PDA

View Full Version : I totaled my new powerbook! SOB!!

MacMan4Ever
Jul 23, 2005, 10:57 PM
I just got my BRAND NEW $3200 PowerBook this afternoon about 4 hours ago. So I get it all hooked up and running, and go sit out on my apartment balcony, im on the 2nd floor.
So im sitting in my patio chair, using the powerbook,when i decide to run in and grab a couple Pepsi's. So I look around for a place to set the PowerBook, see the table is covered with junk, so I set it up on the wide balcony railing.
Upon coming back out, im trying to juggle a glass and 3 pepsi's am halfway to my chair and i trip over the damn power cord! The power cord yanks out of the socket in the power book and the powerbook wobbles on the railing, and as i lunge for it, it topples off the railing to the concrete patio 2 storys below.
Now the aluminum is battered, dented, smashes, has bits of rock embedded in it. The screen is shattered and cracked in a million places, the whole bottom half is bent like a pretzel, the keyboards fell apart keys everwhere, its totally smashed and totalled!
im just about sobbing here, im about to kill myself! argh!!!

ITASOR
Jul 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
Can we see a picture? Man I feel so bad...what can you possibly do? Will your insurance help you out? :(

Capt Underpants
Jul 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
I'm so sorry, dude... that has to be one of the worst powerbook death stories i've ever heard!

So what happens now? Are you out $3200? If so, that sucks...

CanadaRAM
Jul 23, 2005, 11:00 PM
Don't kill yourself....

Question - how did you pay for it? Some premium charge cards offer 30 or 90 days "purchase protection" which covers loss, theft and accidental damage. Check your particular plan.

Lacero
Jul 23, 2005, 11:03 PM
So I get it all hooked up and running, and go sit out on my apartment balcony...Thanks for the cautionary tale. I will go hug my PowerBook now.

Duff-Man
Jul 23, 2005, 11:09 PM
Duff-Man says....geez, I feel for you...what an awful feeling. Like CanadaRAM says...I hope you have that credit card protection. The last think I want to do is make you feel worse and rub salt into the wound but putting a laptop on a balcony ledge is *never* a good idea (as I am sure you've realized by now)...I don't know what else anyone can tell you...I don't think any of us can make you feel any better about what has happened. Just try to get over it and if you are not covered for it I hope the financial hit is not too much of a strain.....oh yeah! (or in your case...I should say....oh no!)

zen.state
Jul 23, 2005, 11:11 PM
I just have one question.. why set it on ther rail?

at least now you will know to be careful and not put your computer(s) in harms way.

MattG
Jul 23, 2005, 11:13 PM
Damn dude...that's really awful. Sorry.

tikibangout
Jul 23, 2005, 11:19 PM
Hahahah! Thats funny ****. I feel sorry for you though man.

nightdweller25
Jul 23, 2005, 11:26 PM
Hahahah! Thats funny ****. I feel sorry for you though man.
BITE YOUR TONGUE!

ham_man
Jul 23, 2005, 11:29 PM
I must admit, that sucks...bad. I just about had a breakdown when I got a little scratch. But for you, man...

Heb1228
Jul 23, 2005, 11:30 PM
Not much else to say but sorry. Maybe you'll get your money back from your credit card co. just as new updates are released... here's hoping

corywoolf
Jul 23, 2005, 11:31 PM
I know that feeling,

Had my $500 iPod stolen out of the back of my backpack at school, I reached behind me to feel my iPod in my backpack as I walked out of the school... I got the worst empty feeling ever. I knew right then I was screwed. Word traveled fast who stole it, I ended up getting it back all scratched up, missing accessories. (luckily I had the Comp USA plan back then and got a new one from them.

My bro's PB got mountain dew spilled on the keyboard within 30 days of purchase... It cost $1000 to repair and has never been as good as new ever since... applecare was immediatly voided due to liquid damage.

Everything happens for a reason... Think about how much you will enjoy your next mac and take good care of it. It is a lesson, and I am sure you learned it. I actually set my iPod on top of my car last year, I drove off. Got home and nearly fainted, I found it on the side of the road, if I wouldn't have made a hard turn it would have been gone forever. Don't think back and try to wish you could go back in time. I found that after tragic events like this that I always don't things for granted and treat things with more respect.

good luck

katie ta achoo
Jul 23, 2005, 11:46 PM
holy S***!

I really hope your Credit card covers the accidental damage!

If that happened to my PB, I'd be in TEARS.

Good luck, man..

joepunk
Jul 24, 2005, 12:02 AM
Can we see a picture? Man I feel so bad...what can you possibly do? Will your insurance help you out? :(

First post and first few words and what do we want? A Picture of the tragic event :p

Anyway, it would be totally shocking to actually see it.

All I can say is sorry for your loss.

Take care.

Ja Di ksw
Jul 24, 2005, 12:09 AM
Wow. I'm . . . . . . really sorry. I wish I had more to give than that. Sorry man.

tsk
Jul 24, 2005, 12:53 AM
Will your homeowners or renters insurance pay for this? Man, that sucks. I mean that sounds like everything is totally trashed. Can't even part it out, except maybe the individual keyboard keys.

