Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thechris.prince

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Nashvegas
I just wanted to post on here my initial impressions for those that might be interested. I got a new 13" 256SSD 8GB Air and I'm in love. I upgraded from an late '06 Macbook and the difference is obviously huge. I do have the Samsung SSD and am getting 400 write speeds and 450 read speeds. Incredible. It opens a 22 MB photo launching photoshop cs4 in under 5 seconds. I don't have any games to test out, but overall the air just flies. I've timed a cold boot to useable in 11 seconds. I haven't heard the fans once, though I haven't really put it through its paces yet. But amazing that I haven't even heard it at all. And for me, heat....what heat.

Now I don't want to sound just blind fanboy. I love this machine and haven't found a single fault yet. But I did have a 6 year update just fall in my lap :) Oh and if you can, AMEX is doing 5X points. Def the way to go.

If you have any questions I'd be more than willing to answer them. Just let me know and I'll try to answer what I can.

Chris.

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
i5 or i7?? I got my sister the same setup as you with the i7 thinking faster = better. Now I'm reading a lot more about overheating with the i7 than i5 and second guessing myself. I would like to hear some reports of cool running, quiet fan i7s.

Did you pickup any accessories?

thechris.prince

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Nashvegas
I picked up the i5. I figured if I was spending $100 on either the i7 or more ram, 8GB made a lot more sense in the long run. I'm incredibly happy with the upgrade. My macbook wouldn't power my 1080 22" monitor. It just would shut down. Should have the thunderbolt to hdmi adapter from monoprice here tomorrow. Other than that, I need to find a new bag. Any recommendations?

and yes, I do think it is time to update the sig :)

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
I just wanted to post on here my initial impressions for those that might be interested. I got a new 13" 256SSD 8GB Air and I'm in love. I upgraded from an late '06 Macbook and the difference is obviously huge. I do have the Samsung SSD and am getting 400 write speeds and 450 read speeds. Incredible. It opens a 22 MB photo launching photoshop cs4 in under 5 seconds. I don't have any games to test out, but overall the air just flies. I've timed a cold boot to useable in 11 seconds. I haven't heard the fans once, though I haven't really put it through its paces yet. But amazing that I haven't even heard it at all. And for me, heat....what heat.

Now I don't want to sound just blind fanboy. I love this machine and haven't found a single fault yet. But I did have a 6 year update just fall in my lap :) Oh and if you can, AMEX is doing 5X points. Def the way to go.

If you have any questions I'd be more than willing to answer them. Just let me know and I'll try to answer what I can.

Chris.

This is looking like my next laptop, glad to hear its awesome!

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Wow, you upgraded from an '06! I upgraded from a '10 and find the difference substantial. It must be night and day for you.

Congrats and enjoy!

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Glad to hear!!! Still debating on the same specs you have or a this refurb

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/cart

I know the Pro is a lot more computer and but the air is just so sexy and I will be upgrading from a late 2007 imac, my geekbench was 2750 so ill be impressed with either.

Congratulations!!

Last edited:

juiceman311

macrumors member
May 10, 2007
So glad to find your review. I too have a late 2006 MacBook and am also looking at that exact configuration MacBook Air. Sounds perfect. If only Amazon had the 13" i5 8GB configuration I would jump all over it now! I have $1500 in Amazon giftcards that I am trying to figure out how I can convert over to this machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.