Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishy1500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Hi everyone, with all the hype about the new powerbooks and ibooks, i'm sure u won't bother looking at this thread but any help would be deeply appreciated.

Anyways, I just got my first mac right now in the mail (powermac dp1ghz)!!! But yeah, I was wondering how good airport cards are and if they work just fine with like a linksys wireless router (as long as its 802.11b). Are there any known problems with airport cards as far as signal strength? Will it work well through walls (my wireless basestation is in another room). Anyways, thanks in advance! I can't wait to go home and try my new mac

-Fishy1500

yzeater

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
I'm in the exact same boat, except I'm getting a PB Ti, and I have an SMC router

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Re: Question about Airport Cards

Originally posted by Fishy1500
But yeah, I was wondering how good airport cards are and if they work just fine with like a linksys wireless router (as long as its 802.11b). Are there any known problems with airport cards as far as signal strength? Will it work well through walls (my wireless basestation is in another room). Anyways, thanks in advance! I can't wait to go home and try my new mac

-Fishy1500

good question...
I just ordered the "faster" TiBook that comes with the airport card built-in... :D

Damn, I sold my iMacDV400... I could have used it as my base-station:(

praise Apple!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
You should be just fine.

I have a Linksys Wireless 4-port and it works seamlessly with my Airport card in my TiBook (although the rage on the Tibook is greatly reduced because the Ti metal). However, you shoud have no problem jumping through a wall or two with the Linksys router and your PowerMac. Matter of fact, I have Range throughout my entire house, and if it weren't for the bad reception on the TiBook, I could Browse the net in my Garage!

And Goddamit, I am so happy for you and your Mac purchase!

Have a great time!

Chad4Mac

metrolotus

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2002
airport

im using an ibook with an smc wireless router the thing to remember is if you use 64bit encryption you need to put a $ in front of the log on code.

ex..

$b1w3llhw

goodluck

Fishy1500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Cool, thanks a lot guys :D i think it'll be worth my while to go get an airport card and just try it out. Seems like it should work just fine. Thanks again!

-Fishy1500

btw those new powerbook specs are pretty fantastic huh? :D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I've used my iBook with Airport in the back yard...

... and the airport hub is upstairs - and I have metal studs in my house. It works perfectly. I can access the web, other computers, and print on appletalk printers. Like most things Apple does, smooth as silk.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Airport Base Station

I know this may be sacreligious to ask, but are there any other wifi routers or WAP's that have a built in 56k modem, I want one that fucntions like the apple if possilbe and i'm wondering if anyother brands produces a similar model.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I heard them saying something about attaching an external antenna. Is this possible?

I'm buying the tote n' tilt handle, and it'd be nice to have an antenna wired to it discreetly...that way I can get good reception in three directions, including in front of me ;)

Fishy1500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Hey cool, I just got the airport card, plugged it in, had a few headaches in trying to get it to connect to the internet, but it finally works, great signal strength too :)

So it really does work fine with other brands of wireless base stations (mine was a linksys).

Odd thing was, even after I was able to connected to the router and get a good signal strength, i couldn't get a real internet connection to browse any websites. I tried rebooting, power cycling my dsl modem and router, still doesn't work. But then there was a power outage for like 2 minutes, and it worked afterwards... weird huh? oh well :D

yzeater

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
Same here! Mine works perfectly. I told it to find the network with the most signal strength, and it connected (on a Powerbook) with more signal than our Cisco card in our other laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.