PDA

View Full Version : iPod Settlement: Anyone get their $50 rebate yet?

G5Unit
Jul 21, 2005, 09:40 PM
I sent mine in about a month ago. How long does it take to recieve the coupon? Should I have recieved some kind of conformation?

P.S.: Can the coupon be combined with an edu discount to make tiger only 19.95?

G5Unit
Jul 22, 2005, 06:59 PM
Please, does anyone know?

Bibulous
Jul 22, 2005, 07:06 PM
The coupon is for use with the online store only

ravenvii
Jul 22, 2005, 07:40 PM
Whoa, I almost forgot about this, thanks for reminding me!

As for receiving the coupon, from what I hear you all will be getting them sometime later in the year - November-ish. Just in time for Holiday shopping :D

devilot
Jul 22, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that Apple won't send out ANY rebates/coupons until the court settlement thingie is decided and it becomes law whether or not Apple has to comply.....

As this other thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1581000#post1581000) mentions, that date hasn't arrived yet.

G5Unit
Jul 23, 2005, 09:48 AM
Dang it. I need it now. I am aloud to buy tiger when school starts in a month.

mkrishnan
Jul 23, 2005, 09:58 AM
For those not into sifting through the information, the date at which the final settlement is approved (that's not the same thing as "going into law" -- AFAIK, the court basically signs off that the actual settlement package and the claims-gathering process meet the requirements of the settlement itself, which has already been made) is 25 August 05. So no checks until at least September.

I dunno if I will wait and use this to lower the cost of something, or just buy something random with it after the fact.

mrgreen4242
Jul 23, 2005, 10:19 AM
I'm hoping to get mine by Sept, but won't be surprised if it's November... I THOUGHT it said you could use it for any Apple product, except gift cards and iTunes songs, in any Apple store or the Apple online store. I don't recall any exclusions for other discount programs, like the edu prices, and I hop you can, as I want to get iWork for free!

Maybe I will hang on to the coupon for iWork '06, though... maybe get a spreadsheet in the deal.

G5Unit
Jul 23, 2005, 03:33 PM
Oh, and this is a bit off topic but, when I got my powermac it came with these ilife 04 coupons and panther coupons. What are they good for. They are green.

Bibulous
Jul 23, 2005, 06:11 PM
Oh, and this is a bit off topic but, when I got my powermac it came with these ilife 04 coupons and panther coupons. What are they good for. They are green.

I think the gold ones get you a free tour of Apple HQ in California. :p

Could be just the proof of purchase coupons, I always save them but have never used them. At least there getting smaller.

G5Unit
Jul 23, 2005, 07:17 PM
Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but are there really gold ones?

devilot
Jul 23, 2005, 07:28 PM
Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but are there really gold ones?
I think Bibulous is alluding to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. ;) With Apple HQ as the "Factory."

G5Unit
Jul 23, 2005, 07:43 PM
Holy. I am sooooooooooooooooooo gulible. Well anyways, i have to find those footprints on the ceiling and clean them.

devilot
Jul 23, 2005, 07:46 PM
Holy. I am sooooooooooooooooooo gulible. Well anyways, i have to find those footprints on the ceiling and clean them.
Aww it's okay. hee. I'm sure we all have our moments. :cool:

G5Unit
Jul 23, 2005, 08:04 PM
Aww it's okay. hee. I'm sure we all have our moments. :cool:
Replace moments with life.

chaos86
Aug 10, 2005, 07:27 AM
any updates?

devilot
Aug 10, 2005, 07:36 AM
any updates? Er, if you read up a bit on the thread, mkrishnan nicely points out that the final ruling is to be made on August 25, 2005... a date which has yet to arrive. So I doubt any of us have heard anything relevant yet. :(
For those not into sifting through the information, the date at which the final settlement is approved (that's not the same thing as "going into law" -- AFAIK, the court basically signs off that the actual settlement package and the claims-gathering process meet the requirements of the settlement itself, which has already been made) is 25 August 05. So no checks until at least September.

weg
Aug 10, 2005, 09:50 AM

I dunno if I will wait and use this to lower the cost of something, or just buy something random with it after the fact.

Isn't that amazing.. Apple sells iPods with crappy batteries and doesn't offer their costumers compensation before they are forced by law to do so? Of course, other manufacturers do the same, but their products don't cost a premium..

