PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] Is it possible to take a screenshot during OSX boot?

theSeb
Jul 11, 2012, 10:39 AM
I would like to be able to take screenshots of the boot process and the boot menu that comes up when one holds down alt for my own nefarious purposes... yet for the life of me I cannot figure out a way to do this.

Any ideas?

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
I would like to be able to take screenshots of the boot process and the boot menu that comes up when one holds down alt for my own nefarious purposes... yet for the life of me I cannot figure out a way to do this.

Any ideas?
I don't believe that's possible, since the screen shot is a Mac OS X function and Mac OS X isn't fully functional during the boot process.

Edit: Some Googling found this: How to screen capture a startup or a fresh install? - Mac-Forums.com (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/273677-how-screen-capture-startup-fresh-install.html)

theSeb
Jul 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
I don't believe that's possible, since the screen shot is a Mac OS X function and Mac OS X isn't fully functional during the boot process.

Edit: Some Googling found this: How to screen capture a startup or a fresh install? - Mac-Forums.com (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/273677-how-screen-capture-startup-fresh-install.html)

I am already half way there with VMWare Fusion, but Fusion does not show the boot selection menu like OSX does, unfortunately. I can capture the fresh install stuff and I can capture how to use the Recovery HD's reinstall, disk utility, restore from Time Machine etc, but I can't capture the damn boot menu and selecting the Recovery HD itself.

I've even bought a Blackmagic Intensity Thunderbolt to try and do this, but that's another story in itself. :mad:

I wonder if Parallels shows the stuff I am missing?

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
I wonder if Parallels shows the stuff I am missing?
I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot. Of course, there's always the old-fashioned method of using a camera, if all else fails.

theSeb
Jul 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot. Of course, there's always the old-fashioned method of using a camera, if all else fails.

Yes, I may have to resort to this, but it's going to look like rubbish with my non-existent photography skills. :(

Update: Yipeee... I've figured out how to do this with the Blackmagic.