PDA

View Full Version : How many of you actually listen to "podcasts" on your iPod?

Cfg5
Jul 18, 2005, 04:06 AM
I've been finding myself listening to podcasts on my emac most of the time, rather than my ipod. How many of you listen to podcasts on your ipod most of the time?

eXan
Jul 18, 2005, 04:38 AM
Never on iPod, never on computer

Patch^
Jul 18, 2005, 05:07 AM
i normally listen to podcasts while im on the bus with my iPod. I listen to podcasts every now and then on my mac.

Sharewaredemon
Jul 18, 2005, 05:46 AM
I don't have enough spare time to listen to podcasts.

If I did have more free time, I'd listen to them on my computer, but not my iPod.

Emerson
Jul 18, 2005, 06:13 AM
I listen to podcasts on my ipod while I am at work mostly. Just sitting at the computer doing calculations, writing lab reports, working in CAD, Etc.

cooknwitha
Jul 18, 2005, 06:20 AM
I've listened to portions of a bunch of podcasts and was rather underwhelmed. I'm sure there are good ones out there but those I've found seem like a group of bored friends with a microphone.

So I don't listen anymore. But I love Club 977 on internet radio. :)

eXan
Jul 18, 2005, 06:23 AM
Never on iPod, never on computer

I have just downloaded an Inside Mac Radio Jul 15th podcast and listened to it. Not that bad, but pity that its in english and its just small chucks of radio shows, nothing special. Probably will listen to some podcasts on my iPod

witness
Jul 18, 2005, 06:30 AM
I just use my computer.

Until iPods support video and radio I don't really have need of one.

wordmunger
Jul 18, 2005, 06:43 AM
I listen to podcasts in the car using my shuffle and a stereo cassette adapter. I don't usually listen to mac-oriented ones because I've typically already seen all the news here, so they seem rather silly. However, I really like Grape Radio, which is a podcast about wine -- not quite as professional as, say NPR, but a pretty good podcast. Reel Reviews Radio, a movie podcast, isn't bad either.

Veldek
Jul 18, 2005, 06:47 AM
I don't yet listen to them neither on my iPod nor on my Mac. But the "Tagesschau" (a German news show) is bringing out a podcast of their 15-minute show at the end of July. If I can download them before I go to work, I will listen to them on my way there, because I often miss the show in the evening.

PlaceofDis
Jul 18, 2005, 06:48 AM
MacPolls has a thread on this, might help to check that out too..... but no i have never used a podcast and will not in the foreseeable future

DarkNetworks
Jul 18, 2005, 07:31 AM
i do listen to podcasts on my com...ipod? no...
:D

mad jew
Jul 18, 2005, 07:32 AM
Never have. Probably never will. :)

I think it's because I get bored way too easily. Short attention span... :(

mac 2005
Jul 18, 2005, 07:33 AM
Not a one. The only thing I'd really be interested in, though, is "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered" from NPR.

Were they available, I'd be podcasting.

wwooden
Jul 18, 2005, 07:41 AM
I have about a 30 minute commute and I listen to Podcasts during that time. I used to get some of the Mac oriented ones, but I know most of the stuff they are talking about. I now listen to mostly science ones, a few sports, and a movie review one. Some examples are Universe Today, Science @ NASA, First Take Movie Reviews, and ESPN Radio.

rosalindavenue
Jul 18, 2005, 08:10 AM
I have XM radio; between that, audiobooks and music on the ipod, and NPR I have more content to choose from in my car than I do in my house. I did grab Terry Gross' White Stripes interview (free on itunes) to try out a podcast-- pretty nifty, in a TiVO sort of way. But in general, no, I haven't been listening to podcasts. I think they are like video games-- plenty of people have time for them; just not me.

feakbeak
Jul 18, 2005, 08:20 AM
- Mostly listen to podcasts on iPod at work
- Sometimes listen in my car with iTrip
- Seldomly listen on my Mac Mini

On average, I listen to about a half dozen podcasts a week. So far my favorites are TWIT, Science Friday and This Week in Science.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 18, 2005, 08:22 AM
Downloaded a few, just to test it, never actually listened to any. They managed to get synced over to my mini, but I as soon as I discovered them they went straight off again.

Don't listen to radio, have no need for podcasts (at least not any I've found, yet).