On a lighter note, maybe you could try the Kramer USPS/stereo replacement scheme.

katie ta achoo
Jul 24, 2005, 12:56 AM
On a lighter note, maybe you could try the Kramer USPS/stereo replacement scheme.

MMmm... fines for insurance fraud IN ADDITION TO the dead PB.
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my bank account. :)

kukheart
Jul 24, 2005, 12:56 AM
I feel your pain. My powerbook is the most expensive thing I own.

MrSugar
Jul 24, 2005, 01:17 AM
Man, that sucks, bad. I am really sorry to hear about it. Really, really, sorry. :(

I do think this is a good time though to tell people once again: check into computer insurance. The moment you spend that much money you know the repercussions if something happens. Whether it was stolen, an accident, freak lightning, or something else. There are some really good companies that cover all this stuff for a pretty reasonable yearly price. Safeware.com is who I use, but I am sure other people have recommendations.

In your case I really hope your CC, Renters, or Home owners insurance covers it. I am so sorry man. Best of luck...

reberto
Jul 24, 2005, 01:22 AM
My story is not as near as sad as yours but still sort-a sad with a happy ending.

My friends were out biking and when my of my dumb@$$ friends thought it would be funny to ram into my rear tire. Well, that was the dumbest thing he ever did. I was listening to "Ass like that" and them WHAM, he hit me and I fell on the ground, crushing my BRAND NEW 60 gig iPod photo. Well, about a week later, I got a package in the mail with no return address. There was a NEW iPod and a letter saying "he was sorry". Amazingly, I still talk to him, lol :p

Jedda
Jul 24, 2005, 01:24 AM
Whoa, that's incredibly bad man.

So sorry.

topicolo
Jul 24, 2005, 01:33 AM
Man, the moment you mentioned balcony, I got that sinking feeling in my chest that you probably had when you saw your powerbook fall. OUCH. I think I totally know where you're coming from.

AcousticDoc
Jul 24, 2005, 01:44 AM
Well if you just got your power book...Can't you just call up your shipper person and say you received your powerbook in the condition it's currently in? It's not honest....but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Tamer Brad
Jul 24, 2005, 01:47 AM

You put a $3200 computer on a balcony railing several stories up?

zach
Jul 24, 2005, 01:51 AM
that bites, man, but c'est la vie.

make the best of it somehow. although i think the probability of finding a silver lining in that is basically nil...

Panoctopi
Jul 24, 2005, 02:03 AM
We feel your anguish... hope somehow this ends up better than it sounds right now... perhaps you should start a collection plate thread and see how many benefactors hang out on this forum... I'll throw in! :o

mcarnes
Jul 24, 2005, 02:04 AM
Well if you just got your power book...Can't you just call up your shipper person and say you received your powerbook in the condition it's currently in? It's not honest....but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Uh, ever heard of the word FRAUD ?

He would have to sign a statement saying the damage did not happen after delivery. Then FedEx or whoever will inspect the damage carefully and easily conclude it did not happen in transit.

ChrisBrightwell
Jul 24, 2005, 02:22 AM
You put a $3200 computer on a balcony railing several stories up?
That was my first reaction, too.

I mean ... it really sucks, but wow. That's the *last* place I'd think to put my PB while I fetch a drink. Why not set it in the chair when you stood up?

In any case, I hope it works out. I dropped my PB (but only 3-4 feet) and was anguished.

tikibangout
Jul 24, 2005, 02:24 AM
Yeh, no offense, but you shouldn't have placed it on there no matter what. Ah well, hope ya get a refund or something.

Now i'll be extra careful at taking care of my iBook. No one touches it but me.

Ahmed
Jul 24, 2005, 04:33 AM
:p :p :p :p Do u have Applecare? :p :p :p :p

katie ta achoo
Jul 24, 2005, 04:45 AM
:p :p :p :p Do u have Applecare? :p :p :p :p

Doesn't cover accidental damage.

Now, if he says he did this on purpose..
(kidding! don't pummel me!)

man, that must've been the Worst. noise. ever.
:(

iMeowbot
Jul 24, 2005, 04:58 AM
Wow, that's pretty severe. Did you try repairing permissions? *ducks*

ChrisBrightwell
Jul 24, 2005, 05:16 AM
Wow, that's pretty severe. Did you try repairing permissions? *ducks*
Hahaha ...dimwell:~ chris$ sudo chmod -x /bin/gravity
chmod: permission denied

MacTruck
Jul 24, 2005, 05:29 AM
Duct tape and super glue will fix it. At least the duct tape is the same color. :eek:

Ahmed
Jul 24, 2005, 05:48 AM
am sorry 2 hear that , well u ll have to save up from a mactel now maybe ...

FireArse
Jul 24, 2005, 06:34 AM
This is why i bought a PowerMac. I didn't really need the portability - and I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on! Big bummer - The only reason I'd do something like that is with the IBM ThinkPad which is from work - fully insured against anything!!

