PDA

View Full Version : How many wisdom teeth do/did you have?

stridey
Jul 28, 2005, 09:24 AM
I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow, and was surprised to find that instead of the four I thought I had, I actually have five wisdom teeth. According to the oral surgeon, they see people with anywhere between 0 and eight wisdom teeth! :eek:

So the question is, how many do you have?

Edit: Also, if you've had them out, how old were you at the time? (I'm 19)

mkrishnan
Jul 28, 2005, 09:25 AM
I had four, and they have all gone on to better things. :D

Good luck with your surgery! I hope it is not too painful, and that your recovery is quick! :)

jdechko
Jul 28, 2005, 09:29 AM
I have 0 of 4. Got rid of them things a few years ago. The drugs were fun. The pain wasn't.

jim.
Jul 28, 2005, 09:30 AM
I currently have four. They are being pulled next Friday (I feel I have waited too long to get this done). I hope no more come in.

My uncle had his original four pulled, then four more grew back, and he had to have them pulled again :eek:

Jim

Zman5225
Jul 28, 2005, 09:32 AM
I'm a 0'fer now as well out of 4. Surgery went VERY fast, in fact a lot faster then I thought it would, took em only 45 mins for all 4 including prep time and putting me down!

Only thing I didn't like was the balllloooonn of a face I had afterwards. :eek:

Jack

5300cs
Jul 28, 2005, 09:45 AM
I have 4. Actually I had 4, I have only 1 left. The top left I got pulled here in Japan. Only novocain and a quick pull and it was out (well done.) The top right I had done in the US and it wasn't as much fun: "does this hurt?" "YES" "Ok" <more novocain> "how about this?" I didn't eat breakfast that morning, so when I got out into the waiting room after having it done I turned white and almost passed out. The people in the waiting room were all looking at me :rolleyes: :o
The bottom right one had come in so far that it literally took 2 second of pulling and it was out; barely felt a thing. I was in and out of the hospital in about 20 minutes.
The last one, the bottom right, is going to make itself memorable :mad: I just went to see the orthodontic surgeon on Tuesday and he said it's partially in my jaw bone. They're going to have to cut away some of my jaw bone, chisel the tooth in half then pull both bits separately.
To make things worse, I'm going to Boston next week on Friday so I can't have it done. I'll get it done when I come back (4 days before going back to school) because my favorite surgeon is leaving the hospital at the end of August.
This is going to be a crappy summer vacation :( :( :(

Don't worry stridey, I'm sure you'll be fine. Are you going to be knocked out? If so, you'll sleep through the whole thing :) When you wake up, it's into a cab and on your way home. Then you can sit around watching TV and movies all you like. (I was awake for all mine; in Japan they don't put you to sleep for wisdom teeth. If you need more than 1 pulled, you wait about 2-3 weeks between each one.)

Let us know how it goes!

gwuMACaddict
Jul 28, 2005, 09:59 AM
had 4.

now have 0.

had the operation with just novacane. i hate being sedated, don't like putting chemicals in my body. (other than alcohol ;) )

being awake for the operation was interesting... since it was a friday afternoonl, i decided to wait till monday to get my pain medication filled...

woops!

one of the longest weekends of my life- very very painful without anything to numb the pain. by the time monday rolled around, i didn't end up getting the pain pills anyway...

_bnkr612
Jul 28, 2005, 10:00 AM
All four with room and they are straight! I guess I am four times wiser, brush four times longer, buy toothpaste and floss four times larger...

stridey
Jul 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
~snip
Don't worry stridey, I'm sure you'll be fine. Are you going to be knocked out? If so, you'll sleep through the whole thing :) When you wake up, it's into a cab and on your way home. Then you can sit around watching TV and movies all you like. (I was awake for all mine; in Japan they don't put you to sleep for wisdom teeth. If you need more than 1 pulled, you wait about 2-3 weeks between each one.)

Let us know how it goes!

Yeah, I'll be asleep for the operation, and then my girlfriend will drive me home while I'm all groggy and we'll sit around and watch movies. Apparently none of them are far enough into the gums to cause real problems, so the part I'm most worried about is the needle (I know it's not that much pain. it's the concept of a piece of metal being inserted into my arm that I don't like).

5300cs
Jul 28, 2005, 10:04 AM
one of the longest weekends of my life- very very painful without anything to numb the pain. by the time monday rolled around, i didn't end up getting the pain pills anyway...

Jesus- are you serious? When I had my bottom done I was in real pain. (Japanese pain killers are pretty weak.) I was in such pain that I was in a foul mood and scared some of my students.

