PDA

View Full Version : ibook slow opening websites?

MUCKYFINGERS
Jul 28, 2005, 02:31 PM
I noticed sometimes my new updated 14" ibook (512 mb ram) takes a long time to open simple websites like google and gmail and apple.com. i have to hit stop and refresh, and then they open up quickly. is this a common thing or is my ibook defective in a way?

manco
Jul 28, 2005, 02:37 PM
You should check your internet connection, your router, which browser are you using?

MUCKYFINGERS
Jul 28, 2005, 02:43 PM
You should check your internet connection, your router, which browser are you using?

Safari.

ITASOR
Jul 28, 2005, 04:02 PM
Slow compared to what? To IE on a PC, yes it is slower. Are you comparing it to a PC or another Mac?

stridey
Jul 28, 2005, 04:04 PM
Your iBook is not the problem. The problem is either your network or your browser (a lot of people report Safari being very slow)

IJ Reilly
Jul 28, 2005, 05:50 PM
I'm seeing this problem a lot lately too. I think it's too easy to blame Safari, which works just fine most of the time. I've also seen connect times to smtp servers taking as long as ten seconds. I had my ISP look into this but to no avail. Oddly enough, I don't see these effects with Airport connections, which theoretically should be slower. I only see it on the wired Ethernet side of the router. Can anybody figure that?

ADSL, 10.3.9, Snow Base Station.

Jigglelicious
Jul 28, 2005, 07:49 PM
Sounds more like an issue with your internet provider rather than Safari or your iBook.

Artful Dodger
Jul 28, 2005, 08:33 PM
During prime hours Apple.com does take a long time to open but that is the only site that takes its time for me even using Firefox.

MUCKYFINGERS
Jul 28, 2005, 09:04 PM
During prime hours Apple.com does take a long time to open but that is the only site that takes its time for me even using Firefox.

Macrumors takes awhile for me sometimes. It's mainly google.com, apple.com, and macrumors.com

spinne1
Jul 28, 2005, 09:22 PM
Try this:

http://www.scifience.net/