Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Likelife

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
Am I blind? The cheapest PB in the refurb shop is this one (I doubt the link will work, but I'll try anyway).

It's $1299:

PowerBook 12-inch 1.5GHz Combo Drive - Apple Certified Refurbished
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates

Considering I almost bought a new 12" iBook today, this is awfully tempting.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Likelife said:
Am I blind? The cheapest PB in the refurb shop is this one (I doubt the link will work, but I'll try anyway).

It's $1299:

Considering I almost bought a new 12" iBook today, this is awfully tempting.

You should check first thing in the morning. They put out a bunch each morning and when those are gone, they disappear from the pages.

If you aren't eligible for a student discount, there are a lot of bargains there. This morning there were 1GHz iBooks and such. Just be careful with the iBooks to look out for the CDROM version (you most likely want a combo drive).

Likelife

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
tsk said:
You should check first thing in the morning. They put out a bunch each morning and when those are gone, they disappear from the pages.
Yep, I checked again first thing in the morning. The $1099 Powerbook in the OP was available again. That's even more tempting than the one I found last night.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Likelife said:
Am I blind?

Heh, the one I was talking about was there when I first posted this thread, but I guess it's gone now. :( I'm sure it'll be back. Or better yet, the new rev will come out and the price on refurbished rev. D's will drop. :D

Likelife

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
And, weird, it's back off the Refurb page, but since I saved it in a cart this morning, I can still see/buy it. It ships in 5-7 business days, so I think I'll wait to see what next Tuesday brings before deciding on it.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
devilot76 said:
I agree, the machine is lovely, but having never used an iBook, I'm curious-- could you list a few specifics?

The 12" Powerbook is slightly smaller than the 12" iBook across all three dimensions and a bit lighter. Since I'm on the go a lot, I do notice the difference.

I find the keyboard on the 12" Powerbook has a much nicer feel than the iBook's. It's good to have DVI out and screen spanning without having to resort to the Open Firmware hack, and it's very nice to have a GPU that fully supports Core Image. Bluetooth is standard on the Powerbook; you need to BTO it for the iBook. I get to leave my USB Bluetooth dongle at home now.

As for the 4200 RPM hard drive: I haven't hit up against any speed limitations yet in the month or so I've owned my 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook. However, I haven't done anything really CPU intensive yet (e.g. haven't gotten the band together and done any recording/editing lately). That, and I'm still accustomed to my poky old 500MHz iBook so everything feels pretty darned fast. :D And if I want to upgrade the hard drive at a later date, at least it's easier to do than on the iBooks.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Silencio said:
The 12" Powerbook is slightly smaller than the 12" iBook across all three dimensions and a bit lighter. Since I'm on the go a lot, I do notice the difference.

I find the keyboard on the 12" Powerbook has a much nicer feel than the iBook's. It's good to have DVI out and screen spanning without having to resort to the Open Firmware hack, and it's very nice to have a GPU that fully supports Core Image. Bluetooth is standard on the Powerbook; you need to BTO it for the iBook. I get to leave my USB Bluetooth dongle at home now.
Thanks, Silencio, it's nice for me to hear from someone who has used both the 12" PB and the iBook. Man, I'm feeling awfully torn. The weight issue matters a lot to me (lighter=better) and I have yet to try out the weight of the iBook and the keyboard, but I don't use BT or a separate monitor (because of my iMac). My sister on the other hand, might really benefit from my PB because at her place she could hook up an external lcd and as the PB would become her main computer, it seems fair that she gets a machine that's more powerful. Hee, not to mention, the iBook would match my iMac much more. Decisions, decisions. I suppose the decision making could be made easier if/once I saw the specs for the revised iBook. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
devilot76 said:
Hee, not to mention, the iBook would match my iMac much more. Decisions, decisions. I suppose the decision making could be made easier if/once I saw the specs for the revised iBook. ;)

Hehe, I have always liked how well the iBook coordinates with the other accessories, too... the iPod, the mouse and power supply, etc. I always personally liked the look better, too. And things like colored iSkins are more distinctive on the iBook because it's white. :)

The weight difference is only 0.1 lbs -- it's not that huge. But combined with the slight size difference, I could see it being noticeable, I guess.

For me, the BT is a must, but that just means BTO. It's not exactly a reason to sit down on the ground and cry. My iBook has BT now. Any iBook I got in the future would also have it. It just means that refurbs are out. OTOH, the enhanced video card I could see as something really nice....

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
another advantage to buying refurb: you can get a full refund within 30 days. Apple charges a restocking fee on brand new machines but not on the refurbs

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
wkw said:
another advantage to buying refurb: you can get a full refund within 30 days. Apple charges a restocking fee on brand new machines but not on the refurbs
Could you post a link? And you can't get a further edu discount on refurbs, right?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
devilot76 said:
Could you post a link? And you can't get a further edu discount on refurbs, right?

Couldn't find anything about the no restock fee on refurbs, but to answer your other question... Yeah, no education discount on refurbs.

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
sw1tcher said:
Couldn't find anything about the no restock fee on refurbs, but to answer your other question... Yeah, no education discount on refurbs.

I have had experience with both types of refunds, there is no restock fees on refurbs. At least there wasn't last year.

bill

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
wkw said:
I have had experience with both types of refunds, there is no restock fees on refurbs. At least there wasn't last year.

bill

So technically, I could buy a refurb 15" PB with SD, use it for 25 days or so, return it to Apple with no restock fee, buy another refurb, use it for 25 days or so, return it to Apple....

Cool. :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The flaw with that scheme is that you'd still be out by $1300 or whatever :rolleyes: (even if it is just on "loan")

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Nermal said:
The flaw with that scheme is that you'd still be out by $1300 or whatever :rolleyes: (even if it is just on "loan")

But I'd have a relatively new and current PB all the time. Well, at least until Apple runs out of refurbs.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
sw1tcher said:
But I'd have a relatively new and current PB all the time. Well, at least until Apple runs out of refurbs.
Most retail stores have a policy that says they can refuse any return they want. I think that your "scheme" might eventually fall under that policy. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
devilot76 said:
Most retail stores have a policy that says they can refuse any return they want. I think that your "scheme" might eventually fall under that policy. ;)

Really? I'd think it'd be more like flagging your account and refusing to sell you another one.... But a satisfaction based refund policy is a refund policy, not a refund-if-we-feel-like-it policy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.