Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoisdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
I got a dual 1.8 refurb PowerMac this past week and it didn't exactly work and the AppleCare people declared it DOA, meaning it was a hardware issue and I had 3 options to handle it. They were

1. Take it to a reseller and get it fixed.
2. Have a tech-guy come out and try and fix it.
3. Take it to an Apple Store and exchange it.

Now, I live reasonably close to the Santa Monica Apple Store. I should choose option 3 and hope they can get me a better model, right? The AppleCare guy said that there's a good chance they won't have my refurb in stock and will have no other option than to give me an upgraded PMac. He said the downside would be getting my AppleCare switched over, but I can handle a little hassle for an upgrade.

Is this true? Anybody have an opinion on this stuff?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I wouldn't want to get it fixed, as who knows what the heck problems it will cause later on.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Yeah, go exchange it. I wouldn't be so worried about getting it fixed and causing problems. But it seems like you'll be at their mercy which could take a bit of time. Getting it exchanged for presumably a new model would be the way to go IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.