Nickygoat
Jul 18, 2005, 09:32 AM
Don't listen to them either. I had a browse through them after iTunes added then but nothing leapt out at me.

joepunk
Jul 18, 2005, 10:03 AM
I listen to podcasts (especially CBC Radio 3 (http://www.cbcradio3.com) and Battlestar Galactica commentary) on my PB. On my iPod, I just don't have enough time. Funny as it is a 10-15 min. walk to school (summer school gives more time to enjoy the pleasures of this world). But, I usually just like to listen to the sounds of nature, cars zooming by and saying hello to passing students like myself instead of plugging in some headphones.

SneekyCheef
Jul 18, 2005, 11:01 AM
These Are Podacast That Deserve a Listen

I am a designer and I really like to listen these podcast in the car on my way to work (via iPod) AND while I work on my computer. If you deal with anything creative they really seem to give you some insight and inspiration.

Media Artist Secrets - Hosted by Franklin McMahon
www.mediaartist.com (http://www.mediaartist.com)
- This podcast is from a studio professional that gives great pep talks about the media industry, building your career and working towards your goals as a creative. **Its really fascinating to listen to the production quality increase as the series progresses**

SpaceMusic - Hosted by TC
www.spacemusic.com (http://spacemusic.libsyn.com/)
- This podcast is a little different to explain but you can't stop listening once you start. TC is a music producer from Rotterdam, Netherlands that incorporates every element of life into his podcast. If he is baking cookies you will hear the recipe over ambient beats. He has special guest that are always fascinating. My favorites are podcast that take place with TC floating "in space" while conducting his podcast "250 Kilometers above sea level".

The Beat Oracle (http://www.podcast.net/show/17417) - Hosted by Michael and Noah
- HOT Underground HIP HOP and ELECTRONIC

Just a couple of things yall might wanna check out!!!

DocB
Jul 18, 2005, 11:41 AM
I listen to Insomnia Radio on my iPod...it's a weekly show. I don't think I'd have time to listen to a daily show.

jiv3turkey748
Jul 18, 2005, 12:01 PM
i tried to listen to a mac news podcast but the people were too nerdy and i couldnt stand the way their voices sounded and i tried the espn radi one but its always just a little part of the show so its pretty lame too

xli_ne
Jul 18, 2005, 12:52 PM
espn ever so often.

ham_man
Jul 18, 2005, 12:58 PM
Never on my iPod, rarely on my computer...

jayscheuerle
Jul 18, 2005, 01:15 PM
Most podcasts seem to be the professional equivalent of a 2nd grade Christmas pageant, with a sound quality that rivals tin cans strung together with kite string. Imagine being ten steps BELOW local cable access programming or college radio in production value and content.

Should be "pudcasts"...

fistful
Jul 18, 2005, 01:23 PM
nope, either on my powerbook or PSP. I don't have an iPod... yet.

JD92
Jul 18, 2005, 03:31 PM
I listen to Inside Mac Radio and The Mac Observer To Go:Mac Geek Gab

aswitcher
Jul 18, 2005, 03:40 PM
Its almost all I listen to now. Plenty of tech casts as well as scifi.

Heb1228
Jul 18, 2005, 03:49 PM
I listen to them on my computer usually. I'll probably listen to them on my iPod at some point, but haven't yet.

rainman::|:|
Jul 18, 2005, 05:33 PM
My iPod's battery is dead, and my library is almost too big anyway, so I'm without one until I get some cash... I wind up listening to them on my Mac tho, although most of them have not lived up to my expectations... some of them are just plain bad (anyone listen to the Queer Eye tips?). But there are a couple I like enough to keep downloading.

sigamy
Mar 7, 2006, 09:14 PM
I discovered podcasts when they were added to iTMS, before that I had barely heard of them but never bothered with RSS feeds, etc. iTunes made it so simple to find and subscribe.

I have a 50 minute commute and I find that I now listen to podcasts every morning and sometimes during the PM drive home too. For me it was really a combination of iTunes making it easy, my lack of new music to listen to, and Howard Stern moving to Sirius. I used to listen to Stern until he'd start with the "oh, baby you're hot" stuff or until I hit the 10 minutes of commericals.

I never listen to podcasts on my Mac.

I listen to:
the MacCast: all the latest mac news, rumors
TWIT: Leo Laporte and other old TechTV guys
Filmmaking Central: the art and business of making movies
The DV Show: hobbist and professional digital video tips and info
The Colmination: 20-something dudes drinking and talking
The Dave Ramsey Show: personal finance & get-out-of-debt guru
The Lost Podcast with Jay and Jack: Lost TV show
Pixelriffic Podcast: more on digital video production
Creative Cow: all things for media pros, photoshop, DV, etc
The Onion Radio News: great news parodies

puckhead193
Mar 7, 2006, 09:17 PM
i watch the mactv podcast (ipod edition) on my iPod :D :cool:
i mostly listen to TWiT while doing something in my room

treblah
Mar 7, 2006, 09:37 PM
Never on my computer, only on my iPod when in the car with a drive over 30 minutes.

