Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I have a display arrangement with my macbook screen directly below an external monitor.

I want my menu bar and dock to appear on the external monitor. I know how to move my menu bar in display arrangement system prefs. From searching the web I was led to believe that the dock should follow the menu bar. However, this does not work for me. It seems Lion is forcing me to work with my dock at the bottom of my macbook screen regardless of whether I have the menu bar on the macbook or external screen.

Is this something that has changed in recent versions of OS X?
Are there any 3rd party utilities that can lift this restriction?

-------
EDIT: I should add that when I have my displays arranged horizontally, my dock does follow the menu bar.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I have a similar issue too... I want my MBP to be the 2nd display and I want the menu and dock on my external display, but I can't figure it out either.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
In display prefrences, in the arrange tab, you'll see a little white bar that represents your menubar.

tumblr_m76e8wMs7E1rw02spo1_400.png

drag it to place your menubar onto other monitors.

tumblr_m76e8wMs7E1rw02spo2_500.png

this will also effect the placement of the dock.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
In display prefrences, in the arrange tab, you'll see a little white bar that represents your menubar.

drag it to place your menubar onto other monitors.

this will also effect the placement of the dock.

You have your displays arranged side-by-side.

If you arrange your monitors so that the external display is above the internal one, are you able to get both the menu bar and the dock onto the external display?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009

If you arrange your monitors so that the external display is above the internal one, are you able to get both the menu bar and the dock onto the external display?

You should be able to. Does it work when you tried it?

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I believe the dock is purposely on the lowest display. Because while you can drag a window through/below the menu bar, you can't drag something through the dock.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.

The dock will be on the lowest display. If you move it to the side, you it will stay on the top monitor.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I believe the dock is purposely on the lowest display. Because while you can drag a window through/below the menu bar, you can't drag something through the dock.

Thanks that is what I suspected, but wanted confirmation from someone else.

(I have a dock enhancement app installed on my mac so I was concerned that might be messing around with standard behaviour)

I'd still be interested in knowing if there are any 3rd party utilities that remove the constraint for the dock to be on the lowest display when the displays are arranged one on top of the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.