Lancetx
Aug 10, 2005, 11:39 AM
Isn't that amazing.. Apple sells iPods with crappy batteries and doesn't offer their costumers compensation before they are forced by law to do so? Of course, other manufacturers do the same, but their products don't cost a premium..

<sarcasm on> And of course, no other company sells anything expensive with "crappy batteries" in it that die after a few hundred charge cycles right? :rolleyes: So imagine my surprise when my $300+ cell phone's battery died after only 18 months and I had to buy a new one. ;) So apparently it's not only Apple that sells premium products with "crappy batteries" eh? <sarcasm off>

It's the nature of the beast when it comes to rechargeable batteries and it doesn't matter if they're in an iPod, Dell DJ, cell phone or Palm handheld, they do have a finite life span of a few hundred charge cycles, and they will die. And usually sooner rather than later in many cases...

devilot
Aug 10, 2005, 11:42 AM
It's the nature of the beast when it comes to rechargeable batteries and it doesn't matter if they're in an iPod, Dell DJ, cell phone or Palm handheld, they do have a finite life span of a few hundred charge cycles, and they will die. And usually sooner rather than later in many cases... But w/ cell phones (I'm not familiar w/ PDAs) at least you can buy/ "install" your own 3rd party battery w/out issues. Like, a kindergartener could swap out a cell phone's battery, whereas, if I'm not mistaken, Apple claimed that the iPod's battery could not be user-serviceable w/out voiding the warranty.

jammastajc
Sep 13, 2005, 05:44 PM
Now that the date for the settlement decision has passed, has anyone received their settlement yet?

F4Rid
Sep 15, 2005, 02:41 AM
Now that the date for the settlement decision has passed, has anyone received their settlement yet?

i was wondering the samething. i have been searching around online and no one is saying anything it seems. its 2 weeks past the date and no update. hopefully we will hear something soon.

TheMonarch
Sep 15, 2005, 02:57 AM
Doesn't It take "6 to 8 weeks"?

2 weeks isn't that long...

mrgreen4242
Sep 15, 2005, 10:27 AM
Ya, I'm hoping they start mailing them out soon... I'd like to use mine towards a nano! Seems like this would be a good time for Apple to send those out; nothing from Apple costs less than $50 anyways, and with the nano now it seems like it'd be a good time to try to get people into the stores buying stuff!

QCassidy352
Sep 15, 2005, 11:24 AM
still waiting on mine. Wouldn't mind my student union rebate checks, either.

FoxyKaye
Sep 15, 2005, 12:55 PM
Nope - I actually applied for the $25 cash option (which would just about cover the DIY cost of replacing the battery in my 2G that I shelled out earlier this year).

IIRC, Apple had to finalize the settlement, agree to the rebates, and then they would take a few weeks to process. I'm not sure where any of these things are at, so I'm just assuming at some random day in the (possibly distant) future I'll get the check in the mail.

mac-er
Sep 15, 2005, 03:20 PM
If you take part in a lawsuit against Apple, you should sell all your Apple stuff. (and if you make a claim in a class action, you are participating in a lawsuit).

We all have to pay for this crap through higher prices.

jholzner
Sep 15, 2005, 03:28 PM
If you take part in a lawsuit against Apple, you should sell all your Apple stuff. (and if you make a claim in a class action, you are participating in a lawsuit).

What are you talking about? Maybe Appel should have included a better battery. I know some worked fine but some died very quickly. I don't own an iPod but my sister has a Gen1 and she just bought a new powerbook, airport express, iPod mini, Creature speakers, keyboard and mouse all through the online Apple store. I doubt that Apple would agree that she NOT buy their products just becuase she gets a 50 rebate coupon.

applekid
Sep 15, 2005, 03:30 PM

Yeah, because you know Apple is getting real screwed by paying up to 1.3 million iPod customers $25 or forcing customers to come back with a $50 coupon on their next Apple purchase (I myself am getting a Mac Mini once that settlement arrives)... :rolleyes: Apple is getting a slap on the wrist if any punishment at all. After lawyer fees and the whole case is settled, Apple is only paying up to $15 million according to Apple Insider's report. Not exactly reason to raise prices when Apple's profits easily trounce those costs.