5300cs
Jul 28, 2005, 10:10 AM
... the part I'm most worried about is the needle (I know it's not that much pain. it's the concept of a piece of metal being inserted into my arm that I don't like).

I'm not a big fan either. For your gums though, before injecting them they sometimes rub some cream on them that numbs them up. Once that's done you won't really feel much but a pinch.

Eric5h5
Jul 28, 2005, 10:11 AM
I've got four, and they're not going anywhere. (Also, my tonsils and my appendix. Only 100% original parts here.)

--Eric

mkrishnan
Jul 28, 2005, 10:14 AM
Jesus- are you serious? When I had my bottom done I was in real pain. (Japanese pain killers are pretty weak.) I was in such pain that I was in a foul mood and scared some of my students.

Just to cast a vote in the other direction, I was not in much pain, and don't think I took much of the pain medication. Heh. My ride got lost and I ended up walking (<1 mile) home from surgery! :eek: :D

I spit up a little blood later that night, but other than that, it wasn't too bad. I just couldn't eat much for a weekend. I got my wisdom teeth pulled over the Thanksgiving break because I was so busy that year, there was no other time. :rolleyes: Suppose it was good weight loss incentive! :eek: :o

The only painful part of mine was that the local anesthetic was not strong enough on first go, and I could feel the pliers! I mumbled and the dental surgeon understood that it wasn't, and put in more.... :) After that, 'twas fine.

But if you're going under, it shouldn't be an issue for you.

gwuMACaddict
Jul 28, 2005, 10:25 AM

yes, serious... it was a lesson in pain threshold...

i reccomend getting the perscription filled AHEAD of time if possible... have the pills ready to go...

yellow
Jul 28, 2005, 10:26 AM
I still have all of them in my head. I'm so wise.

stridey
Jul 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
I've got four, and they're not going anywhere. (Also, my tonsils and my appendix. Only 100% original parts here.)

--Eric

I actually thought I was going to be able to keep mine, until part of one sheered off right as anakin went gonzo on the paduans. Then they said "nevermind, we changed our minds, all four have to go." It wasn't until later that I found out I had a fifth.

emw
Jul 28, 2005, 10:35 AM
All four of mine were pulled in a fairly pain-free manner (I was under anesthetics). My dad apparently had 6.

atszyman
Jul 28, 2005, 10:42 AM
Had four, got them pulled a decade ago. Wife had 2 pulled and will soon have the other 2 pulled. For awhile they were telling her she still had three but now they're pretty sure it's just the two.

clayj
Jul 28, 2005, 11:09 AM
I had TWO, uppers only (no lowers). Having them out when the time came was quite easy... the oral surgeon just shot me full of novocaine and pulled them out (the second one he had to shatter in place and then extract the pieces). Jammed my cheeks full of cotton and told me to take Tylenol if it hurt. My contribution after insurance was a mere $10. I was back at work the following Monday (I had it done on a Friday afternoon).

My sister had all FOUR, and she had to have the gas, the whole nine yards. She was at home recovering for a few days, with the full course of painkillers.

Mr. Durden
Jul 28, 2005, 11:20 AM
0 for 4. Got really tore up on the drugs though, so that was nice. ;)

EJBasile
Jul 28, 2005, 11:31 AM
I had 3. All of them were removed.

ham_man
Jul 28, 2005, 11:34 AM
Ummm...no clue really...4 I suppose. Here in a couple of years I will need to have them removed, so that number will become to 0...

rainman::|:|
Jul 28, 2005, 12:00 PM
had four, removed them. well, not myself of course, an oral surgeon. my teeth are terribly weak, so predictably, they started breaking apart, so it took a while. the dry socket was a bitch, it took months for the gums to finally fill in right. told them i wouldn't stop smoking :rolleyes: had to be at work the next day, which was a bitch. of course this is the place that "had an emergency" and made me come back to work an hour after a botched root canal... i was not pleasant that afternoon.

Jaffa Cake
Jul 28, 2005, 12:13 PM
I developed four and I still have all of them and I have to say they all came through without any problems or complications. I suppose I must just have a big mouth. :D

~Shard~
Jul 28, 2005, 12:19 PM
I had 4 and they are all gone now! My friend had 6 whch all needed to be removed (ouch!) and another friend, after having his 4 removed, had 2 of them grow back! (Essentially he had 6, but 2 were underneath another set.)

iSaint
Jul 28, 2005, 12:21 PM
One pulled (I mean PULLED, he pulled me out of the chair) 20 years ago , then three others cut out a few weeks later. Good anesthesia and drugs, slept for two days after.

