Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stvchu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
There's no signal now that Apple will release 2012 Mac mini soon.

Even it is released, we can look forward to new ivy bridge, better graphics and usb 3.0. But USB3.0 is nothing to me, ivy bridge is only a bit more power than sandy bridge.

Only what I care about is Graphics!

If I buy 2011-mid mini with a dedicated graphic card, the 6630M 256MB, is it powerful than new Intel HD 4000? Is it also shipped with HD 3000 like MBP or only a 256MB dedicated card?

I need your advice, buy the 2011-mid one or wait the new one!

Thanks.

andychelt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I assume your need for a graphics card is to play games?

What games do you want to play on the mini?

useme2305

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
new mac mini will most definitely be out when mountain lion is released, which is in three weeks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm assuming that, apple will update the iMac before the mini, and so you may have a longer wait then you really want :(

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I'm currently very close to pulling the trigger on a Mac Mini too, mainly for HTPC-type duties.

Hopefully, we will see a hardware refresh with Mountain Lion's release in the latter part of next month (MaFlynn may know otherwise, though!) so, unless you're really desperate to get hold of one now, I'd say hold off and see what July brings in terms of news and - if there is a new model - what the specs bring in terms of performance.

On the other hand, Minis seem to hold their price pretty well, so you could always sell it on for a hit, if late July brings a new model.

I'm waiting, though. :)

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
I'm assuming that, apple will update the iMac before the mini, and so you may have a longer wait then you really want :(

On what basis is this speculation?

As for Apple's past, they seldom updated one Mac alone quietly. So there's absolutely NO reason why they would update the iMac before the Mini.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban

Even it is released, we can look forward to new ivy bridge, better graphics and usb 3.0. But USB3.0 is nothing to me, ivy bridge is only a bit more power than sandy bridge.

If I buy 2011-mid mini with a dedicated graphic card, the 6630M 256MB, is it powerful than new Intel HD 4000? Is it also shipped with HD 3000 like MBP or only a 256MB dedicated card?

Thanks.

I contacted Apple yesterday on the online support chat, asked when the Mac Mini was being refreshed as I wanted to buy one but didn't want to pay 2012 prices for 2011 tech, the answer I got was surprising as I was expecting the old "Don't know just buy one now" response, instead the support human on the other side hinted at a refresh by saying I should keep checking the apple store and also the apple Hot News page as they weren't sure WHEN it would be refreshed, never once did they deny that it would be refreshed even when I asked that.

So potentially good news.

PS I'm in the same boat as you, but think I can wait a month for USB 3 and Ivy Bridge.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
When even the Apple retail stuff doesn't want to say their usual "maybe" the refresh should be pretty soon. End of july comes in mind again.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
The Mac mini is most likely to come out in July, possibly together with ML as many rumors say.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
On what basis is this speculation?

As for Apple's past, they seldom updated one Mac alone quietly. So there's absolutely NO reason why they would update the iMac before the Mini.

Generally they seem to update the other lines first and then the mini. Not concrete, but generally they focus on the higher end machines (mac pro excluded) before drawing their attention on the mini.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Generally they seem to update the other lines first and then the mini. Not concrete, but generally they focus on the higher end machines (mac pro excluded) before drawing their attention on the mini.

Then again the 2011 Mac Minis were released with the 2011 Macbook Airs which (especially last year) are some of their best selling computers. Further the release coincided with the official release of OS X Lion (exact same day of July 20th)....

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I contacted Apple yesterday on the online support chat, asked when the Mac Mini was being refreshed as I wanted to buy one but didn't want to pay 2012 prices for 2011 tech, the answer I got was surprising as I was expecting the old "Don't know just buy one now" response, instead the support human on the other side hinted at a refresh by saying I should keep checking the apple store and also the apple Hot News page as they weren't sure WHEN it would be refreshed, never once did they deny that it would be refreshed even when I asked that.

PS I'm in the same boat as you, but think I can wait a month for USB 3 and Ivy Bridge.

Well no ****, they're in the business of making computers after all, it will get updated eventually, question has always been when.

----------

Thanks.

Depending on the caliber of game you're trying to play, it might be better to get a computer that doesn't have a laptop video card in it.

While the 6630M can run some games, don't expect to play them at high settings.

The HACK

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011

Strange, this was my experience when we were trying to replace my wife's water logged iPhone 3G 3.5 years ago. The retail associate basically stopped us in our tracks and said that "are you sure you want to replace it with a 3Gs now? I can't officially confirm this but there may be a new iPhone coming out within 4-6 weeks."

