you need to buy a cable, check out ebay. I just bought one for my new sony for about $10 shipped. Looked in stores and firewire cables can go for $25-$40 :eek:

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
I got some pretty good Belkin PureAV 4-6 pin cables for around $17 from buy.com (and from some other stores as well). I thought, "why skimp on the cable after spending a lot on the camcorder?" :D

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
wiseguy27 said:
I got some pretty good Belkin PureAV 4-6 pin cables for around $17 from buy.com (and from some other stores as well). I thought, "why skimp on the cable after spending a lot on the camcorder?" :D

Cable quality shouldn't matter on a digital connection...you should get the same picture quality from a $17 dollar cable as a $75 cable...unless the cable itself is defective (bad connector, etc)..right?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
LethalWolfe said:
Yes, if iMovie is open and you connect a camera via firewire iMovie should "see" the camera and you can start digitizing the footage. You'll need a 4-to-6 pin firewire cable (it's big on one end and little on the other).

Lethal

looks like this was answered, but year, this should solve your problem. Forget included software. It will work fine with imovie.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
MacFan25863 said:
Cable quality shouldn't matter on a digital connection...you should get the same picture quality from a $17 dollar cable as a $75 cable...unless the cable itself is defective (bad connector, etc)..right?
I guess it also depends on the quality of shielding (and the amount of interference it can prevent) - there is a limit to error correction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.