Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
I am running iOS 6 beta 3 on my device and read where some have tried different methods to try and get the whole unifying phone number and apple ID thing to receive iMessage on all devices as well as the other features that come along with it. I have Lion on my MBP and the beta iMessage for Mac. I read where someone tried turning iMessage completely off and logging out on all his devices and then logged back in one by one and got it to work. I tried this with no positive result. iMessage on my Mac still shows only coming from my Apple ID associated email address and not my phone number so those who receive it receive messages in a completely separate conversation. I am attributing my troubles to the fact that I am using the beta iMessage for Mac but I now have a interesting issue on my iPhone 4S.

When I tried to reactivate iMessage on my iPhone it came back asked for my password, which I entered correctly, and it seems to be working, however it still says "waiting for activation."
27cd6445-1.jpg

Also under "Send & Receive" it shows only my apple ID email address and when I tap on it, it shows both the email address and my phone number but there is only a check mark next to the email address and not my phone number and won't let me check mark the phone number as well. Which I find odd since under a similar menu in the FaceTime settings both are check marked.
a537b150-1.jpg

So does this mean my phone is only sending iMessages out using my Apple ID email address? Or is my number not checked marked since it is coming from my iPhone and it is already defaulted to send using the number and it just check marks the email address I want to use for iMessage?

Again like I said before the only reasons I am puzzled by this is because under FaceTime settings both are check marked and it is still says "waiting on activation."

Update: I used my Mom's iPhone and just deleted my contact and conversation out of her phone and tried sending a message to her phone from my phone and it showed it coming from my Apple ID email and not my phone number!

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Give it time, I tried the same thing today and had the same issues, could no longer select my phone number and iMessages was sending from email instead of phone number. I reset my phone a couple of times, and then after about an hour it changed back and worked like normal, then my number came up on my iPad as well.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Well I just screwed myself. I thought I would just revert back to Beta 2 and restore from the update I made that would keep iMessage settings as they were. Well I am a but not in a paid program yet I just installed iOS 6 through the backdoor way that has been discovered to install iOS 6 on a non-developer device. Well turns out once a beta become old and there is a new beta out then it will not longer let you install the old beta on a non-developer device. So my backup is no good. I do have my most recent backup from 5.1.1 so I am not totally lost but any data I had built up over the past 15 days is gone but that really is just my text messages.

So now if I want to go back to iOS 6 I need to find the ipsw file for Beta 3 and reinstall.

Thats what I get for being impatient.

Now I just need to find the Beta 3 ipsw which doesn't seem to have been leaked for download yet. If anyone knows where I can get it let me know.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Well I just screwed myself. I thought I would just revert back to Beta 2 and restore from the update I made that would keep iMessage settings as they were. Well I am a but not in a paid program yet I just installed iOS 6 through the backdoor way that has been discovered to install iOS 6 on a non-developer device. Well turns out once a beta become old and there is a new beta out then it will not longer let you install the old beta on a non-developer device. So my backup is no good. I do have my most recent backup from 5.1.1 so I am not totally lost but any data I had built up over the past 15 days is gone but that really is just my text messages.

So now if I want to go back to iOS 6 I need to find the ipsw file for Beta 3 and reinstall.

Thats what I get for being impatient.

Now I just need to find the Beta 3 ipsw which doesn't seem to have been leaked for download yet. If anyone knows where I can get it let me know.

All you had to do was a reset of network settings, just fixed mine that way.

r98266

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
Apple support page -- iOS Troubleshooting Messages

iMessage registration validates your Apple ID for use with iMessage. If you are unable to activate iMessage, try the following:

[...] . If you encounter issues registering or using an Apple ID account:

*Ensure you have an active Internet connection.

*Verify that you are using a valid Apple ID at myinfo.apple.com. You can also create an Apple ID or reset your password from this webpage.

*Ensure that your date, time, and time zone are set correctly. If your country has recently made a daylight saving time (DST) change, it may be necessary to manually set the time zone to one that matches your local time.

*Check that your email address is verified in Settings > Messages > Receive At.
******If Settings > Messages > Receive At shows your email status as "verifying," follow the instructions in the verification email that was sent to complete the process.
******Toggle iMessage off and on in Settings > Messages.

*iPhone automatically registers your phone number for use with iMessage during activation. If you encounter issues activating or using iMessage with your phone number:
******Verify that you are connected to a cellular network.
******Toggle iMessage off and on in Settings > Messages.

If you are unable to activate iMessage on a device after remote wiping it, wait at least 24 hours and try again.

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
unified messaging on MBA running Mountain Lion GM

Has anyone gotten iMessage to register their phone number in iMessage on a Mac running Mountain Lion???

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Well I finally found a copy of the beta 3 ipsw file to download through a torrent. Restored to my last 5.1.1 backup and then updated to beta 3 using the non-dev trick. It installed fine with no problems and my iMesaage is working fine now. Only thing I have noticed now is it feels like the snappiness I had come to love from iOS 6 compared to iOS 5 is now gone and feels about the same a iOS 5. Also the phone gets hot now when I am playing CSR Racing just like when I am using heavy GPS. Never noticed it getting this hot before even on iOS 5 just playing a game. Hoping this clears up by intself in the next day or two.

critic81

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
Reset network settings worked for me after the second reset. Turn iMessage off. Reset Network settings. Turn it back on and it worked. Only thing is now I can't access Facetime over cellular. I'm getting the contact ATT popup which sucks. I pay for my data, let me use it as I want.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Reset network settings worked for me after the second reset. Turn iMessage off. Reset Network settings. Turn it back on and it worked. Only thing is now I can't access Facetime over cellular. I'm getting the contact ATT popup which sucks. I pay for my data, let me use it as I want.

This worked for me too. The ATT popup is new with beta 3, can't be fixed for now.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i changed my sim card to another number, now facetime and imessages keeps on waiting for activation and my old number still there. :mad:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
i changed my sim card to another number, now facetime and imessages keeps on waiting for activation and my old number still there. :mad:

Some things to try:

-Toggle iMessage On/Off
-Swap to a different SIM and then back again
-Keep Waiting
-Restart the phone

This issue can be difficult to solve.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Has anyone gotten iMessage to register their phone number in iMessage on a Mac running Mountain Lion???
I have not been able to register my phone number in the Messages app in Mountain Lion--it only accepts email addresses for "you can be reached for messages at." However, my conversations--even the ones I have started from phone number on iPhone--seem to be coming over OK.

One person's conversation in particular (who was confused when getting separate conversations--so I only used phone number) now is showing up in Messages on the mac. I have not heard a complaint from her so I am assuming it is working with my phone number.

It appears I can continue phone-number-based iMessage conversations on my Mac but connect start a new one from there.

Since ML is GM I don't see phone number specifically added to the Messages app anytime this summer.

Michael

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
This showstopper bug still exists for me. Anytime I turn on iMessage my contacts are all confused as to why my email address is texting them. I cannot make it come from my number. Tried network settings reset, DFU restore, everything. It just never ever activates. Anyone else running into this? Beta 3 is a complete effing mess.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
This showstopper bug still exists for me. Anytime I turn on iMessage my contacts are all confused as to why my email address is texting them. I cannot make it come from my number. Tried network settings reset, DFU restore, everything. It just never ever activates. Anyone else running into this? Beta 3 is a complete effing mess.

Try resetting network settings.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.