Lacero
Jul 28, 2005, 12:24 PM
I think having your wisdom teeth removed would be what some would call "unnatural". That being said, I still have all of my wisdom teeth.

Eevee
Jul 28, 2005, 12:28 PM
Had all four removed (bottom ones were PAINFUL!!! top ones were a piece of cake). Mmm..cake... :D

iBlue
Jul 28, 2005, 12:31 PM
I had 4 - all of them were "full bone impaction" and it was not pretty what they do to get those out. I insisted on general anesthesia though so I fell asleep and woke up missing 4 unruly teeth. they were going to screw up my other teeth, they had to go.

it was sort of gross, the recovery but not altogether as bad as people kept telling me. I hate when people need to air their horror stories to freak you out. :rolleyes:
I took my pain pills (demerol) and ate my stupid baby food and pudding and I was fine.
I don't miss them and I don't feel any less wise ;)

good luck! :)

P.S. my husband only had 3 - he is more "evolved" than I am I guess :D

rainman::|:|
Jul 28, 2005, 12:36 PM
I think having your wisdom teeth removed would be what some would call "unnatural". That being said, I still have all of my wisdom teeth.

Unfortunately, "natural" in this case often means having your teeth fall apart by age 30 because of overcrowding... to be honest, nature did a poor job designing the teeth, or we just have very unnatural eating habits. Once you've had an impacted wisdom tooth, you learn the value of oral surgery :)

iBlue
Jul 28, 2005, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, "natural" in this case often means having your teeth fall apart by age 30 because of overcrowding... to be honest, nature did a poor job designing the teeth, or we just have very unnatural eating habits. Once you've had an impacted wisdom tooth, you learn the value of oral surgery :)

precisely why I casually mentioned evolution.

there was a purpose for wisdom teeth back in neanderthal days, but now it's just a slow process for us to "outgrow" natures's bad habit. some things are slow to evolve... like you'd think a deer would learn to move away from the flippin headlights.... :p (Darwin? oh Darwin?) we don't need our third molars anymore and they cause more trouble than they are worth most of the time, I'm glad there are oral surgeons to correct our modern flaw with this.

redeye be
Jul 28, 2005, 12:46 PM
4, and there to stay
:D, see? ;)

iBlue
Jul 28, 2005, 12:59 PM
4, and there to stay
:D, see? ;)

OK this one made me laugh out loud :D "I'll bite" :p hahaha (oh the puns that could be made of that one too)

~Shard~
Jul 28, 2005, 12:59 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

Jovian9
Jul 28, 2005, 01:31 PM
I have 3. I only had to have one removed about 10 years ago. The others grew in fine and have given me no trouble.

clayj
Jul 28, 2005, 01:36 PM
precisely why I casually mentioned evolution.

there was a purpose for wisdom teeth back in neanderthal days, but now it's just a slow process for us to "outgrow" natures's bad habit. some things are slow to evolve... like you'd think a deer would learn to move away from the flippin headlights.... :p (Darwin? oh Darwin?) we don't need our third molars anymore and they cause more trouble than they are worth most of the time, I'm glad there are oral surgeons to correct our modern flaw with this.I guess I'm more evolved than most of you, since I only ever had 2 wisdom teeth. :)

wdlove
Jul 28, 2005, 01:46 PM
I just had four wisdom teeth. Had them extracted when I was a freshman in college. It was done on a Saturday. Then back to class on Monday. It was done with sodium pentathol (general anesthesia) in the oral surgeon's office. No swelling or much pain.

I wish you success also stridey. Please let us know how it goes.

stridey
Jul 28, 2005, 01:54 PM
I just had four wisdom teeth. Had them extracted when I was a freshman in college. It was done on a Saturday. Then back to class on Monday. It was done with sodium pentathol (general anesthesia) in the oral surgeon's office. No swelling or much pain.

I wish you success also stridey. Please let us know how it goes.

Will do.

While we're at it, what age were all of you when you had them removed (if you had them removed)?

Mavimao
Jul 28, 2005, 02:19 PM
I had all 4 of mine pulled when I was 17 (I'm 23 now). I was put under sedation so I don't remember much. I know that my teeth were under the gumline so they had to cut them out and stitch me up.

I woke up spitting out blood and high from all the drugs.

The worst part were those stitches in your mouth. You couldn't help but tongue them all the time, and once I got spaghetti carbonara stuck in them which caused a lot of pain.

I still have my teeth in a little tube the hospital gave me.

