Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
LA
I have a iMac 15" G4 800 (very early model).
Apple says the max ram is 1 gig. split betwween the 2 slots.
I wondered if I can put a i gig stick in the user accessible slot.
I did that on my PowerBook 12", even though the the Apple specs said 640 meg was the max, and it works great.
Has anyone tried this.
Thanks.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I asked a similar question a couple months ago - feel free to read through the thread. It ultimately depends on your logic board (you can put in a 1 GB or 2 GB stick but your system may not recognize it), but I think you might be able to have more than 1 GB in your machine. Grab Mactracker to check out your specific system to make sure. :cool:

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
It uses PC/133 notebook RAM, and I'm almost positive that there never was any 1 GB DIMM's of PC/133 in the notebook size. 512 is the highest made.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Sigh. Been there, answered that.

The PC133 iMac G4 supports 512 in the user accessible SODIMM socket and 512 in the interior DIMM socket.

If there were PC133 Non-ECC low profile 1 Gb SODIMMs (which there are NOT) then the frippin' thing wouldn't work anyways because the memory controller can't count that high.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
If there were PC133 Non-ECC low profile 1 Gb SODIMMs (which there are NOT) then the frippin' thing wouldn't work anyways because the memory controller can't count that high.

Ah, so I was right then, the hardware wouldn't recognize it - thought that might be the case, as I didn't think that older G4 iMac had PC2700 RAM like my G4 iMac... Thanks for the confirmation CanadaRAM! Do you ever get tired of answering the same questions over and over? ;)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
~Shard~ said:
Ah, so I was right then, the hardware wouldn't recognize it - thought that might be the case, as I didn't think that older G4 iMac had PC2700 RAM like my G4 iMac... Thanks for the confirmation CanadaRAM! Do you ever get tired of answering the same questions over and over? ;)
Not hardly.... :rolleyes:

joecig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
LA
Thank You

Thank for answering so quickly, after I posted I looked around for a 1 gig PC 133 stick and couldn't find any, so I figuered it wasn't possible.
Sorry for not doing the research first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.