Refurb PMac was DOA, what now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whoisdan, Jul 24, 2005.

1. whoisdan macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2005
    I got a dual 1.8 refurb PowerMac this past week and it didn't exactly work and the AppleCare people declared it DOA, meaning it was a hardware issue and I had 3 options to handle it. They were

1. Take it to a reseller and get it fixed.
    2. Have a tech-guy come out and try and fix it.
    3. Take it to an Apple Store and exchange it.

Now, I live reasonably close to the Santa Monica Apple Store. I should choose option 3 and hope they can get me a better model, right? The AppleCare guy said that there's a good chance they won't have my refurb in stock and will have no other option than to give me an upgraded PMac. He said the downside would be getting my AppleCare switched over, but I can handle a little hassle for an upgrade.

Is this true? Anybody have an opinion on this stuff?
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I wouldn't want to get it fixed, as who knows what the heck problems it will cause later on.
  3. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeah, go exchange it. I wouldn't be so worried about getting it fixed and causing problems. But it seems like you'll be at their mercy which could take a bit of time. Getting it exchanged for presumably a new model would be the way to go IMO.
  4. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002
  5. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2004
    Aberdeen, NJ
  6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    To be honest its a no-brainer...E X C H A N G E !!