SpaceMagic
Jul 28, 2005, 02:19 PM
I got mine when I was 12, my dentist said i was one of the youngest she's seen with all 4 out. They're still there and hopefully wont cause me problems. I'm 18 now, btw.

dubbz
Jul 28, 2005, 02:33 PM
I have no idea how many wisdom teeth I have, if any. And if I have any, then they certainly haven't caused any problems.

(I'm 23)

gco212
Jul 28, 2005, 02:43 PM
I was born with just 1, and still have it. I don't think I'm going to need it pulled, though I don't really know.

Counterfit
Jul 28, 2005, 02:58 PM
I have 4, and they were supposed to all be pulled. But then I went to the dentist again (either just after or just before I got my braces off) and he said he'd keep an eye on them. I guess they're fully in now, even though the bottom right is a little tilted towards the front. I guess my jaw is better laid out then most of yours (previous crowding notwithstanding ;)) :D

diddy
Jul 28, 2005, 04:55 PM
I got mine out when I was 19, and I had 4 that needed to go.

I dont remember this really, but my mom said that after I woke up and the nurse was helping me walk to the waiting room, I threw her arms off of me and yelled, I mean really shouted, "I dont need your help! I've been more ********d up than this!"

Good luck with everything, and watch out for dry sockets. They hurt.

pivo6
Jul 28, 2005, 05:38 PM
Had 3 that were taken out last year at age 38, which I guess is considered old for this type of surgery. They put me out since they had to cut them out of my gums. The cool thing that I found out later was that the oral surgeon was a member of the 1980 Gold Medal US Olympic Hockey Team, Bill Baker.

I'm just glad he didn't use a hockey stick to knock them out. ;)

pubwvj
Jul 28, 2005, 05:42 PM
I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow, and was surprised to find that instead of the four I thought I had, I actually have five wisdom teeth. According to the oral surgeon, they see people with anywhere between 0 and eight wisdom teeth! :eek:

Zero. I had them pulled when I was nineteen. For a real thrill do it without the novacaine. :)

18thTomorrow
Jul 28, 2005, 06:02 PM
i have all four and don't plan on getting them pulled unless they begin to cause me problems.

Leave well enough alone is my feeling...I've heard too many painful horror stories.

Apple Hobo
Jul 28, 2005, 06:09 PM
I had all four of mine removed at age 18. I also took anti-inflammation pills (I think it was Prednisone) about a week before the procedure. I was given a mind-blowing mixture of Valium and Demerol via IV. Recovery was a breeze--almost painless.

You should sleep with a towel on your pillow for a few nights; you will drool and bleed all over your pillow, so cover it.

Benjamin
Jul 28, 2005, 06:11 PM
I had 2 and 1 impacted tooth. All three got removed when I was 15.

r6girl
Jul 28, 2005, 07:12 PM
i have 0 of 4 now. had them removed when i was 18 or so. they were all impacted and had to be broken into small pieces to be removed. the orthodontist who removed them whistled while he worked, and i remember the cracking sound as he broke them, and he remarked that i had "such big teeth for a little girl." i don't think that was a compliment. :eek:

after that, tylenol with codeine was my friend for 24 hours. and what a wonderful friend it was. :D

marianne

iBlue
Jul 28, 2005, 07:32 PM
to answer the recent question: I was 18 or 19 when they were extracted.

5300cs
Jul 28, 2005, 08:07 PM
I was 24 for the first 2 (top) and 25 for the bottom. I'm now 29. (Older than everyone else :eek: )

homerjward
Jul 28, 2005, 08:28 PM
im not sure if i have, or will have (im only 15 now) any wisdom teeth. both my parents had 4, but i dont know if it's hereditary or anything. i did have 6 teeth extracted when i got my braces and hurt like hell lol, but i have a pretty low tolerance for pain :rolleyes:

applekid
Jul 28, 2005, 09:13 PM
How ironic! I just got my four wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. I am currently 17 years old.

I think I recovered pretty quickly. I was fine at about 8 PM last night. I mean "fine" as in I was able to get up, walk around, and didn't feel yucky.

I'm on antibiotics and painkillers. They make me feel nauseous and that's really the only bad part so far. The pain is more of an annoyance than hurtful. The medicine makes you stay lying down for a couple of hours so you don't hurl, but you feel better after a quick break from whatever you're doing (in my case, I'm just gaming).

So, for those interested about how wisdom teeth removal is these days...

I walked into the operation room and took a seat. A nurse came in, checked my blood pressure and put a pulse checking thingy on my finger. My doctor came in. He stuck the IV needle in me and hooked me up to gas through my nose. Then, he said I'd feel warm and fuzzy. I blacked out then.

