PDA

View Full Version : Make Mission Control Button open Dashboard

3bs
Jul 4, 2012, 03:00 PM
I just upgraded from a late 2010 MBA to a mid 2012 MBA so I'm used to having a physical button for Dashboard and would like to make it so I can access the Dashboard using the Mission control button without having to use the function key or any other keys. What can I do to get this work?

GGJstudios
Jul 4, 2012, 03:02 PM
I just upgraded from a late 2010 MBA to a mid 2012 MBA so I'm used to having a physical button for Dashboard and would like to make it so I can access the Dashboard using the Mission control button without having to use the function key or any other keys. What can I do to get this work?
One option is to use a hot corner to access the Dashboard. I find it's very efficient.

3bs
Jul 4, 2012, 03:06 PM
One option is to use a hot corner to access the Dashboard. I find it's very efficient.

I know but like I said, I'm just so used to having a button for it. Any ideas how to get this to work? In Preferences > Mission Control > Show Dashboard can't be set to use the button.

I know an app called Spark that can let you make custom keyboard shortcuts but I don't know how to get it to do this.

robgendreau
Jul 4, 2012, 05:27 PM
Try BetterTouchTool; it allows you to set your own key for Dashboard.

3bs
Jul 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
Try BetterTouchTool; it allows you to set your own key for Dashboard.

I use it but even with it, when I go to input the keyboard shortcut to create a new one I can't press the Mission Control button without activating it.

AlanShutko
Jul 5, 2012, 06:58 PM
Run these two commands in Terminal. The first turns off launchpad on the key code. The second turns on Dashboard.

defaults write com.apple.symbolichotkeys AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 160 "{enabled = 0; value = { parameters = (65535, 131, 0); type = 'standard'; }; }"
defaults write com.apple.symbolichotkeys AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 62 "{enabled = 1; value = { parameters = (65535, 131, 0); type = 'standard'; }; }"

3bs
Jul 5, 2012, 07:01 PM
Run these two commands in Terminal. The first turns off launchpad on the key code. The second turns on Dashboard.

defaults write com.apple.symbolichotkeys AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 160 "{enabled = 0; value = { parameters = (65535, 131, 0); type = 'standard'; }; }"
defaults write com.apple.symbolichotkeys AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 62 "{enabled = 1; value = { parameters = (65535, 131, 0); type = 'standard'; }; }"

Thank you but before I try this, is this reversible and what are the commands?

AlanShutko
Jul 5, 2012, 07:14 PM
Thank you but before I try this, is this reversible and what are the commands?

It is reversible.

defaults write com.apple.symbolichotkeys AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 160 "{enabled = 1; value = { parameters = (65535, 131, 0); type = 'standard'; }; }"
defaults write com.apple.symbolichotkeys AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 62 "{enabled = 0; value = { parameters = (65535, 131, 0); type = 'standard'; }; }"

(reverses the enabled flag)

3bs
Jul 5, 2012, 07:25 PM

Didn't work. I wanted to replace the Mision Control key though not the Launchpad key.

njaremka
Jul 6, 2012, 07:36 AM
if you have 4-finger swipe set for the trackpad, 4-finger swipe up shows all desktops, and the far left screen is the dashboard. 4-finger left and right switches between the different desktops.

3bs
Jul 6, 2012, 08:10 AM
if you have 4-finger swipe set for the trackpad, 4-finger swipe up shows all desktops, and the far left screen is the dashboard. 4-finger left and right switches between the different desktops.

Thank you. I'm also aware of that but I want to use the Mission Control key alone to access Dashboard. Nothing else.

Mandibela
Feb 9, 2014, 06:27 PM
I'd like to use my Dashboard key (early 2011 mbp) to launch Dashboard. Now the effin' Launchpad comes up. Fn-F12 works, but that is also not how I'm used to use this machine. I presume that the change of my logic board is the reason why the key binding is now wrong, because nothing else has happened.

Can anyone help me to the correct codes? I'm not interested in losing F4 by flipping it. Also, deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist did nothing, only removed a lot of previous bindings.