'On The Media' from WNYC/NPR is the only one though.

dornoforpyros
Mar 7, 2006, 09:39 PM
The only podcast I listen to is CBC Radio 3. It's great at work to hear some new music without having to resort to *shutter* the radio

sprstu
Mar 7, 2006, 10:21 PM
I listen/watch the commandN podcast on my ipod. amber mac is great and mikle is decent tech nerd. I dont really have a commute or anything, so its more of a "when I get vored with the internet" kinda thing. sometimes I wish I had a 30-45min bus ride to work so I could listen to more music during the day.

Kernow
Mar 8, 2006, 01:49 AM
I've only ever listened to the Ricky Gervais podcasts on my iPod. As they were half an hour long, they fitted perfectly with my commute into work. Except for the fact I kept getting funny looks for giggling like a fool.

I haven't listened to any on my computer - this seems strange to me, almost like sitting down specifically to listen to the radio. I tend to have music playing when I use the computer.

njmac
Mar 8, 2006, 01:53 AM
Just on my computer. I don't really sync my iPod all that often. All of the music I own is on my iPod.

Chundles
Mar 8, 2006, 01:59 AM
I used to have a bunch I'd listen to on my iPod, now it's just down to the Ricky Gervais Show (so funny I crack up laughing in the street) and some random Aussie ones from Triple J.

joepunk
Mar 8, 2006, 02:43 AM
Ok, revision time. I listen to podcasts and watch Vidcasts (sp?) all the time now. I wish I could listen to my foreign language ones more so I can really brush up before I head to Europe in 4 months from now.

Littleodie914
Mar 8, 2006, 05:48 AM
Diggnation all the way baby! :D Kevin Rose is my hero... :p :o

displaced
Mar 8, 2006, 06:23 AM
I listen to them every week (at least) on my iPod, but not on my Mac.

I subscribe to the podcast from my favourite breakfast radio show (Christian O'Connell on Virgin Radio). I'm not able to listen to the whole show every day, so Friday's "best of the week" podcast is great to listen to.

Also, I subscribe to a couple of BBC podcasts, such as the Radio 4 Today programme. Plus, the Ricky Gervais podcast (of course!).

I have a Smart Playlist that gives me 1hr of 3-star and above music which I've not listened to for at least 10 days, plus any newly-downloaded unlistened-to podcasts. It's a really cool companion to my commuting. Guaranteed music I like but haven't heard recently, plus the latest podcasts.

It took me a while to 'get' podcasting, but I wouldn't be without it now.

iGary
Mar 8, 2006, 06:24 AM
Never.

achie25
Mar 8, 2006, 07:36 AM
I listen to podcasts on both my computer and my ipod. Ipod usually in the car or even at home on ihome.

I like

inside mac
dave ramsey
espn

jayscheuerle
Mar 8, 2006, 07:45 AM
It's all I listen to. Never music anymore.

m-dogg
Mar 8, 2006, 07:56 AM
Never on my iPod, but I do subscribe to TikiBar TV (or whatever it's called) and watch that on my iMac. Lala is hot! ;)

sunfast
Mar 8, 2006, 08:11 AM
I subscribed to a few, but don't bother with them now. Have too much music to listen to and I can't be bothered to wade through the cr*p out there. When (and if) the BBC extend their podcast trial to some more of their shows I'd use it much more.

DavidLeblond
Mar 8, 2006, 08:17 AM
I listen to TWiT (http://www.thisweekintech.com/) and The Nightsound Show (http://www.nightsound.com/radio) on my Nano every week on the trip to and from work. Usually between the two of them I can get through them in the first four days of the week...

TsuaSai
Mar 8, 2006, 08:23 AM
I listen to about 10 a day. I listen to them on my Ipod and computer at work. Everything from tech, gaming, news, all kinds of stuff.

shadowmoses
Mar 8, 2006, 08:25 AM
More on my computer, but i still sync them to my iPod for when im bored on the bus or something....

Love the MacCast and Diggnation...

SHadow

mrgreen4242
Mar 8, 2006, 08:30 AM
I have in the past, but do not currently listen to any podcasts. I listen to A LOT of spoken word stuff on my iPod, though. Mainly audiobooks, but when I am between books or am not particulalry enjoying the one I am currently listening to I'll play a podcast.