I wake up shivering and cold. My eyes are still closed, and someone says to toss blanket on me. Then, I open my eyes. Another nurse comes in, walks me (as I stumble) to another room to lie down to regain my balance. I wasn't in pain then. Then, I was assisted to my sister's car.

My sister and mom dropped me off at home. They went to get my meds from the pharmacy, while I had to stay awake. I amused myself with my iPod and GameBoy for that time. They came home, I took some meds, and went to sleep. Woke up for some Jell-O and milkshake, then went back to sleep. I woke up again at 8 PM and jumped out of bed full of energy with incisions in pain. Most of the day I had gauze in my mouth and was bleeding. I went back to sleep without gauze.

Woke up this morning, had some cream of chicken soup, and washed my mouth out with salt water. Gonna have to do that for a while and take my not-so-friendly meds.

Wisdom teeth aren't too bad when you remove them early.

Nanda Devi
Jul 28, 2005, 09:35 PM
I've always had a great fear of getting my wisdom teeth pulled (I hate going to the dentist even just for a cleaning)...

Which is why I was very pleased to discover a few years ago that I was actually born without any wisdom teeth at all! :D

I may be something of a freak, but in this situation I'd say it's a good thing! :)

ravenvii
Jul 28, 2005, 09:56 PM
I had four. Two was impacted, the other two was fine. Still had to have all four removed. Had them removed when I was 20.

AliensAreFuzzy
Jul 28, 2005, 10:19 PM
I've got 4 that are coming in. 3 are erupted, one partially. My dad scheduled my surgery for the second day of school. I'm so lucky :rolleyes: . I think I may only need the two bottom teeth removed, but I'm not sure yet. I'm 17

sushi
Jul 28, 2005, 10:41 PM
I was born with just 1, and still have it. I don't think I'm going to need it pulled, though I don't really know.
Same here. Just had one.

It was during flight school. I was at the dentist office (military) for a filling on each side. They took 2 X-ray's (1 on each side). The X-Rays showed I had only one.

I convinced her to remove the one wisdom tooth while I was there.

When I got home my roommate asked what happened to you. I told him that I went for a filling and the dentist pulled my wisdom tooth. He freaked out a bit because he was scheduled the next day.

In my case, they had to do a little surgery, but nothing major. Bleed a bit.

...always wondered what happened to the other 3...

Sushi

rkristich
Jul 28, 2005, 11:06 PM
I had 4 removed about back in Febuary when I was 16. I had the IV sedative, and about a minute after they pushed the sedative, I was out. The nurse was the one who hooked up the IV, my only memory of the surgeon was hearing her say something about giving me the sedative now and feeling her put some spacers in my mouth. Oh, and they gave me nitrous oxide (laughing gas), but I didn't really feel all that different when I had it. I barely remember the ride home, but after that I was fine. I was on some strong painkiller, not Vicoden, but something similar. Luckily, I have high pain tolerance and react well to prescription painkillers, so I wasn't out of it or anything. I had them taken out on a Friday and was back at school Monday. My face wasn't even swollen anymore then. And getting the stitches out was really easy too, it only took about 2 minutes and didn't hurt at all. Really, for me the worst thing about getting my wisdom teeth out was the fact that I was pretty much resticted to eating three foods: Soup, mashed potatoes, and ice cream. I had to eat so many mashed potatoes that just the thought of them makes me feel sick.

Here's some tips:

Your surgeon should give you a prescription for antibiotics (I had penicillin). Make sure you take the full course, or you're likely to get an infection. You may also have to take steroids (I had to take prednisone), again make sure you take the full course. And if any of your lymph nodes become tender, make sure to call your oral surgeon; it could be a sign of infection.

Only take the pain killers for as long as you absolutly need them. The sooner you're off them, the better.

Keep an ice pack on your face for a few days. It really helps to reduce the swelling, and it helps with pain too.

And just remember, everyone reacts to pain and medications differently. All my friends have had their wisdom teeth out too, and every single person had a different experience, so there's really no telling how you'll be for the few days after the surgery.

