Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macinbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
We've got a good old G4 Cube which stopped working today. It was working fine earlier, and now it just won't power up. It just looks dead.

First thing I thought of was the power supply, so i opened the cube, and looked on the diagnostic LED, and indeed the Cube had no power in. I also checked it with a voltmeter (on the AGP riser card) where it was supposed to be 28 volts, and it had no current at all. I also tried the PMU reset switch, it didn't help anything.

Power supply it was.

And now...

We needed a working Cube real quick, so we asked one of our friends for his cube's power supply for a few days. So we get to his office with him, and his didn't power up any more either, yet it worked earlier today as well (he did some backups earlier)

What gives????????????

:confused: :confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The Cube was released exactly 5 years ago tomorrow. Maybe it's a midlife crisis or something.

(Really, did his power supply stop working before or after you plugged it into your Cube? Maybe something about your Cube is shorting out the supplies?)

Macinbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
It quit working on his machine, before I tried it on ours.

I really have no idea of whats happening. Nothing looks / smells fried or anything.

Nor sure about his but our Cube has been plugged on a UPS all the time..

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you can get a replacement psu by either getting one off ebay or useing one of these the psu that powers that is identical the the g4 cube psu.

it wont be the dc-dc board as you said there is no 28V which comes straight from the external psu, next time place the psu in a ventilated area, 99% of psu's are air cooled not passive and they need to stay cool.

CiBoys

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
Turn it into a fish tank like i did :)

Attachments

• HPIM0128.jpg
    HPIM0128.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 139

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I have two cubes that still work great. We bought them at a discount from my wife's employer when her lab computers were upgraded. However, out of her 8 cubes, only 5 were still working when her lab was upgraded last year.

CiBoys

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
Macinbest said:
We've got a good old G4 Cube which stopped working today. It was working fine earlier, and now it just won't power up. It just looks dead.

First thing I thought of was the power supply, so i opened the cube, and looked on the diagnostic LED, and indeed the Cube had no power in. I also checked it with a voltmeter (on the AGP riser card) where it was supposed to be 28 volts, and it had no current at all. I also tried the PMU reset switch, it didn't help anything.

Power supply it was.

And now...

We needed a working Cube real quick, so we asked one of our friends for his cube's power supply for a few days. So we get to his office with him, and his didn't power up any more either, yet it worked earlier today as well (he did some backups earlier)

What gives????????????

:confused: :confused:

do you think is the Cube's power sensor?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5218767576&category=4601&rd=1
This is the chip that powers up the sucker...

Macinbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Is there another way to power it up ?

//edit : although I know the power isin't even getting there :\

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it needs 28V, if you find a powermac power supply which has a 28V line (any with ADC) you could hook it up, though i'd just buy a cube psu.

Macinbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
By this i meant is there another way to make the cube start up other than the sensor button on the top.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
oh, you can run the cube naked and touch the sensor directly, then it's far more sensitive, or if you find the pin out (probably some place at http://www.cubeowner.com) you could just short it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.