Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Alright, I usually write long stuff so I'll try to be straight and to the point.

I don't use social networks. At all. This is the reason I didn't install iOS 5 on my iPhone. No features really stood out to me, aside from social network integration, which I wanted to stay far away from.

So Mountain Lion integrates with a few social networks, including my least favorite, Facebook.

My question, what are the aspects of this?

Is it intertwined into the actual OS? I've seen it in individual applications like Safari. I sure hope it isn't part of the actual OS though.

Does it take up any resources (CPU/RAM) that you can tell are part of SN integration?

Can it be disabled? Even though it's not a huge bother if there's a Twitter/Facebook option inside a menu somewhere, if buttons with Twitter or Facebook logos start popping up, I'll be mad. Is there any way to disable SN integration system-wide and make all traces go away? No menus or options relating to SN integration, nothing to share, etc?

And how bad is it? Is it tucked away in menus for the most part? Is it a toolbar button in Safari? (I know I can drag this out, I'm hoping it's no more than a toolbar button)

I'm mainly hoping it doesn't take extra resources though, and that it can be disabled so I don't see annoying things about FB/Twitter all over my computer like they already plague the web.

Any information is helpful. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Nobody knows. The latest dev preview of Mountain Lion doesn't have FB integration yet. Only twitter. It's not bad really either. I'll take some random screenshots...

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Here ya go

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.51.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.51.52 PM.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.51.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.51.57 PM.png
    903 KB · Views: 213
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.52.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.52.12 PM.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.52.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.52.33 PM.png
    560.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.52.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 9.52.52 PM.png
    890 KB · Views: 202

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Nobody knows. The latest dev preview of Mountain Lion doesn't have FB integration yet. Only twitter. It's not bad really either. I'll take some random screenshots...

You're right, it's not that bad. I'd probably remove that button from Safari since I need nothing in it's menu, and removing it would help me feel I'm not using social network integration in my main browser (I like Safari). I have two questions now since you're actually running on Mountain Lion.

Thanks a lot for the screenshots by the way!

For one, does that Twitter button stay in Notification Center if I choose not to link my account or whatever?

Two, what settings are related to social network accounts? Does the OS bug you to add/link them, or is it non intrusive and not there unless you specifically link your accounts?

Thanks!

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Even though I am not on 10.8 i presume apple wont bug you to use the service. it sounds only like snyc and quick updates and stupid like things like notifications if you have the accounts hooked up.

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Even though I am not on 10.8 i presume apple wont bug you to use the service. it sounds only like snyc and quick updates and stupid like things like notifications if you have the accounts hooked up.

It's just like iOS. If you don't sign in, you won't see it anywhere.

Don't know what you're talking about with sync or quick updates, unless you mean updates of the OS?

Anyways, thanks for the info. I haven't actually upgraded to iOS 5 for the reason of avoiding social network stuff, but it's good to know that if I choose not to use social networks in my OS, then it won't bug me to.

Now I feel safe about upgrading to Mountain Lion when it comes out. I'll only do so if it offers improvements in the way of performance though.

Thanks guys! Changing this to resolved!

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Sorry I cant answer to not using it as I use twitter and such regularly. Although, dont be afraid to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Just cause something's there doesn't mean you have to use it! :cool:

Sadly as far as performance I cant help on that either. Soon as i got the quad core i5 home I put ML on it, same with the macbook! I dont even remember Lion really

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Also I know with IOS 5 It does not even bug you about twitter or other social networks its just choice of the user.

Last edited:

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Sorry I cant answer to not using it as I use twitter and such regularly. Although, dont be afraid to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Just cause something's there doesn't mean you have to use it! :cool:

Sadly as far as performance I cant help on that either. Soon as i got the quad core i5 home I put ML on it, same with the macbook! I dont even remember Lion really

Well like I said, I'd only upgrade to Mountain Lion if it offered performance boosts. If it doesn't, the chances that I'll upgrade are slim to none.

Performance is more important to me than anything for the most part, but I want to know that I won't have to be further surrounded by things I hate, i.e. social networks. They already plague the Internet, and the fact they're being integrated into OSes now is really absurd.

For people who don't like them, it's good that they won't be there. For people who do like them, is it really all that bad to use a separate client? I mean having it integrated into he OS doesn't offer benefits to people who like them really, only offers downfalls, possibly in performance or annoyance for people who don't like social networks.

The latest isn't always the greatest, especially where software is going these days.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Dude, IF you do not even set up the social networks, it wont bother you, from what I understand with 10.8 its worth to upgrade because apple is going to leave 10.6 behind and when 10.9 comes out 10.7 is dead.

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Well, they dont offer made to order OS's and despising one feature isn't a reason not to use it, so as with anything... You gotta take the good with that bad!

BTW: I have Facebook integration now and it's exactly the same as Twitter integration

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 4.20.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 4.20.46 PM.png
    848.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 4.20.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 4.20.52 PM.png
    814.1 KB · Views: 178

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Sorry to bump this, but my query is fairly minor so I didn't think it needed a new topic. I'm curious to know how well (if at all) Mountain Lion's social networking integration handles multiple accounts.

For example, I use two twitter accounts; one personal and one more professional, is it easy to switch between the two on Mountain Lion or is it built with the assumption that you do everything through single accounts?

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
when you have two accounts, there is a drop down menu list to chose the account you wanna post from

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-19 at 3.40.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-19 at 3.40.40 PM.png
    813.2 KB · Views: 145

Asmod4n

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
Just don't enable them, you won't see those Buttons anywhere then. All they do though is let you share Information to the Service, they can't access anything on your Account or Mac.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
I don't use social networks. At all. This is the reason I didn't install iOS 5 on my iPhone. No features really stood out to me, aside from social network integration, which I wanted to stay far away from.

You skip an entire OS because it has a single feature integrated that you don't want to use anyway?

Sorry, but how stupid is that???

If you don't use Facebook and Twitter, then don't sign in to Facebook and Twitter in OS X and iOS and you won't see these integration features ANYWHERE. It's that simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.