Good luck, and make sure to post and let everyone know how it was!

stridey
Aug 1, 2005, 10:00 AM
Well, all five were removed successfully. I got laughing gas, then the IV, and am now on Oxycodone. I had them out on Friday morning, and by now the swelling has mostly gone down. I found out that one of the foods I can eat without problem is sushi, so I've been dropping large bills on expensive meals in the name of health :D

The only worrying part was that I bled for quite a while. My girlfriend brought me, and on our way home we stopped into WalMart to buy some viewing material (4th season of Buffy). It was fun flashing my bloody smile at shocked shoppers. I'm a bad person. :cool: :D

~Shard~
Aug 1, 2005, 11:19 AM
My girlfriend brought me, and on our way home we stopped into WalMart to buy some viewing material (4th season of Buffy). It was fun flashing my bloody smile at shocked shoppers. I'm a bad person. :cool: :D

And even more amusing that you were buying "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" at the time! ;) :cool:

FoxyKaye
Aug 1, 2005, 12:06 PM
All four - seems like everyone in my family has them on both my mother and father's side. Mom's had two removed, my dad kept all of his, and so far I've been successful in keeping all four of mine as well.

Ugg
Aug 1, 2005, 04:23 PM
I was 24 when I had all four removed. Just novocaine, I can't stand painkillers. I was in and out of the office in 25 minutes. The doc pulled all four in 1 minute 45 seconds. I was watching the clock!

I didn't take any painkillers afterwards just antibiotics. Everthing was healed up in 5 or 6 days. No swelling or anything.

Dale Sorel
Aug 1, 2005, 08:03 PM
I had four... got rid of them all at the same time with local, rather than general anesthesia. Ouch :eek:

njmac
Aug 1, 2005, 08:22 PM
I just used a local too. I was 28, and had the bottom 2 removed at the same time, then a month later I had the top 2 removed.

No big deal.

mgargan1
Aug 2, 2005, 02:50 PM
I have one coming in as we type...

5300cs
Sep 13, 2005, 07:09 AM
Time to rehash this old thread as it's time for my last one to come out :(

I couldn't go during vacation, and after vacation when I called the hospital said all the dentists were still on vacation :rolleyes: (*sigh* welcome to Japan.) Finally 2 weekends ago I started feeling "icky" and though, this is going to end now. Had X rays taken and the doctor said they'd have to be careful not to touch the nerve in my jaw :rolleyes: Wonderful.

I'm going in on Friday (taking the afternoon off) to have it done, and I have to admit I'm REALLY nervous about it. My gums will be cut, my jaw bone cut a little, the tooth then cut in half, and then both pieces removed. Thinking about it makes me sick ...

iGary
Sep 13, 2005, 07:13 AM
I had 4, all semi-impacted, all removed before they broke through the gum.

Ouch.

DeSnousa
Sep 13, 2005, 07:13 AM
Well i believe i have 6 at the moment and since this thread have a felling that i might have 8, as on the upper part of the mouth my gums fell rigid. Im 17 too, so it might happen :confused:

shadowmoses
Sep 13, 2005, 08:51 AM
I got 2 impacted at the moment and they need to come out soon, probably in the next few weeks, i just have to book my appointment...

My top two ar evisible via an X-Ray but they are not impacted, so i wont be removing them for now,

ShadoW

Bote
Sep 13, 2005, 09:15 AM
I got all 4 removed when I was 19. It was quick and fairly painless. A word of advice, never take your pain medication with a tall glass of Fruit Punch and Vodka. The things that seem like a good idea at the time usually arent!!! :rolleyes:

puckhead193
Sep 13, 2005, 10:10 AM
I have 2 growing in now, i went to the dentist and he said that they are growing in straight so their is no need to remove them.. :)

MattG
Sep 13, 2005, 10:20 AM
I had four and had all four pulled at the same time several years ago. No big deal.

Lord Blackadder
Sep 13, 2005, 10:26 AM
I had 4, one was mildly impacted. All were removed when I was 22.

I was on Percocet for a few days, and I hated it.

mac-er
Sep 13, 2005, 11:00 AM
I must be a more evolved being... :D

None. You can see the buds on x-rays, but they never developed.

plinden
Sep 13, 2005, 11:27 AM
Wow, how did I miss a thread on wisdom teeth two weeks ago?

At 40, I still have all three of mine that grew. No pain, no need to get them pulled. But I have a long narrow jaw so plenty of room.

mad jew
Sep 13, 2005, 11:30 AM
I still have all of mine but I must get them out. They really really hurt every few months or so. Meh, I may be doing dentistry next year so maybe I'll just take them out myself. Where'd I leave that hammer...

njstaffer
Sep 13, 2005, 12:03 PM
I have 4 wisdom teeth and will have them for the rest of my life.