Why didnt u just place the thing on the floor?!

Do hope for your sake you did pay by credit card!

FireArse

bodeh6
Jul 24, 2005, 07:45 AM
1. Never place anything on the balcony railing no matter how wide.

2. Check with credit card company about purchase protection.

Keep us updated. If something like that happened to my upcoming PowerBook, I think that I would not be feeling good for a few months, years.

lpshean
Jul 24, 2005, 07:51 AM
Ouch. Ouch.

Did i say ouch? Mann.. i feel sad for you. :(

bodeh6
Jul 24, 2005, 07:56 AM
If you used American Express, then they offer 90 day accident and theft protection.

doucy2
Jul 24, 2005, 08:11 AM
wow that has got to suck
sorry to hear that
well if you ever want to sell it, i'll still take it
it would be something cool i could hang from my cealing

JesseJames
Jul 24, 2005, 08:35 AM
(playing Taps)
(standing saluting)

Lacero
Jul 24, 2005, 08:38 AM
MacMan4Ever, post a pic. Or else this thread is just a cruel joke playing on our worst fears.

Koree
Jul 24, 2005, 08:43 AM
ouch................................................................................................ .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ....................................................................

ClarkeB
Jul 24, 2005, 08:58 AM
I just got my BRAND NEW $3200 PowerBook this afternoon about 4 hours ago. So I get it all hooked up and running, and go sit out on my apartment balcony, im on the 2nd floor.
So im sitting in my patio chair, using the powerbook,when i decide to run in and grab a couple Pepsi's. So I look around for a place to set the PowerBook, see the table is covered with junk, so I set it up on the wide balcony railing.
Upon coming back out, im trying to juggle a glass and 3 pepsi's am halfway to my chair and i trip over the damn power cord! The power cord yanks out of the socket in the power book and the powerbook wobbles on the railing, and as i lunge for it, it topples off the railing to the concrete patio 2 storys below.
Now the aluminum is battered, dented, smashes, has bits of rock embedded in it. The screen is shattered and cracked in a million places, the whole bottom half is bent like a pretzel, the keyboards fell apart keys everwhere, its totally smashed and totalled!

My bro's PB got mountain dew spilled on the keyboard within 30 days of purchase... It cost $1000 to repair and has never been as good as new ever since... applecare was immediatly voided due to liquid damage.

I guess that's just what happens when you drink pepsi products :( Next time, grab a Coke...the original cola.

dukeblue91
Jul 24, 2005, 09:18 AM
Ouch
Sorry to hear about your accident :(
I was getting a real nauseated feeling reading your story, I really hope you did pay with CC or have some sort of renter/ home owner insurance.

Arcus
Jul 24, 2005, 09:24 AM
1. Never place anything on the balcony railing no matter how wide.

2. Check with credit card company about purchase protection.

Keep us updated. If something like that happened to my upcoming PowerBook, I think that I would not be feeling good for a few months, years.

How wide the balcony or how wide the object? I told my girlfriend the exact same thing and got slapped. :p

Sorry about you powerbook man. Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? Wonder if they would cover it? Might not cover all but maybe some of the cost of replacement.

corywoolf
Jul 24, 2005, 09:31 AM
here's to hoping this guy is a nut and isn't serious about this accident and is actually posting in this forum on his 17" PB. ;)

macmanmatty
Jul 24, 2005, 09:49 AM
Wow, Just Wow

Xephian
Jul 24, 2005, 10:01 AM
I would be extremely pissed and sad. I would'nt even put any computer on railing like that. Sorry that happened to you.

MacMan4Ever
Jul 24, 2005, 10:31 AM
Oh well, the pepsi's werent too bad, although I was wishing I had some beer right about then, lol. Anyway, its only a computer after all. And no, theres no way for me to get my money back, I checked. BUT.....heres the good news!

I went down to my local Apple Store, and bought another new one! Cost me more, but its worth it. I need my PowerBook! The guys at the store were like OMG WTF, you set your ****** powerbook on the RAILING?! OMG HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?! Lol. Anyway, a PowerBook is worth it. They arent horribly expensive after all, not for such a good computer.

Its pretty much the same one I had, 17", 1.67Ghz, all that.

And yes, im typing this on my NEW powerbook! On my balcony....*knocks wood*.

Well, cheers!

Bibulous
Jul 24, 2005, 10:33 AM
That's a tough one. Who hasn't had a close call with a power cord? Hope the computer you used to post is yours (and a mac).

Where you able to get a pic of the mess, you know, for insurance and macrumors purposes?

tsk
Jul 24, 2005, 11:13 AM
Oh well, the pepsi's werent too bad, although I was wishing I had some beer right about then, lol. Anyway, its only a computer after all. And no, theres no way for me to get my money back, I checked. BUT.....heres the good news!

