PDA

View Full Version : eMac won't accept blank CD

Cindy
Jul 19, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'm wanting to copy some stuff onto a CD but when I insert the blank CD, it just pops it out (opens up). What gives??

ITASOR
Jul 19, 2005, 03:10 PM
Did you try another blank CD? Or another brand?

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2005, 03:16 PM
Some eMac models only have a CD-ROM drive rather than a combo or super.

Have you been able to burn on this machine before?

dsharits
Jul 19, 2005, 03:20 PM
Some eMac models only have a CD-ROM drive rather than a combo or super.

Have you been able to burn on this machine before?
This is exactly what my CD-ROM drive in my iBook G3 used to do when I inserted a blank CD. If it was a disk error or a drive error, I would expect it to put up a message telling you that the disk is unreadable, or something like that. That, or it would just spin up and down forever.

Cindy
Jul 19, 2005, 03:23 PM
MIne is the 800 MHz PowerPC G4. Knowing my luck... it probably doesn't have a CD-RW drive! I don't remember if I ordered a combo drive. I see in my specs that it only says CD-ROM. In that area, it should say CD-RW also?
No, I have never burned anything - never had a need til now.

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2005, 03:25 PM
Okay, check the System Profiler then (About This Mac, then more info...). Under Hardware->ATA, what does it show as installed?

dsharits
Jul 19, 2005, 03:29 PM
MIne is the 800 MHz PowerPC G4. Knowing my luck... it probably doesn't have a CD-RW drive! I don't remember if I ordered a combo drive. I see in my specs that it only says CD-ROM. In that area, it should say CD-RW also?
No, I have never burned anything - never had a need til now.
If it says CD-ROM in your specs, then that's your answer. It will either say CD-ROM, Combo or SuperDrive to indicate which drive you have. My guess is that this is the ATi Graphics eMac, in which the lower-end model was an 800 MHz G4 with a 32x CD-ROM drive.

Cindy
Jul 19, 2005, 03:36 PM
If it says CD-ROM in your specs, then that's your answer. It will either say CD-ROM, Combo or SuperDrive to indicate which drive you have. My guess is that this is the ATi Graphics eMac, in which the lower-end model was an 800 MHz G4 with a 32x CD-ROM drive.

That's what I was afraid of! It says nothing about a combo drive. Oh well. :(
I wish I hadn't opened up the package of blanks. Didn't pay too much for them.
I work at a university, (they have Macs) I can check there and see if they have CD-RW acceptable computers and maybe I can do what I need to do there.

If something is burned onto a CD from a PC, can a Mac read it? What does one need to do for that to happen?
I had someone burn a short video on a CD for me -- they had a PC and my Mac couldn't read it.

leticia
May 29, 2008, 05:25 PM
Okay, check the System Profiler then (About This Mac, then more info...). Under Hardware->ATA, what does it show as installed?

I have tha same problem with cd-rw...
on my Mac, it shows as installed:
"HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N"
is it the same issue? what can i do?
thanks