Mostly I enjoy NPR programming (On the Media, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Talk of the Nation are al excellent), which really aren't podcast except for the means of delivery. I will listen to a Lost podcast now and again, especially after a particularly good episode. Like last weeks. Season 2 is finally hitting it's stride and starting to live up to last season!

balamw
Mar 8, 2006, 08:42 AM
I have in the past, but do not currently listen to any podcasts. I listen to A LOT of spoken word stuff on my iPod, though.
I bought my first iPod (the 4G 20 GB) specifically to listen to audiobooks in the car as I have a 1 hour+ commute, but as I started loading more of my music up I started to rediscover my music collection. So I went through a phase of not listening to any audiobooks as I loaded and rated my 700+ CD music collection.

These days I tend to split it half/half. Music one way and podcast/audiobook the other.

I particularly enjoy a few of the KCRW (LA NPR station) podcasts, as I would listen to them on the radio if I had the chance. "Left, Right and Center", "Le Show", "To the Point", "Which Way LA", ... To that I 've added "Science Friday" and "The Ricky Gervais Show" (when it was free) as favorites.

B

GITANAJAVA
Mar 8, 2006, 10:25 AM
Because of my work (arts and entertainment consulting) I dl podcasts/vodcasts daily -- about half are music subscriptions like Ritmo Latino and ZydecoRoad from iTunes, a few I dl from Odeo.com (great for alternative and emerging artists), some direct from clients; the other half are spoken word and vodcasts, again with some from iTunes and Odeo.com and a few direct from performers' and artists' websites.

As for listening habits, its 70% iBook (with speaker system) and 30% iPod: I iPod when I'm in transit -- travelling, walking, in a conference room waiting for a meeting to start, and need to "just give a listen" to new material and releases. When it's time to seriously critique or discuss someone's work, it's the iBook.

Sam*
Mar 8, 2006, 10:28 AM
I Only listen to music Podcasts and they are the Electronoic Periodic Collection

Kernow
Mar 8, 2006, 10:29 AM
When (and if) the BBC extend their podcast trial to some more of their shows I'd use it much more.

Very true - I love the 'Listen Again' feature. If they manage to implement a podcast version, I will be a very happy man (particularly the Mark Radcliffe show).

noel4r
Mar 8, 2006, 10:44 AM
I used to listen to them a lot on my iPod. Recently, I've been listening to Stern so I've unsubscribe to most of my podcasts.

bennyek
Mar 8, 2006, 10:46 AM
I have almost stopped listening to music because I don't have time after listening to all my podcasts. I listen to about 1 hour of podcasts a night. TWIT Diggnation, dl.tv, Mac Cast, Mac Break, etc... I also listen in my car on the way from and to work, and in California that can be alot of time in the car.
You can get hooked on them just like a tv show. But the only difference is they are FREE!! can't beat that!

flir67
Mar 8, 2006, 11:07 AM
have ipod and ibook, depends on what I'm doing, but mostly listen on ibook after work to discovery channel or nightline with cbs... keeps me up on the news.

TheDulcimer
Mar 8, 2006, 03:26 PM
I found a hilarious video podcast called "Olde English Comedy" or some such name ;) that is at times better than SNL or MadTV. But i guess that and Strongbad Email is all i do cause i am a humorous guy and i have the video ipod so i want something besides 1.5 hour movies.

-The Dulcimer-

Lopez.T.H.
Mar 8, 2006, 06:13 PM
Yes, I do. I have over 2GB of podcasts. Maybe more.

Electro Funk
Mar 8, 2006, 06:18 PM
I have XM & Sirius in my ride and somehow i still manage to listen to most of the Democracy Now Podcast during the day. (while i'm on the road for work) ;)

jkelly888
Mar 8, 2006, 06:19 PM
video podcasts, i watch all of them.
audio podcasts, no.

After G
Mar 8, 2006, 07:36 PM
Can't listen or watch. I find them irrelevant and unentertaining. But that's just me. :D

alexstein
Mar 8, 2006, 07:52 PM
I like to listen to podcasts on my iPod sometimes at work and sometimes on the way to work.

As soon as you get started on those you can't stop.

briangig
Mar 8, 2006, 11:05 PM
diggnation, TWiT, dl.tv, a few others. I usually watch the video podcasts on the computer, or listen video or audio podcasts in the car.

BoyBach
Mar 9, 2006, 01:58 PM
I listen to podcasts on both my iPod & iMac.

My faves being Mark Kermode film reviews, In Business & In Our Time (all BBC) plus TWiT. I also have a yoga video podcast (it's free after all :D )