Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

which one?

• Total voters

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
what SSD did yours come with.

Hardware->Serial-ATA

APPLE SSD SM###E = Samsung

APPLE SSD TS###? = Toshib

snapper64

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
It might be useful if people posted the spec as well, specifically whether or not it was BTO.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Toshiba here. Base 2012 MBA. Bought on store.
Question: i've seen Samsung ones do more speed in Blackmagic Speedtest, but I've learned Toshiba drives just don't like Incompressible data and that's what Blackmagic uses. Does that mean that even though Toshiba drives perform worse in BlackMagic they will perform as good in real data transfer?

Thanks.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Toshiba here. Base 2012 MBA. Bought on store.
Question: i've seen Samsung ones do more speed in Blackmagic Speedtest, but I've learned Toshiba drives just don't like Incompressible data and that's what Blackmagic uses. Does that mean that even though Toshiba drives perform worse in BlackMagic they will perform as good in real data transfer?

Thanks.
Toshiba uses a Sandforce controller, one of the most popular consumer grade SSD controllers. Sandforce does poorly overall with non compressible data, so output goes to 300MB/s from 500MB/s.

Bottom line: It's still fast as <expletive>

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Toshiba uses a Sandforce controller, one of the most popular consumer grade SSD controllers. Sandforce does poorly overall with non compressible data, so output goes to 300MB/s from 500MB/s.

Bottom line: It's still fast as <expletive>

OK. What is non compressible data then? What about things one can usually write? Video files, music, programs data...

Also why does it read as fast and it just struggles with writing?

Thanks man.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
11" 2.0 8GB 245GB

Gotta love the 6GB SATA!

It's great! I just wish XCode would download faster... I need XCode to get the rest of my development environment to work as expected.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Basically, any file that is already in a compressed format. Video and music files, JPEG photos, etc.

Thanks!
It'd be nice to know why don't they use Samsungs for the 128GB versions too.

What kind of speeds are you getting with the drive?

This is what I get with the Toshiba 128GB.
I wonder if one can really notice any difference in ordinary usage. Sure you'd notice copying a 25GB video file from one part of the disk to the other, but will you notice any difference in Video Editing, programming...

67315038.png

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Samsung 256GB in 11" Air (2.0GHz, 8GB Ram).

This is my SpeedTest

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    365.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
OK. What is non compressible data then? What about things one can usually write? Video files, music, programs data...

Also why does it read as fast and it just struggles with writing?

Thanks man.

... a few days later...

Non compressible data is exactly as it sounds- data that can't be compressed. Usually large media files, video game files, etc.

Writing is usually slower, because flash drive controller employs a special writing technique. The drive usually just writes to the next available free space on the drive and doesn't write to the space previously occupied, like normal drives do. It sounds like this shouldn't be a problem, but the drive also needs to mark the data that's going to be over ridden to be actually deleted when the drive garbage collects.

So the data isn't actually deleted, until the drive is full. When the drive is full, the garbage collect process occurs and purges the data marked for deletion.

If the controller did not do this, and just overrode the data like hard drives do, the controller would be significantly limited in its ability to put out IOPS (basically a usability issue) and it would wear physical cells on that space so cells would wear prematurely.

In my experience... well I have basically 3 generations of SSDs. I noticed the biggest boost from the Agility to the Vertex 2, which is like Going from the Toshiba to Samsung for the last gen Macbook Air. The speed difference between a Vertex 2 and Agility 3 was much less noticeable, which is like going from a Toshiba to Samsung in the current gen Macbooks. It's probably not a good idea to compare different SSD brands, especially because Samsung uses their own controller but it should give you a rough idea of the performance difference.

Last edited:

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
11.6"/8 GB/128 GB -> Toshiba SSD

but that is ok, since I am happy because I got the LG display...

...oh wait.

I think I better stop reading Macrumors now, since I just found out two bad things in a row. I was happy when I was more ignorant.

JBST

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure that all 128 GB drives are Toshiba and all 256 GB and higher are Samsung.

So.. do we have a large enough sample to conclude that any SSD >256GB is likely to be Samsung.

11.6"/8 GB/128 GB -> Toshiba SSD

but that is ok, since I am happy because I got the LG display...

...oh wait.

I think I better stop reading Macrumors now, since I just found out two bad things in a row. I was happy when I was more ignorant.

Then... what about the screen display (LG/Samsung etc). Any indication that it may correlate with the rest of the MBA configuration? like screen or ssd size/cpu/ram etc? any ideas about pattern at all? :confused: or is it just random? :D This is getting OT isn't it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.