I went down to my local Apple Store, and bought another new one! Cost me more, but its worth it. I need my PowerBook! The guys at the store were like OMG WTF, you set your ****** powerbook on the RAILING?! OMG HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?! Lol. Anyway, a PowerBook is worth it. They arent horribly expensive after all, not for such a good computer.

Well, at least you have a good attitude about it. If you're over it, you should have brought the PB into the genius bar and told them it doesn't seem to be powering up. Can they fix it?

Jay42
Jul 24, 2005, 11:29 AM
I would bring it back to the Apple Store and raise hell! :D

mwpeters8182
Jul 24, 2005, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't be terribly upset either if I could just go out and get another one. If I dropped mine, I'd be out a Mac for a few months, at least. Good luck with your new PB, hope this one's got a little more luck in it than the last one.

Matt

the_mole1314
Jul 24, 2005, 12:11 PM
Ouch man...

but you've been dug!

digg.com

katie ta achoo
Jul 24, 2005, 12:28 PM
I guess that's just what happens when you drink pepsi products :( Next time, grab a Coke...the original cola.

In Texas, we have Coke and Dr. Pepper.
If you order coke, you get a pepsi
or
if you order coke you get a coke.

We call them sodas!

(if anyone calls them POPs.. I swear, I'll send you the only virus written for OS X EVER! It really bugs me!)

OK, I don't know why that is relevant to anything (It's not)

Good luck with the PB!

the_mole1314
Jul 24, 2005, 12:35 PM
(if anyone calls them POPs.. I swear, I'll send you the only virus written for OS X EVER! It really bugs me!)

It's Pop...

AND YOU KNOW IT

http://popvssoda.com/

jiv3turkey748
Jul 24, 2005, 12:41 PM

yep see theres a valuable lesson to be learned here

Lucky736
Jul 24, 2005, 12:47 PM
I have a hard time believing he just went and got another one and doesnt think anything of it. I call BS on this story.

Sun Baked
Jul 24, 2005, 01:00 PM
I think the story is funny... http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6694&stc=1

But I cannot help liking Homer Simpson, Married with Children, the Three Stooges, and anybody that is foolish enough to act like them in real life.

iMacZealot
Jul 24, 2005, 01:06 PM
Sorry about that story :( but I'm glad you got a new one. Aren't the 17-inch models around $3K??? Anyways, if there are still any good parts from the broken one, sell them to a computer shop and cash in! I took in my sister's old iMac (333 MHz, tray load) and got about $100 for it. It wasn't broken, but the guy said he'd just re-use the old parts...

iMacZealot
Jul 24, 2005, 01:08 PM
Duff-Man says....geez, I feel for you...

Sorry, but I couldn't go without quoting you. I think you should have put a "sorry" in there somewhere.

Man In Black
Jul 24, 2005, 01:10 PM
I have a hard time believing he just went and got another one and doesnt think anything of it. I call BS on this story.

Yeah, he must be really loaded. I wish he would send some of his excess money my way

blackpeter
Jul 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
Ouch man...

but you've been dug!

digg.com

Thanks to me... ;) All you Digg users out there, click on the link below and promote this story to the main page! You Digg??

http://digg.com/apple/Man_s_Brand_New_PowerBook_Plummets_Two_Stories_to_it_s_Death

AlBDamned
Jul 24, 2005, 02:24 PM
Does house insurance not work the same way in the US? If I'd dropped something like a laptop, two stories up, I could legitimately claim on my house insurance? Course, it would still be slightly, embarassing telling them what happened.

blackpeter
Jul 24, 2005, 02:25 PM
Does house insurance not work the same way in the US? If I'd dropped something like a laptop, two stories up, I could legitimately claim on my house insurance?

I think he rents, in which case he would require renter's insurance. Most people don't get renter's insurance.

sobelizzard
Jul 24, 2005, 02:40 PM
BS :rolleyes:

tuartboy
Jul 24, 2005, 02:47 PM
sorry bout the PB damage. That blows.

FYI, I found this over on digg.com

Your famous man... :o

Kirbdog
Jul 24, 2005, 03:07 PM
BS :rolleyes:
Will this be a story that turns into an urban legend on this site?
Post some pictures, and prove all the non-believers wrong.

vga4life
Jul 24, 2005, 03:17 PM
Did you inherit your money?

The mind reels that someone with the poor judgement to put their brand-new powerbook on a balcony railing has somehow made enough money to just pop down to the Apple store and buy a new one.

Eesh.

Supa_Fly
Jul 24, 2005, 03:21 PM

Well, cheers!

Dude I dont even own a Mac yet & this story brought tears to my eyes!

1st suggestion; GET THE HECK OFF THAT BALCONY! Or I'll come down there and smack ya upside the head, or confiscate your PB 17" :mad: ;) :D . But seriously, get off the balcony or get a security lock pronto & anchor it to a safe or the oven. You dont want this happening again, and if it did the security lock could be grabbed to pull up a dangling 17" and prevent it from falling to the floor below.

Guys what do you say of this being an Apple commercial for the Mac experience. Showing how, once you get a Mac you'll do anything to maintain that joyful experience.

Boy that Pepsi, must've tasted like beer then.

katie ta achoo
Jul 24, 2005, 03:34 PM
It's Pop...

AND YOU KNOW IT

http://popvssoda.com/

Gah! Lies! All of it!

(and they're SHOES, not "Tennies")

Mord
Jul 24, 2005, 03:55 PM
i'll pay shipping + 10 bucks if you ship it to me, there should be a few scavagable parts out of it

EJBasile
Jul 24, 2005, 04:53 PM
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to sit on the railing, or put your glass near the edge of the table?

Assuming this story is true, I feel really sorry for you man. $3,000 out the window.

the_mole1314
Jul 24, 2005, 04:56 PM
Gah! Lies! All of it!

(and they're SHOES, not "Tennies")

Well, I agree with you there on the shoes... :p

xli_ne
Jul 24, 2005, 05:12 PM
well i WAS goin to type down my "sorry" and "i can't believe that happened" and "that sucks, i feel sorry for you." BUT if you have enough money to spend on 2 powerbooks without feeling bad, guess you dont really need my sorrys. if spending over 6 grand aint a thing for you, i'm going to vegas next week, and would love to have some more spending money.

pm me if interested. :D

thetourist
Jul 24, 2005, 05:15 PM
dumbass.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/joshb/red_forman.jpg

chucknorris
Jul 24, 2005, 05:15 PM
Out of curiosity...why do I see so many 17" pbook configurations with the price quoted upwards of $3000? The stock configurations are more or less maxed out on power (excepting of course ram).

I'm assuming these configs include applecare...but then what else? Ram, and software can obviously be had elsewhere for much cheaper. Somebody please explain.

mkrishnan
Jul 24, 2005, 05:22 PM
dumbass.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/joshb/red_forman.jpg

:D :D :D

tech4all
Jul 24, 2005, 05:24 PM

I pretty much knew what happened what I read that. When I first saw this thread's title, "I totaled my new powerbook....", I didn't see the "SOB" part and I thought someone added up the total price of their new Powerbook.....guess I was a bit off :o

But man that really hurt to read that. That has to be one the worst computer disasters I've ever heard.

ReanimationLP
Jul 24, 2005, 05:31 PM
I'll give ya 20 for the broken one. :D

rdowns
Jul 24, 2005, 05:49 PM
Man, that sucks.

Doucy2 will probably want to buy it.

Dagless
Jul 24, 2005, 05:52 PM
eep!

and for shame! not learning your lesson! but oh well.

y'know its funny. i have a PB and a laptop and keep them on my desk 24/7. same for my DS and GBA. i only play them in my room. my Gamecubes travelled more than my GBA. hmmm.

blackpeter
Jul 24, 2005, 05:52 PM
Dude, you're getting Dugg... http://digg.com/apple/Man_s_Brand_New_PowerBook_Plummets_Two_Stories_to_it_s_Death and bloged... http://bradleychambers.blogspot.com/

AlBDamned
Jul 24, 2005, 06:03 PM
I think he rents

U can say that again...

waltchan
Jul 24, 2005, 06:04 PM
It sounds like to him that $3,000 is cheap for him. So he spent $6,500 for one new Powerbook. I would rather buy a new Hyundai car instead.

eva01
Jul 24, 2005, 06:07 PM
heh part of me feels bad for you yet part of me doesn't for you being basically an idiot and leaving it on the ledge

NNO-Stephen
Jul 24, 2005, 06:11 PM
PICTURES

you must post pictures.

I have some trouble believing you as you'd have to be borderline retarded to leave a powerbook on a balcony rail...

puckhead193
Jul 24, 2005, 06:56 PM
i feel bad for the computer.... why would you put in on the railing... its like leaving a computer out in the rain :rolleyes:
i would like to see pictures though :D

ITASOR
Jul 24, 2005, 07:04 PM
<snip>
$3,000 out the window.

More like "off the balcony." :rolleyes:

LimeiBook86
Jul 24, 2005, 07:20 PM
I think some insurance companies might cover such things. Did you look into it? :confused:

mpopkin
Jul 24, 2005, 08:06 PM
all i can say is sorry and hopefully your insurance will cover it. I wont bother with the railing stuff.

MacMan4Ever
Jul 24, 2005, 08:09 PM
To those who want to see a photo of my unfortuanate occurance, Im sorry, wish I could, but I just havent been able to afford a digital camera. Besides, what would I use one for, except for taking naked shots of my hairy obese pale body to post on geek fetish porn sites?

mac-er
Jul 24, 2005, 08:14 PM
I smell a troll...

Only one response from this guy, and no pictures posted? Hmmm...

And just about every credit card company offers protections....

P.S. All those digg.com people can rot in hell for their anti-Apple comments...shows what they know.

homerjward
Jul 24, 2005, 08:30 PM
To those who want to see a photo of my unfortuanate occurance, Im sorry, wish I could, but I just havent been able to afford a digital camera. Besides, what would I use one for, except for taking naked shots of my hairy obese pale body to post on geek fetish porn sites?
$6k worth of pb and no digital camera? :p just kidding.
that really sucks, man. i have a desktop mac so im not really worried about that but i cant imagine how i'd feel if it got destroyed like that... :(:mad:

popcornfairy
Jul 24, 2005, 08:32 PM
I'm so crazy that I lock up my iMac (G5) in a bedroom when I leave the house so you can't see it in the office.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 24, 2005, 08:49 PM
ok now I call ********.

you say it's no problem to just go buy another one, and yet you can't afford 150 bucks for a digital camera...

fake.

JRM PowerPod
Jul 24, 2005, 09:03 PM
Should i post pictures of my New 2.7GHZ G5 which fell off my balcony. I had 8GB of ram, i salvaged 4GB, but the rest is stuffed.

Mood
Jul 24, 2005, 09:10 PM
troll.

but if real, hah a ha ha ha haha serves you right

http://members.aol.com/blackrose3000/images/negrodamus.jpg

Negrodamus predicts that you will put your baby on a car roof and forget the baby while driving.

ravenvii
Jul 24, 2005, 09:27 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/ravenvii/hahanet.gif

iJon
Jul 24, 2005, 09:29 PM
Everything happens for a reason
Or maybe people are dumb and put their PowerBooks on balcony ledges. I guess I can agree that saying it was meant to happen would be an easier way to cope with loosing a $3200 PowerBook.

jon

Lucky736
Jul 24, 2005, 09:31 PM
I believe I was the first to call BS. ;)

Arcus
Jul 24, 2005, 09:49 PM
Take your disembowled PB back to the apple store and tell them that you stuck a Windows XP disk in and it exploded.

zelmo
Jul 24, 2005, 10:17 PM
Doucy2 will probably want to buy it.

:D :D

What a load of troll dung this story is. Spending $6,400 for 2 PB's in two days, yet no cash for a digital camera (or even a camera phone)? :rolleyes:

iJon
Jul 24, 2005, 10:20 PM
:D :D

What a load of troll dung this story is. Spending $6,400 for 2 PB's in two days, yet no cash for a digital camera (or even a camera phone)? :rolleyes:
I find it funnier with everyone offering their condolences for him and his loss. I'm tempted to ask when the funeral will be.

jon

spitcoff
Jul 24, 2005, 10:32 PM
that really sucks. I had my 17' powerbook for all of 2 weeks before i broke my screen so i feel your pain. Luckly i had insurance freom safeware for it so it got fixed no problem

alex_ant
Jul 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
I used to manage an all-Mac computer lab at a local university. We just got in a new shipment of 40 dual 2.0GHz G5s, totally maxed out with 30" Cinema displays. Well, the shipment came a day early, before we had cleared off the old computers from the tables, so we had nowhere to put them. Just our luck, this building happened to have a large balcony with a wide, flat railing that happened to be completely unused, so we unboxed all the G5s and displays and sat them all on the balcony handrail. But it was really windy that day and, while we were inside, everything blew off and fell 10 stories to the pavement below, killing 2 people and smashing up some cars, and needless to say, everything was in pieces. I was nearly in tears, but what can you do? Macs are just so well designed! So we rented a semi truck and drove down to the Apple Store and bought 40 more maxed-out Macs. (I put them on my credit card) So it all worked out in the end! :D

I wish I had some pics, but I can't afford a digital camera. :(

blackpeter
Jul 24, 2005, 11:21 PM
I smell a troll...

Only one response from this guy, and no pictures posted? Hmmm...

And just about every credit card company offers protections....

P.S. All those digg.com people can rot in hell for their anti-Apple comments...shows what they know.

Jeez. Lighten up. There is a world out there and some people don't like Macs. I don't understand them either, but I've learned to take it with a grain of salt.

I sure hope some PC lover out there isn't wishing I "rot in hell" every time I made a joke about Windows. Something tells me you need to get out more...

homerjward
Jul 24, 2005, 11:23 PM
I used to manage an all-Mac computer lab at a local university. We just got in a new shipment of 40 dual 2.0GHz G5s, totally maxed out with 30" Cinema displays. Well, the shipment came a day early, before we had cleared off the old computers from the tables, so we had nowhere to put them. Just our luck, this building happened to have a large balcony with a wide, flat railing that happened to be completely unused, so we unboxed all the G5s and displays and sat them all on the balcony handrail. But it was really windy that day and, while we were inside, everything blew off and fell 10 stories to the pavement below, killing 2 people and smashing up some cars, and needless to say, everything was in pieces. I was nearly in tears, but what can you do? Macs are just so well designed! So we rented a semi truck and drove down to the Apple Store and bought 40 more maxed-out Macs. (I put them on my credit card) So it all worked out in the end! :D

roflmao!!!!!

Man In Black
Jul 25, 2005, 12:07 AM
Hell, thats the funniest thing Ive read in a long time! Referring to alex_ant's post. :D

The_Man
Jul 25, 2005, 01:24 AM
Oh Man I feel for you. I freak out when I think that I might have a tiny scrape on my iPod that you can see when you tilt it at the light.
I think it is awesome though that you can just put it past you so fast and run out to buy the same exact model.

