Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We knew it was coming, but WTF ninty!!! Where the heck is the second control stick ?

I'll be getting now regardless, but still :(

600x-1

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
We knew it was coming, but WTF ninty!!! Where the heck is the second control stick ?

I'll be getting now regardless, but still :(

No power adapter included, $199.99 is WAY to close to the Vita price point. For what you get the Vita is a better buy, better screen, better tech, etc. They really should have rethought that price point.

Youngchild

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Red Sox Nation
No power adapter included

No power adapter is Europe and Japan. North America will include the adapter (source), no word on the cradle though.

Not including the second analog stick was on purpose, Nintendo can't fragment the user base. I'm sure a revision of the CPP will come out for the XL.

I was hoping for a redesign of the 3DS (like the DS Lite). Fix the loose hinge and screen scratching issues. Oh well.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll wager anyone a $buck the power adapter will be included in Europe when it's released.

I'll be trading up so it won't cost me full whack anyway, so don't really care too much about that.

Just hope the bigger 3D screen has more improved viewing angles.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'll be skipping this...a bigger 3DS is not what I want. How in the hell can they justify not including the power adapter for EU/Japan region. Did they mention anything about the screen res and if older games will be scaled to the screen? If its the same res as the original 3DS then hell no.

Not sure if Nintendo is trolling me...

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Fugly colours for North America (and Europe to be fair). Why does Nintendo not want us to have all white ones? Grrr....

I'll probably be in. The OG 3DS is an ugly, hand-cramp inducing piece of hardware. The extra hour of battery life is nice, as is the fixed bottom buttons and the better stylus slot (side rather than top). And besides, I've fallen deeply in favour with my DSi XL. Once you go big...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
IF the 3D viewing angle has improved I'd probably get one. Otherwise I'll stick with my regular 3DS.
Maybe I have magical hands but even games like Kid Icarus are totally playable for hours. Even if the battery is not.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I planned on getting a 3DS later this year, so I'll most likely get the XL. I'm disappointed they didn't add a second analog stick ... I understand why, but still.

And selling it in any region without a power adapter is absolutely ridiculous.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
It'll get price cut or bundled with a game + a new color for the holidays. It's the only reason why I think they skipped the silver color in North American markets. That, and I think Nintendo's pebble pushing marketing scientists figure blue is for boys and red is for girls.

jmann

macrumors 604
I'll be trading in my aqua blue 3DS for this. I do wish the GameStop allowed us to do a system transfer before selling on the device. I would rather lose out on extra trade-in credit in order to get all of my system data transferred over to the new device. C'est la vie.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Sure but how big will it be? I'll bet it'll be as big as the market for vinyl is now...this type of mobile gaming is over now...

If tablets and smartphones were gonna kill mobile gaming, they would've done it already. Instead, they decided to become a budget market.

Remember those $5 games in cardboard sleeves you used to see in the PC games section at Fry's? They're now on the iOS top 10 list

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sure but how big will it be? I'll bet it'll be as big as the market for vinyl is now...this type of mobile gaming is over now...

4 years later and we're still waiting for the death of handheld gaming.
They've also been saying PC gaming is dead for the past 15 years.

I expect more from Carl Sagan.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Pros: Bigger, longer battery life and prettier.
Cons: Same resolution, way to rounded corners and still no second stick.

I would have bought a XL if I were to buy a 3DS, hands down, but I already have the original and I don't need to upgrade if all I get more or less is bigger screens. So I'm out on this.

Regarding the size of them, I have fairly large hands and I only have problems with the stick. I want it to be an inch or so further up on the console for me to be able to comfortably place my thumb on it. It's the same (slightly worse, even) on PSP - I get pain in my left thumb from the awkward position.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
The current 3DS screen was never an issue for me (apart from the 3d viewing angle). I never found myself wanting a larger screen. Also the fact that the XL looks plastic and cheap (though I accept I am making this judgement from pictures). I cannot see myself buying it.
I sold my 3DS last autumn and will hold off buying another until they put a second analogue slider on.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well mine is all paid for with trade-ins.

As suspected Gamestop are offering another trade-up scheme so for €99 you can trade in your 3DS + any 3DS game for the 3DSXL.

So have traded in my Aqua 3DS + Driver 3D (as its crap and was given to me free), and alongside that traded in a few ps3 titles I'm not playing which all accrued an extra 25% trade in credit because it is trading towards new hardware, and so now I think my 3DSXL will cost me less than €1 when I pick it up. (due to having to pay for a friggin power pack again)......

Cant trade your old one in without one, can't buy a new one without one! Curse ye nintendo!

Will prob pickup New Super Mario Bros 2 at same time.

Pre-ordered the silver/black model. :) :) Roll on 28th July.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yeah I would really prefer the white. Why the heck Nintendo can't just release the same model throughout all territories.

Same as it is with Sony; it's not one company but three! It's a bloody Hydra battle just to get anything done.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I bought one over the weekend. Gaming feels way better on this, I almost feel like a fool for buying the original.

- Bigger screen makes a huge difference
- Better form factor and easier to hold
- Stylus is more accessible
- There's no 3D light that goes on when you flip the slider but who cares

Gonna give the original to either my gf or my cousin's kid, I don't think I'm gonna touch it ever again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.