Dude rather lose a sale on the floor. Weird.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I'm currently very close to pulling the trigger on a Mac Mini too, mainly for HTPC-type duties. :)

Am needing a new one for HTPC duties too provided its a quad core w/hyperthreading and at least 3Ghz. Ivy bridge chips should run cool enough to put a 3 Ghz one in a mini. If apple nuters the mini again, am done with apple. Apple could really make my day by putting a hex in the mini. :D

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Strange, this was my experience when we were trying to replace my wife's water logged iPhone 3G 3.5 years ago. The retail associate basically stopped us in our tracks and said that "are you sure you want to replace it with a 3Gs now? I can't officially confirm this but there may be a new iPhone coming out within 4-6 weeks."

They don't make commission, why not? :)

It's not like you weren't going to get a new one, it was just a matter of that day or a few weeks from then.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011

This is what is known as "good customer service." It is so rare in 2012 that many people don't know what it is when it happens to them.

My father sold cars the last part of his working life. He was one of Lincoln Mercury's most successful salespeople in the U.S. He told me that you can make a lot of money in sales without every having to be deceitful and that people remember you when you put their needs above your own.

That attitude sure worked for him: he made a very good living, drove a company-provided Lincoln (NOT a "demonstrator" as they called cars reserved for test drives in those days...) and he had many repeat customers.

It doesn't really matter if that sales associate works on commission or not: he realized that you would probably be a happier person if your replacement iPhone was not eclipsed by the updated version a short time after your purchase. (Many people react rather badly when that happens...)

Whenever I experience this kind of treatment from a salesperson I try to let someone in management know about it. You don't have to go into the details if it's something like your situation where management might have preferred a sale that day vs. three weeks into the future. Just let them know that the sales associate exceeded your expectations.

A lot of these folks work for peanuts (including most Apple sales associates) while dealing with their share of obnoxious customers. People are quick to complain but slow to praise; in cases like yours taking a few minutes to apply the Golden Rule can mean a lot to a salesperson.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Am needing a new one for HTPC duties too provided its a quad core w/hyperthreading and at least 3Ghz. Ivy bridge chips should run cool enough to put a 3 Ghz one in a mini. If apple nuters the mini again, am done with apple. Apple could really make my day by putting a hex in the mini. :D

There will be a quad in the server model. It won't run anything near 3 GHz though.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Aside from the fact that there's no way you'll see a 3Ghz processor in a 2012 Mini, why would you need one for HTPC? the current 2Ghz model more than fast enough for that kind of task.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Aside from the fact that there's no way you'll see a 3Ghz processor in a 2012 Mini, why would you need one for HTPC? the current 2Ghz model more than fast enough for that kind of task.

For HTPC usage for sure. But there are many who use it as a desktop - after all, there's just the iMac with the integrated screen and the super-expensive Mac Pro as other options, so if Apple put at least a Quad-Core CPU in the Mini, it's a more than solid desktop even for 1080p AVCHD FCP X editing.

foranor

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
On a software that costs half of a mac mini, you worry about the machines performance? Clearly if you can put out that kind of money for the sw, you can buy a mac pro with the needed power..?

Michael6:22

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
I am currently a new Apple customer but I am still loyal to the bang the average PC tower provides this generation. I'm sorry but you are not wise to dish out so much for a Apple Tower when for half the price if not a quarter of the price, you can get a PC tower to run circles around it. Buying a "quality" PC tower will get you much better bang for the buck if optimized and setup correctly for your specific need.

I am a audio engineer and still have more than I need on a AMD A6 quadcore machine. Intel and Apple continue to raise hype with all this un-needed horsepower. At least AMD is more worried about saving you cash, reserving power and giving more speed as they innovate.

Apple is still worth it for the long haul for those doing daily needs like Facebook, documents and such. As for flat out raw power, sorry.....PC

Last edited:

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
On a software that costs half of a mac mini, you worry about the machines performance? Clearly if you can put out that kind of money for the sw, you can buy a mac pro with the needed power..?

Let's see ...

The Mac Mini costs about 1000 with proper specs. FCP X costs 239€, throw in Motion or Compressor and you're at 279€. That's hardly half the cost of the Mini, is it?

After all, this combination still costs only about one third of a Mac Pro with good specs (who buys a quad-core Mac Pro?), so much money saved. And if you don't need 4k editing, you're good to go. What's the point of burning money (and energy, for that matter)?

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I have a 2011 base mini and honestly am waiting for Haswell before I purchase another. Nevertheless I do hope there are good specs for the Ivy Bridge line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.