Didn't need them pulled :) ...anybody know what percentage of people actually their wisdom teeth? :confused:

dcv
Sep 13, 2005, 12:04 PM
whoa spooky - i went for a dental check-up just today!

i have my top two. bottom left not there yet and bottom right is sort of poking through slightly.

i was a bit naughty as hadn't been to the dentist in like 5 years(!!) but apparently all is very well and i have excellent oral hygiene :)

- gold star for me please -

neildmitchell
Sep 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
Still have all 4, no dental or other health ins.

wkw
Sep 13, 2005, 02:33 PM
I had four wisdom teeth. They were all pulled out the same afternoon by a rather merciless Navy dentist when I was in the Marines. All of my teeth had bent roots and had to be split to get them out. At least he was nice enough to give me some novacaine. I spit blood for a couple of days after that. At least I didn't have to pay for it.

dubbz
Feb 22, 2006, 01:31 PM
Have had two of my wisdom teeth pulled now. My dentist was worried that she'd break it in two and that I had to operate them out (roots were also bent a bit)... but the first appointment only took 10-15 minutes. Two x-ray shots included. Went back a week later and had the second tooth pulled. Took 5 minutes.

She wrote a prescription for some painkillers, but the pain never went above "moderately irritating", so I never used it.

Considering I was expecting some painful, bloody mess, I'd say it went well :p

stridey
Feb 22, 2006, 01:55 PM
Have had two of my wisdom teeth pulled now. My dentist was worried that she'd break it in two and that I had to operate them out (roots were also bent a bit)... but the first appointment only took 10-15 minutes. Two x-ray shots included. Went back a week later and had the second tooth pulled. Took 5 minutes.

She wrote a prescription for some painkillers, but the pain never went above "moderately irritating", so I never used it.

Considering I was expecting some painful, bloody mess, I'd say it went well :p

Wow, sounds like you got off pretty easy! :D Too lazy to read backlog; were those the only ones you had, or are you going to be able to keep the remaining teeth?

stonyc
Feb 22, 2006, 01:59 PM
Had four, all pulled out a few years ago. All four were impacted (coming in under the back molars) and I had general anesthesia. I wasn't fully under when the tugging started because I can distinctly remember the sensation of being roughly jostled. ;) Fortunately, that didn't last long.

evilgEEk
Feb 22, 2006, 02:10 PM
I still have my bottom two wisdom teeth. My bottom jaw had shifted forward over time so my top wisdom teeth weren't meeting with my bottom, so they yanked em out since they were just sitting there being of absolutely no use to anyone. I just had local anesthesia, it wasn't a big deal because they were normal.

Although I did pass out when I got the bill, literally. Gave them my debit card and the next thing I remembered was being helped up by the dentist. Just imagine what would have happened if I didn't have insurance!! :eek:

floriflee
Feb 22, 2006, 02:13 PM
I had four, but got them out about six years ago when the orthodontist said that they could start undoing all the nice work he'd done to my teeth. :D

Funny thing was that my mom was the one that took me to the oral surgeon to have them removed. Apparently, the surgeon told us *both* after the surgery was done (and I was all still very much drugged up) about the pain killers. My mom apparently thought I was coherent enough to remember it, and didn't tell me about them when I later came to after she got me home and I slept for a while. The pain didn't get above annoyance level until about 2 a.m. when it really started to hurt. I took the prescription-strength ibuprophen that I'd gotten a few days before the surgery to no avail. I tried to wait it out by going downstairs and watching a PGA golf tournament. My mom came down at about 5 or 6 a.m. and asked me why I hadn't taken any pain killers when I told her what was wrong.

"Painkillers?! I have painkillers?!"
"Oops....." :o

dubbz
Feb 22, 2006, 03:37 PM
Wow, sounds like you got off pretty easy! :D Too lazy to read backlog; were those the only ones you had, or are you going to be able to keep the remaining teeth?

No, I won't be able to keep my remaining teeth. They'll pull 'em all next week. Currently browsing through a selection of Dentures :(

http://www.bda.org/smile/images/dentures.jpg

Nah, just kidding. :D As far as I know, those two were the only ones that had to be removed. The rest are safe ;)

sprstu
Feb 22, 2006, 04:41 PM
im 22, and have yet to see any signs of wisdom teeth in my head. The detist i moved to here in madison actually thought that they had been removed, and almost didnt believe me when I told her that they have yet to grow. she said that I will most likly not have them now, or ever. good thing too, as I do not have enough room for the teeth I have now.

5300cs
Feb 24, 2006, 12:32 AM
I had my last one done in September last year. It took over 90 minutes to finish and the pain lasted a week.