The_Man
Jul 25, 2005, 01:28 AM

This is what I would write if I thought you were lying.

HAHAHAHA.
Well your story isnt nearly as bad as the time I single handedly bought 200 Powermacs decked out and couldnt find a nice looking place to set them down, so I then set all of them on top of the empire state building ledge that just happened to be there. Anyway, to make a long story short they ALL fell over and killed 200 people and 10,000 kittens! It was a bad day, at least until I got a free ice cream cone!
Too bad I dont have a camera or any proof at all.

mad jew
Jul 25, 2005, 01:35 AM
Anyway, to make a long story short they ALL fell over and killed 200 people and 10,000 kittens!

That's 10,000 potential OSX names you just killed there. I hope you feel rotten! :mad:

CiBoys
Jul 25, 2005, 02:08 AM
i just think this is a "story" not at all real :) until i see some pictures. if he can affort a 3,000 PB he should have a digital camera. COME ON LET SEE IT...

aussie_geek
Jul 25, 2005, 02:26 AM
Not sure what to think here...

Sorry dude if you have lost your PowerBook due to Newtons 1st law.

On the other hand, where are the Pics mate :mad:

It's pretty sad for a Troll to post something like this. You must be sitting in your cold dark dungeon lapping this up. Get a life !!

aussie_geek

katie ta achoo
Jul 25, 2005, 02:54 AM
That's 10,000 potential OSX names you just killed there. I hope you feel rotten! :mad:
You mean 10.7 won't be named Whiskers or Fluffy?

*sobs*

pianojoe
Jul 25, 2005, 05:10 AM
Rule: Never put anything on the balcony railing.

Question: Is it because I might lose my brand new PowerBook?

Answer: No, blockhead. It is because you might actually kill someone.

Note: This is "kill" like in "a dead body lying on the ground after being hit by a notebook computer that someone left on the balcony railing".

xli_ne
Jul 25, 2005, 08:17 AM
o look... macman got banned.

should have bought that camera.

Sun Baked
Jul 25, 2005, 10:37 AM

should have bought that camera.He tried to sell the PowerBook...

And didn't play nice with the people asking for more information. ;)

People would definitely want some pictures before buying "as-is" parts out of a crushed notebook.

---

Probably time to have this thread killed. :confused:

tsk
Jul 25, 2005, 10:40 AM
i just think this is a "story" not at all real :) until i see some pictures. if he can affort a 3,000 PB he should have a digital camera. COME ON LET SEE IT...

Yes, I think so too. And if you notice, he's also banned now.

He listed a marketplace ad and I responded to it. He responded to me with a nasty vulgar email in which he referred to an "imaginary trashed powerbook."

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 25, 2005, 11:05 AM
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to sit on the railing, or put your glass near the edge of the table?

Assuming this story is true, I feel really sorry for you man. $3,000 out the window.

More accurately - off the balcony. :D

(Yes, I am back from my "Perpetual Motion Tour" TM of San Francisco (between the flights, the walking, and the BART and MUNI rides - my brain just just a little fried). Just flew in a couple hours ago - and boy are my arms tired :D )

CiBoys
Jul 25, 2005, 11:06 AM

and i wonder why... HMMMM :D :D :D :D

dejo
Jul 25, 2005, 10:37 PM
Rule: Never put anything on the balcony railing.

Question: Is it because I might lose my brand new PowerBook?

Answer: No, blockhead. It is because you might actually kill someone.

Note: This is "kill" like in "a dead body lying on the ground after being hit by a notebook computer that someone left on the balcony railing".

Actually, there are a few items you can leave on balconies without fear of killing anyone below. Besides the obvious like tissues and stuff, MythBusters proved that it is safe to leave a penny.

zflauaus
Jul 25, 2005, 11:24 PM
In Texas, we have Coke and Dr. Pepper.
If you order coke, you get a pepsi
or
if you order coke you get a coke.

We call them sodas!

OK, I don't know why that is relevant to anything (It's not)

Good luck with the PB!

You sound like my sister! Without the whole virus thing. She went to school up north and everybody called soda "pop" and she said "pop" is a sound! Anyways to the guy who made this thread, you had what was coming to you.

MattG
Jul 26, 2005, 12:10 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/ravenvii/hahanet.gif
Oh no....first Fark, now the HAHA guy has infiltrated MacRumors :eek:

jiv3turkey748
Jul 26, 2005, 12:11 AM
i honestly cant believe people are still posting on this thread havent we already determined that its not for real

Lacero
Jul 26, 2005, 12:12 AM
We're still coming to grips that it's all a h0ax.

katie ta achoo
Jul 26, 2005, 01:00 AM
Oh no....first Fark, now the HAHA guy has infiltrated MacRumors :eek:

Haha, I love how angry everyone on fark gets at the HA HA guy.

