PDA

View Full Version : My iMac's local hostname changed automatically?

RedCroissant
Jul 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone. I was about to shut down my iMac when I saw this message pop up on my screen.

"This computer's local hostname '---- iMac.local' is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to.."........-iMac-2.local'"

Why would this happen? I did recently upgrade my HDD to a 3TB one and cloned my original drive. Would this be the reason? Thanks for your help.

Intell
Jul 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
This usually happens when a ghost of your machine is on the network. A way to fix it is to uncheck the "Wake for network access" box in the Energy Saver pref pane. This is not something to worry about.

RedCroissant
Jul 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
This usually happens when a ghost of your machine is on the network. A way to fix it is to uncheck the "Wake for network access" box in the Energy Saver pref pane. This is not something to worry about.

Hey Intell. Well what you said definitely worked. Thanks!

mimbrava
Mar 19, 2013, 09:36 PM
I should have come to this thread three error messages ago. Thanks for an easy fix, Intell.

oscarmacca
Feb 15, 2014, 05:32 AM

Worked for me on Mavericks 10.9.1, thanks.

Raist3001
Feb 23, 2014, 03:58 PM
If I turn off wake for network access, won't this prevent my PLEX from waking my Mac in order to access my media?

Intell
Feb 23, 2014, 04:30 PM
If I turn off wake for network access, won't this prevent my PLEX from waking my Mac in order to access my media?

Possibly, but then again having your machine not sleep may be the best alternative.