PDA

View Full Version : Application dock item showing ".app" on every application

Pipper99
Jul 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
On my new retina MBP, my applications dock item has suddenly started showing ".app" appended to every application where before it just showed the application name. I have "Show all filename extensions" turned off in Finder Preferences. I don't have this issue on my iMac, and I have Show all filename extensions turned on.

Is there a way to prevent the ".app" from appearing in the Dock applications pop up menu?

GGJstudios
Jul 21, 2012, 01:41 PM
On my new retina MBP, my applications dock item has suddenly started showing ".app" appended to every application where before it just showed the application name. I have "Show all filename extensions" turned off in Finder Preferences. I don't have this issue on my iMac, and I have Show all filename extensions turned on.

Is there a way to prevent the ".app" from appearing in the Dock applications pop up menu?
Mine has always shown the .app extension when viewing from the /Applications folder on the Dock. If you don't want to see them, create aliases for all your apps and put the aliases in a folder called Apps. Then delete the .app extension from all the aliases. Now drag the /Apps folder to your Dock instead of the /Applications folder.

Pipper99
Jul 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mine has always shown the .app extension when viewing from the /Applications folder on the Dock. If you don't want to see them, create aliases for all your apps and put the aliases in a folder called Apps. Then delete the .app extension from all the aliases. Now drag the /Apps folder to your Dock instead of the /Applications folder.

Thanks so much for the info. I just dragged the Applications folder off of the dock and dragged it back into the dock from the Finder, and the .app appendage is gone.

I appreciate your help! :)