Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Imagine the size when they release the circle pad pro for this.

Also it doesn't include the power adapter in Europe :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Imagine the size when they release the circle pad pro for this.

Also it doesn't include the power adapter in Europe :(

Most of the stores here were just bungling in a free adapter. A very stupid decision by Nintendo really.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Is there a charging dock for the XL? I swear by the one for the regular 3DS.

Youngchild

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Red Sox Nation
Is there a charging dock for the XL? I swear by the one for the regular 3DS.

There is a charging dock available for purchase separately through Nintendo. The price in the US is $19.00 not including S/H. I ordered one last week and it should be delivered soon. I enjoyed the charging dock on the 3DS - very convenient for charging.

I have to say I'm quite surprised how much I'm enjoying the 3DS XL over the regular 3DS. I decided to upgrade after playing around with a few coworkers XL's shortly after the release.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
No power adapter included, $199.99 is WAY to close to the Vita price point. For what you get the Vita is a better buy, better screen, better tech, etc. They really should have rethought that price point.

People don't go with Nintendo for the better tech.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
You're all doing a **** poor job at making me not want an XL.

I traded in my old dsi and 3ds and paid 50 bucks more for the xl. Felt stupid the whole time. Just enjoy the old one that you barely use, I thought. But its great. The extra screen size actually makes a huge difference to me. I don't have nearly the same kind of eye strain I would get after playing for a bit with the old one. Super Mario 2 is fun and the system is just the perfect size. Sorry.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Think I might have to trade in my 3DS and get the XL. I rather like the bigger screen once the res stays the same. I might just do it but I rarely play the 3DS and don't really want to trade it in and have the XL sitting up doing the exact same thing.

Maybe NSMB 2 can change that as well.

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A1lDTIZCAAIK0Zm.jpg

The screen really is much bigger, isn't it! (yellow screen=was in power saving mode)

I find it much easier to use the dpad as well. Overall well worth it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The screen really is much bigger, isn't it! (yellow screen=was in power saving mode)

I find it much easier to use the dpad as well. Overall well worth it.

Mine doesn't go that yellow in power save? But yep it is a VAST improvement.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
You're all doing a **** poor job at making me not want an XL.

Ditto...can someone with an XL comment on the feel of the *Right* side buttons? I tend to get some wrist cramping with the original 3DS with my right wrist, and was wondering before I plunk down $200 if the XL will solve that problem.

Also, I heard the XL screen is matte? or not as glossy? How does that affect viewing? I'm actually a fan of the glossy screen.

TIA!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ everything about it is better. The buttons, the feel, the build quality. The screen I never noticed any difference gloss wise from previous 3DS but either way if it s less glossy it's just a vast improvement over the original.

Would get awful hand cramp with 3DS, but here with 3DSXl I don't any more. If there are a trade up scheme in our GameStop or such, I'd certainly recommend doing so.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
OMG...the XL is so much nicer! It is even easier to hold/less cramping with the right hand as I mash the Mario Kart accelerator all the time!

Oprah was right..."Bigger is better!"

I am hoping for some sort of attachment later on to make it easier to grip, like I saw for the old 3DS.

One last funny note...the manual for the original 3DS was huge, like 8x5; the manual for the XL is smaller, about 6x4...I just thought it was ironic.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ yep. Its how the 3DS should have been. :) :)

I've actually managed to play the cumbersome kid Icarus on it without resulting to swear words and insults too lol...

Box packaging for the euro model is ridiculously small compared to the original too :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Box packaging for the euro model is ridiculously small compared to the original too :)

Thanks to the lack of dock (what a daft omission!). That was one of the best things about the 3DS. The ability to just leave it on a cradle all day and the battery was always full for a session.

Had to buy the dock for the XL, it's too important. Urgh :( The dock box is just as big as the XL box. If they put both together you'd need the help of a crane.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks to the lack of dock (what a daft omission!). That was one of the best things about the 3DS. The ability to just leave it on a cradle all day and the battery was always full for a session.

Had to buy the dock for the XL, it's too important. Urgh :( The dock box is just as big as the XL box. If they put both together you'd need the help of a crane.

Lol. Yeah I miss the dock I'm tempted to pick it up myself.

Guess they saw no pint bundling a dock when they couldn't be bothered to supply an AC adapter...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Yes, I can't believe you European-types didn't get the adapter with the XL....I know us Americans are helpless, but in this case, I guess it paid off!

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Ace Attorney 5 is coming to 3DS and it's starring Phoenix Wright again ... so I'll definitely be picking up an XL.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.