The dentist used some drill I had never seen nor heard before. It made a sound like those machines used in auto body shops to remove paint or rust. After that there was a lot of pulling and finally it was done, after breaking the tooth into three pieces. It's currently in my desk drawer ;)

The pain was really bad for a week since my gums had to be cut to access the tooth. My cheek swelled and I couldn't open my mouth all the way for about a month afterward, but eventually it healed.

One great thing about getting it done here, was under the Japanese National Health Insurance plan, the whole thing will pills and all that, cost me $20.

I've been a fan of pudding ever since :D

kretzy
Feb 24, 2006, 12:37 AM
I had all four of mine out mid last year. They were starting to impact and get achy. I went under a general anesthetic, there was no way I was having them pulled out while I was awake.

iRachel
Feb 24, 2006, 12:44 AM
I had 4, had them all pulled when I was 13. No anesthesia - just novicaine. Didn't need any painkillers.

Wow - I was a lot tougher then than I am now :o

MacRumoron
Feb 24, 2006, 12:47 AM
had 4 taken out with anesthesia even though im man enough to do it w/o it :cool:

mrichmon
Feb 24, 2006, 12:52 AM

Had 6... two lower and 4 upper. Had them all pulled at once by a facial surgeon after my dentist at the time said that he "didn't know how he would get to the 2 extra ones on the upper arch".

The very definition of fear... sitting in a dentist chair as the dentist is uncertain out loud to his collegue about what he can do! :)

sarae
Feb 24, 2006, 02:28 AM
I had four, got 'em taken out before they started crowding the rest of my teeth too much.

A former roommate of mine had six, but didn't realize it til the four bottom ones all started coming in at the same time... she was in some pain til she could get to the dentist.

mouchoir
Feb 24, 2006, 04:05 AM
Two out (bottom ones) Two in (top ones).

Had them out one week after another with a local anthesthetic.

When the dentist was pulling the second out he snapped it in half.

That upset me slightly

It felt like he had placed his foot on my head and was using his whole bodyweight to pull the thing out.

Didn't hurt at all mind you, was just a very odd and uncomfortable feeling...

:eek:

floriflee
Feb 24, 2006, 08:40 AM
Two out (bottom ones) Two in (top ones).

Had them out one week after another with a local anthesthetic.

When the dentist was pulling the second out he snapped it in half.

That upset me slightly

It felt like he had placed his foot on my head and was using his whole bodyweight to pull the thing out.

Didn't hurt at all mind you, was just a very odd and uncomfortable feeling...

:eek:

That is why I would recommend going to an oral surgeon rather than a dentist... much more skilled in this sort of thing. They mess up they send you to the surgeon anyway so why not just skip the potential middleman?

ITASOR
Feb 24, 2006, 10:25 AM
I don't have any, and on my x-rays/orthodontist images, they say there aren't any in me.

Seasought
Feb 24, 2006, 10:35 AM

I have two still, they have yet to be removed. I am also a proud carnivore who prefers meat rare, possess a widow's peak and prominent incisors. I'm just one step away from evolutionary primality. :D

nbs2
Feb 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
I had four. Then one started to erupt, but it wasn't a big deal. It became a big deal one week before my wedding. It go infected and hurt like no other. And, I didn't have insurance. But, my fiance did. So, I went to a dentist and paid $50(!) for her to tell me it was infected and get a Rx. I ened up going to an oral surgeon about a week after the wedding (a couple days after the honeymoon) and maxed out our dental insurance :)

The most irritating part? When I was 19, my dentist told me that I was "dentally retarded" and didn't neet to worry about the teeth ever coming in.

FSUSem1noles
Feb 24, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm proud to say, I still have both of my wisdom teeth..

*scurries to find wood to knock on*

heels98
Feb 24, 2006, 11:06 AM
Somehow, I was born without ANY wisdom teeth. Pretty lucky, I know. But so was my mom, as she didn't have any either.

macartistkel
Feb 24, 2006, 11:19 AM
All of mine were impacted and they were taken out when I was 14---isn't that the standard anyway??---I would be shocked if someone told me they still had their wisdom teeth.

The only bad thing that happened to me was 3 weeks later after the surgery half of my face swelled when I was on vacation at the beach because of an infection underneath the healing process. That was the only pain (and it was terrible) that I went through.

I swear my sister's face looked like E.T. when she got hers out----it swelled and distorted her whole face for like a week! :D

rickvanr
Feb 24, 2006, 03:32 PM
I have all four. They started coming in about a year and a half ago. No problems yet. My dentist says they might not cause a problem.

~Shard~
Feb 24, 2006, 03:35 PM
Had four, they were all taken out when I was 19 or so. Still smart, so no after effects. :cool: