Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If everyone else gets to do these threads, I guess I will too. :p

So the contents of the refurb store have been changing a *lot* recently! And a newcomer today, or at least very recently, seems to be the PB 12" 1.33GHz Combo Drive with a 60GB HD (rev. C, I guess), for $1099US.

Soooooo tempting.

When Tiger came out, I debated between upgrading from my iBook at the time and getting Tiger, and chose to get Tiger, but since then I've been thinking twice.

I think my plan is to definitely upgrade before Mactels arrive, and then possibly again a year or two after they arrive, and things have been ironed out.

I am trying to decide between the following... (coming from an iBook G4 /800 with 640MB and a 40GB HD)

- Get a Rev C PB 12" now, upgrade to 1.25GB of RAM -- relatively low upgrade cost, based on the likely sellability of the iBook. I get more RAM and a fairly substantial processor boost out of it, as well as a little more HD space

- Get a Rev D PB 12" after the next rev comes out, and its price as a refurb has reached the price point the Rev C is at now. I have mixed feelings about this -- I use BT heavily, so I could imagine wanting BT2 once devices start becoming available. OTOH, the rest of the upgrades are not a big deal to me, since in some ways I prefer SideTrack to Apple's system.

(depending on availability, I'm also loosely considering either of those options with SD models instead of Combo models)

- Buy a network HD, and maybe a RAM upgrade for my iBook (since several people here have reported success with upping the rev A iBook beyond the stated ceiling to 1.125 GB of RAM by putting in a 1GB SO-DIMM anyway) and bide my time. The big up of this is that I really need a network HD anyway. Even a superdrive will be too much of a nuisance for me to use it for backups much, and I have no real desire to burn DVDs for any non-backup purposes.

- Wait for an iBook update, because I really like the white and would rather have an iBook for cosmetic reasons. :rolleyes: The biggest problem with iBooks is that I have to always buy a BTO one, because of the way they are typically spec'd out. The refurbs at the Apple store rarely have BT, which is a must, and often have HDs that are too small.

Money is less of an issue than principle.... I can't convince myself I need a new computer unless the net outlay is sufficiently small that it seems like a steal. ;)

Anyone have advice or want to commiserate??? :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oooh, I need to fill out this stupid iPod Legal Settlement claim. I guess any $50 towards a new PB helps. :) My iPod meets criteria, but it's good enough still that it doesn't bother me hugely at the moment, and I can always buy a cheaper third party battery later....

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I've noticed for the past few days that Apple's put up a lot of 12" and 15" PB refurbs as well as 12" iBook refurbs. Wonder where they're all coming from?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
sw1tcher said:
I've noticed for the past few days that Apple's put up a lot of 12" and 15" PB refurbs as well as 12" iBook refurbs. Wonder where they're all coming from?

they come from people who had problems with them and sent it back :p :rolleyes:

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
ok i was checkin out the refurb store and wtf the 20 gb ipod WITHOUGHT CLICKWHEEL is about $10 MORE than the one WITH click wheel

what is up with tthat

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
biohazard_6969 said:
ok i was checkin out the refurb store and wtf the 20 gb ipod WITHOUGHT CLICKWHEEL is about $10 MORE than the one WITH click wheel

what is up with tthat

Hmm...that does not make much sense at all.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
mkrishnan , do you think it's not a bad idea to get Applecare with refurb models? Will you get Applecare with the 12" PB?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Eevee said:
mkrishnan , do you think it's not a bad idea to get Applecare with refurb models? Will you get Applecare with the 12" PB?

Apple refurbs come w/a one year limited warranty and you can purchase Applecare if you want.

Lethal

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
biohazard_6969 said:

what is up with tthat

Look at what comes w/the iPod.

The 20gig w/clickwheel is $219
The 20gig w/o clickwheel is $199.
The 20gig w/o clickwheel+dock is $229.

Lethal

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
sw1tcher said:

I think Apple must of had a bad batch of Powerbooks.. cause a few months ago I bought a powerbook and had to return it 3 times cause 1 came with a dead superdrive, 2nd came with a dead hd, and the third one was all warped and the latch wouldn't close properly....
:mad:
Thats why i'm waiting for an ibook update cause i just got sick of returning my powerbooks.. :(

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There have been a fairly large number of positive statements from people who have bought refurbished kit from Apple here, and relatively few negatives. I've bought refurbs from others with good experience.

Whenever Apple has good sales numbers, especially from the Apple store, there're going to be more refurbs purely for volume reasons -- a huge source for refurbs from any vendor are satisfaction-guarantee products. Not to mention that Apple presumably had some built stock at the time of switchover, floating around their distribution chain and in stores. Of course, it's always possible that the computer you get could be bad, but to me, the chances are not substantially higher than for a new product.

And as for the computers having use hours on them, my iBook does too. So it's not like I'm getting rid of a brand new PC and getting an ancient one as a trade.

I sympathize with people who've had issues with their computers, but I also haven't seen any convincing numbers to suggest that Apple has a statistically significant new quality problem.

I dunno. I doubt I would buy Applecare -- as I didn't with my current iBook. But I should consider it. I've also been looking to some extent for private-party sales. But that's really not the point. I'm trying to figure out right now whether I really should get a rev. D or a C, etc....

Ahhh, well, I printed out and filled out the iPod settlement thing, FWIW. I can always use it for Quicktime Pro and some codecs or a cheap Airport Express or a wireless keyboard or something. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Personally, I buy refurb if I can (having something that's brand new isn't a big deal to me). Espeically since Apple's refurb's are, AFAIK, backed the same as their new items are.

Heck, I just picked up a refurbed 1gig Shuffle for $99 w/free shipping. :D

Lethal

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Originally, I wanted to upgrade when a 12" notebook was available with a processor at twice my clock speed.... which the Rev E powerbook ought to hit. Of course, I could just say screw it and get a new rev. D 12" with superdrive. :D

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
mkrishnan said:

So the contents of the refurb store have been changing a *lot* recently! And a newcomer today, or at least very recently, seems to be the PB 12" 1.33GHz Combo Drive with a 60GB HD (rev. C, I guess), for $1099US.

Soooooo tempting.

I was sitting on the fence for a few months myself. The iBook I was looking to upgrade from was an original Dual USB 500MHz G3 model, so it was getting a little more dire for me. Was weighing the current iBook G4 versus potential future iBook G4s versus the Rev 3 and Rev 4 12" Powerbooks.

Then about a month ago, my iBook succumbed to the dreaded reed switch failure: the machine's still working, but the screen doesn't fire up unless you get the angle just right. The day my iBook puked, Apple had the refurbed PB 12 1.33GHz for $1,099 back in after a multi-month absence. I jumped. And it's such a great little machine, I'm kind of kicking myself for waiting around so long. There are lots of little subtle things about it that are better than the iBooks, and they do add up.

I think my plan is to definitely upgrade before Mactels arrive, and then possibly again a year or two after they arrive, and things have been ironed out.

This was my thinking, too. If I wanted to make this purchase last another year or two, I'd have sprung for the 1.5GHz Rev D model, perhaps.

- Wait for an iBook update, because I really like the white and would rather have an iBook for cosmetic reasons. :rolleyes: The biggest problem with iBooks is that I have to always buy a BTO one, because of the way they are typically spec'd out. The refurbs at the Apple store rarely have BT, which is a must, and often have HDs that are too small.

I prefer the aluminum look myself. :p

The Rev C and Rev D 12" Powerbooks have Bluetooth standard. No need to BTO.

And yeah, the iBooks' hard drives are still too small. I am so glad I BTO'ed my iBook 4 years ago with a 20GB drive: it basically allowed me to keep using the machine for another year and a half where the stock 10GB would have been beyond the bursting point. When I take the iBook apart to fix it, I'm upgrading the hard drive while I'm in there.

Anyone have advice or want to commiserate??? :D

I think you'll be very pleased with the 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook. Give in to temptation already! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Silencio said:
I think you'll be very pleased with the 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook. Give in to temptation already! :D

Yeah....hmmmm... And I can always sell it again in a year. Sigh. At this rate it'd be better for me if Apple had a leasing program. :(

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
mkrishnan said:

Soooooo tempting.

The only problem with that model is you get a 4200RPM drive. It's a pretty good price though.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Silencio said:
And it's such a great little machine, I'm kind of kicking myself for waiting around so long. There are lots of little subtle things about it that are better than the iBooks, and they do add up.
I agree, the machine is lovely, but having never used an iBook, I'm curious-- could you list a few specifics?

Silencio said:
I think you'll be very pleased with the 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook. Give in to temptation already!
Funny, lately I've been re-evaluating whether or not I need the power of my PB (in sig). I'm getting really really really tempted to trade down for an iBook. My orignal idea is for my older sister to get this PB if she used her edu discount to get the iBook for me (before anyone harps, we're both qualified college students). Sorry if this is technically hi-jacking the thread.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tsk said:
The only problem with that model is you get a 4200RPM drive. It's a pretty good price though.

Really? So did the 5400 60GB start with the Rev D? :(

It's frustrating that the Rev. D refurbs are the same price as the student discount...making the student discount effectively cheaper, because of the Jam deal. :rolleyes:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:
There have been a fairly large number of positive statements from people who have bought refurbished kit from Apple here, and relatively few negatives. I've bought refurbs from others with good experience.

Whenever Apple has good sales numbers, especially from the Apple store, there're going to be more refurbs purely for volume reasons -- a huge source for refurbs from any vendor are satisfaction-guarantee products. Not to mention that Apple presumably had some built stock at the time of switchover, floating around their distribution chain and in stores.

Speaking of refurbs and built stock, AppleInsider's reporting that Apple's looking to "dump existing inventory of Mac minis and previous generation G5 systems" like they did previously with the iPods through Overstock.com.

From the article:

"Some of the Mac systems Apple is looking to discount include "finished goods" stock of Mac minis, first generation iMac G5s and Power Mac G5 desktops. Sources said a percentage of the G5-based systems are believed to be refurbrished items, while the stock of Mac minis are new retail models.

The mini, which remains due for a refresh, also saw ship times slip to 5 to 7 business days from Apple's online store on Tuesday. Apple has yet to update the mini following its inception in early January, but is expected to do so sometime this quarter as sales slow.

On the other hand, the company's current iMac offerings remain hot in their current form. Sources speculate that Apple may have slightly underestimated demand for the all-in-one desktops this quarter. Ingram Micro, one of two major US distributors for Apple in the US, had also run dry of some iMac models on Monday."

So... new Mac mini's (and iBooks) next Tuesday?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:

Yes.

It's frustrating that the Rev. D refurbs are the same price as the student discount...making the student discount effectively cheaper, because of the Jam deal. :rolleyes:

Yeah. Oddly though a refurb Rev. D 15" PB with combo is $100 cheaper than the student discount price -- $1699 vs. $1799

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sw1tcher said:
Yeah. Oddly though a refurb Rev. D 15" PB with combo is $100 cheaper than the student discount price -- $1699 vs. $1799

Oops, I was just going to fix that -- on the 12"ers, same pattern -- the Combo is $100 less than student and the SD is the same price.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
mkrishnan said:
Oooh, I need to fill out this stupid iPod Legal Settlement claim. I guess any $50 towards a new PB helps. :) My iPod meets criteria, but it's good enough still that it doesn't bother me hugely at the moment, and I can always buy a cheaper third party battery later....

The wha? More info please! :confused:

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
mkrishnan said:

Yeah, the current models got the 5400RPM standard. IMO this is a big gain. Probably equal to another couple hundred MHz.

And yeah, there is no real sense buying a refurbished Rev D if you get the student discount. I don't know if you're considering the iBook, but I'm hoping the next iBook rev comes with a 5400RPM drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.