Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
So I recently bought a MacBook Air from my university campus store, and when I opened it up I checked the SSD and screen on this machine. It turns out that the SSD is Toshiba and the screen an LG :( so I'm pretty upset, mostly about the screen since I plopped down $1200 for this machine.

Quick question though, would I be able to exchange it at the Apple Store? Or should I call apple directly and are what they could do? Thanks

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Help me understand why you think you should be able to do this?

Would you expect to be able to buy something at Target and return it at JCPenneys?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I recently bought a MacBook Air from my university campus store, and when I opened it up I checked the SSD and screen on this machine. It turns out that the SSD is Toshiba and the screen an LG :( so I'm pretty upset, mostly about the screen since I plopped down $1200 for this machine.

Quick question though, would I be able to exchange it at the Apple Store? Or should I call apple directly and are what they could do? Thanks
Why not take it back to the campus store where you bought it?

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Well I thought that the apple stores have genius bars in which they can service any Mac no matter where it was purchase?

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
In a sense though, wouldn't I be "servicing" my Mac to get the product I want/should have? Not trying to be difficult here, just wondering.

And I'd like to take it back to the campus store but they charge a mandatory restocking fee.

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
I see. This is so frustrating, don't understand why all machines can't just have the same components. Maybe I'll try giving apple a call.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010

Is there some thing wrong with the screen ?

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Have you actually got a problem with the screen or are you just preconceiving that it's bad?

Well it seems to be the consensus (fact?) that Samsung screens are superior. So if I'm going to own this laptop for a while, I think it's fair to want to own the better product.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
In a sense though, wouldn't I be "servicing" my Mac to get the product I want/should have?

Bill Clinton would be proud of you. "It all depends on what the definition of is is." Lemme guess you are in pre-law, right?

People are amazing. Returning = Servicing.:rolleyes:

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I see. This is so frustrating, don't understand why all machines can't just have the same components. Maybe I'll try giving apple a call.

Have you tried the MacRumors custom color profile? It really makes a huge difference. I was at the Apple Store today to return my MBA (I have an LG display as well) and I set my machine next to one of the Samsung demo units. With the stock color profile I could easily tell that my LG panel was washed out, but with the custom profile I couldn't tell the difference. Truly. I walked out of the store with the same machine.

You can get it here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-...lay-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Bill Clinton would be proud of you. "It all depends on what the definition of is is." Lemme guess you are in pre-law, right?

People are amazing. Returning = Servicing.:rolleyes:

Haha ;) premed actually, but I'll take it as a compliment. Servicing to my needs :)

----------

Have you tried the MacRumors custom color profile? It really makes a huge difference. I was at the Apple Store today to return my MBA (I have an LG display as well) and I set my machine next to one of the Samsung demo units. With the stock color profile I could easily tell that my LG panel was washed out, but with the custom profile I couldn't tell the difference. Truly. I walked out of the store with the same machine.

You can get it here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-...lay-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/

Will using one of these "burn out" my display or make it go bad any faster??

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
No, it won't.

Ok thank you, will try later today :)

And to anyone who is judging me..
I'm sure you understand my concern. I bought this product hoping that it would be a Samsung panel/ssd..but I didn't get what I wanted. If I'm paying $1200 I deserve to have my needs met. I'm not playing the lottery here..I'm buying a laptop! There should be NO chances and no surprises here.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Will using one of these "burn out" my display or make it go bad any faster??

...not at all, it's just a custom color calibration. OSX has several built-in but the default on the LG MBA is just bad. This custom one makes the colors a lot more natural and very similar to the Samsung display. Again, I couldn't tell the difference. I'm not a professional photographer or anything though.

As soon as you select the new profile you'll instantly see the difference. It's pretty silly that Apple doesn't fix the stock calibration.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
No you cannot do this.

Any store has inventory that is managed. A record is kept of all received shipments and that manifest can be used to track lost/stolen or returned items.

Since your MBA was never on a manifest as received from Apple they cannot add your MBA back to inventory.

This is pretty much the case for any company selling through multiple distribution channels.

I understand the frustration about the perception that one model has better components over another but returning good hardware for this reason is why we have to deal with restock fees.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Ok thank you, will try later today :)

And to anyone who is judging me..
I'm sure you understand my concern. I bought this product hoping that it would be a Samsung panel/ssd..but I didn't get what I wanted. If I'm paying $1200 I deserve to have my needs met. I'm not playing the lottery here..I'm buying a laptop! There should be NO chances and no surprises here.

Yet you bought it at a store that you knew charged a restocking fee, even though you knew you would return it if you didn't get your way.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Should've just bought from an Apple Store since they can give education discounts. Better yet bought from Best Buy since they sell for even cheaper (slightly) than education price.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
So what happens if you exchange it and still don't get a samsung ssd & screen? Just keep returning until you do?

Seems a bit tedious to me...just enjoy the new laptop

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Yet you bought it at a store that you knew charged a restocking fee, even though you knew you would return it if you didn't get your way.

I'm loving the passive aggresiveness. I actually didn't know they charged a restocking fee. I only bought it from the campus store because of the good discount :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1Sail0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
...not at all, it's just a custom color calibration. OSX has several built-in but the default on the LG MBA is just bad. This custom one makes the colors a lot more natural and very similar to the Samsung display. Again, I couldn't tell the difference. I'm not a professional photographer or anything though.

As soon as you select the new profile you'll instantly see the difference. It's pretty silly that Apple doesn't fix the stock calibration.

OMGOSH. Thank you so so so much. 1000% better, I doubted how much of a difference I would see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.