And you shouldn't be expecting your money yet. Some people still need to send their forms in by September 30th (points to self!).

mrgreen4242
Sep 15, 2005, 03:35 PM

:rolleyes: This is the kind of rabid-fanboyism that gives Apple users a bad name. You should sell all your Apple products and never post about them on the internet or talk to anyone about them again. :eek: They released a product that had 1) occasionally a faulty battery, 2) a battery that had a lifetime significantly less than the rest of the product but failed to offer anyway to replace or exchange the battery, wether covered under warranty or for a charge, and 3) failed to notify consumers that the lifespan of their (up to) $500 piece of electronics was linked directly to the life of the $20 battery.

Yes, they offer a repair service now, but that is a fairly recent development. Plus, there were several models of the iPod that made it INTENTIONALLY difficult to replace the battery yourself (specifically they covered everything in an adhesive glue so you couldn't pull the battery out).

mrgreen4242
Sep 15, 2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah, because you know Apple is getting real screwed by paying up to 1.3 million iPod customers $25 or forcing customers to come back with a $50 coupon on their next Apple purchase (I myself am getting a Mac Mini once that settlement arrives)... :rolleyes: Apple is getting a slap on the wrist if any punishment at all. After lawyer fees and the whole case is settled, Apple is only paying up to $15 million according to Apple Insider's report. Not exactly reason to raise prices when Apple's profits easily trounce those costs.

And you shouldn't be expecting your money yet. Some people still need to send their forms in by September 30th (points to self!).

Thought the deadline was August 30th or within the warranty of your iPod, whichever was later? I can't remember what the site was for claims so I can't check on it myself.

bankshot
Sep 15, 2005, 03:59 PM
Thought the deadline was August 30th or within the warranty of your iPod, whichever was later? I can't remember what the site was for claims so I can't check on it myself.

2 years after the original purchase date or Sept 30, whichever is later.

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/

:D

aricher
Sep 15, 2005, 04:00 PM

For 3rd gen iPods it's two years after original purchase or Sept. 30th, 2005 - whiever is later

For all other claims the deadline for submitting a claim is Sept. 30th, 2005.

If you want the forms do a Google (http://www.google.com) search.

roadapple
Oct 14, 2005, 09:57 PM
Bump

Anyone with an update?

That new 30GB ipod looks nice @ $249 :D

chaos86
Oct 15, 2005, 09:48 AM
Actually, according to the website, you should get it "after the expiration of the appeals period". http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/

I was thinking the same thing except like this. $269 - $50 = $219. Being a student rocks.

spaceballl
Oct 15, 2005, 04:23 PM
ugh still waiting on mine...

Tommyg117
Oct 15, 2005, 05:06 PM
Still waiting on mine too, I could definetly use it to put it towards some of the stuff coming out soon.

JPT4648
Oct 30, 2005, 11:14 PM
I mailed in my claim on June 7th and haven't seen my settlement check yet.

chaos86
Oct 31, 2005, 11:10 AM
I mailed in my claim on June 7th and haven't seen my settlement check yet.

read the thread before posting. read my post about 3 up.

spaceballl
Oct 31, 2005, 12:50 PM
I want my $!

mrgreen4242
Nov 10, 2005, 12:04 PM
I think this is from the lawyers who are the lead counsel on the case, Girard Gibbs? Anyways,

14. When Will I Receive My Benefits Under The Settlement?

Under the terms of the Superior Court’s order granting final approval of settlement, Apple is not legally required to begin the process of fulfilling Class members’ claims until the judgment and order in the case is final, which occurs only after the time for appeal expires and no appeal is filed or, if an appeal is filed, after that appeal is resolved by the California Court of Appeal. On October 24, 2005, just prior to the time for appeal was to expire, two individuals filed an appeal from the Superior Court’s order approving the settlement. As Class Counsel, we are in the process of responding to that appeal, which we believe to be without merit. However, until that appeal is withdrawn, dismissed, or resolved by the Court of Appeal, Apple cannot be legally required to begin the process of fulfilling claims, or pay Class Counsel’s attorneys’ fees and expenses. We are working as diligently as possible to have this appeal dismissed and/or resolved by the California Court of Appeal. We will update this site with further information as it becomes available.

It's posted at http://girardgibbs.com/ipodsettlementfaqs.asp ... I wonder who the appeal was from and what it claims? Sucks that this is being drawn out so long. I was hoping to get the check before the end of the year for a little holiday gift to myself, but I guess I will have to make it a birthday present (February, for me)!

BTW, is anyone out there interested in selling their credits for cash? Say 75% of face value ($37.50)?