:)

mac-er
Jul 27, 2005, 04:29 PM
Jeez. Lighten up. There is a world out there and some people don't like Macs. I don't understand them either, but I've learned to take it with a grain of salt.

I sure hope some PC lover out there isn't wishing I "rot in hell" every time I made a joke about Windows. Something tells me you need to get out more...

I get out enough thanks.
I don't like unfounded comments like those people were making (ie "at least it wasn't a real computer that fell off"), and I don't make unfounded comments about Windows.

illegal amigo
Jul 27, 2005, 05:30 PM
I thought this would be a good thread for my safeware question. (Sorry!) But to whoever suggested it (or uses it) is it a one-time premium or recurring, and if recurring, how often? I'm trying to figure it out from their site.

Over Achiever
Jul 27, 2005, 06:07 PM
I remember when I dropped my powerbook and dented one of the corners badly ... I thought it was the end of the world x_x But it still worked and I counted my lucky stars.

Well like everyone said, try your credit card company and your homeowners insurance, hopefully you can get some help there.

EDIT - Never mind, I guess I should read past the first 40 posts -_- Really funny >_<

Man In Black
Aug 1, 2005, 01:10 AM
I remember when I dropped my powerbook and dented one of the corners badly ... I thought it was the end of the world x_x But it still worked and I counted my lucky stars.

Well like everyone said, try your credit card company and your homeowners insurance, hopefully you can get some help there.

EDIT - Never mind, I guess I should read past the first 40 posts -_- Really funny >_<
duh....it looked like BS from the beginning! lolzorz, man.

Nermal
Aug 1, 2005, 01:21 AM
He tried to sell the PowerBook...

And didn't play nice with the people asking for more information. ;)

And he had two MR accounts.

devilot
Aug 1, 2005, 01:23 AM
And he had two MR accounts.
Whoa, I didn't know that. Are both accounts now banned? May we know the other handle in case we are tempted by some juicy FS/FT/WTB thread?

Platform
Aug 1, 2005, 01:32 AM
OMG.........I have been laughing so much about this thread...6400 bucks+no pics :p :p

Repair permissions......hahahahh that was the best one :D :D :D

Nermal
Aug 1, 2005, 01:59 AM
Whoa, I didn't know that. Are both accounts now banned? May we know the other handle in case we are tempted by some juicy FS/FT/WTB thread?

One got a ban, the other got a timeout. It's probably best to keep his other account name private for now, we (mods) can see what somebody's using two accounts so we'll keep an eye open.

devilot
Aug 1, 2005, 02:47 AM
One got a ban, the other got a timeout. It's probably best to keep his other account name private for now, we (mods) can see what somebody's using two accounts so we'll keep an eye open.
Sounds good, thanks for the info and the good/hard work, mods!

Man In Black
Aug 1, 2005, 09:38 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the info and the good/hard work, mods!
Yep, what would we do without you guys? :eek:

AP_piano295
Aug 1, 2005, 09:54 AM
Why did everyone freak out... its just a guy lieing about dropping his powerbook.... or is there a sinister plot underneath it all :rolleyes:

devilot
Aug 1, 2005, 10:10 AM
Why did everyone freak out... its just a guy lieing about dropping his powerbook.... or is there a sinister plot underneath it all :rolleyes:
He then attempted to sell his virtual "laptop" and became quite rude when people asked for some sort of verification (ie photos, other feedback ratings, etc.).

andiwm2003
Aug 1, 2005, 11:33 AM

because to most of the geeks here just imagining a brand new PB destroyed causes real physical pain, nightmares, post traumatic stress syndrom and long term depression. so this is no simple joke. this is a direct attack on our health and well being and leads to increased consum of wodka in larger quantities. which in return leads to substatial loss of money given the cocktail prices in the boston area.

people should really think what they are doing and what the results can be. just look at this pointless thread with 140 posts and counting.

Over Achiever
Aug 1, 2005, 12:24 PM
Why exactly is this thread still being commented on? x_x (I'm not helping either =/)

As well as the pain of damaging a laptop, it's the same as getting in a car accident or storm damage on your house *shrug*

KD7IWP
Aug 1, 2005, 01:08 PM
*Moment of Silence* I will be praying for you, this is horrendous.

lilsuprano
Aug 1, 2005, 08:19 PM
Just for wasting all of our time, I hope this guy's Powerbook DOES fall off a balcony...and then no ones gonna care :p

Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf? ;)

Man In Black
Aug 2, 2005, 01:04 AM
Just for wasting all of our time, I hope this guy's Powerbook DOES fall off a balcony...and then no ones gonna care :p

Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf? ;)

Probably doesnt even have a PowerBook. Probably has a Dell.

Mechcozmo
Aug 2, 2005, 01:57 AM

Whatever happened to reading beyond post #5?

Sunrunner
Jan 11, 2006, 01:50 PM

Man... Now THAT would totally suck man... :(

bousozoku
Jan 11, 2006, 02:02 PM
It's been long enough that we should put this to rest.