Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
On my new retina MBP, my applications dock item has suddenly started showing ".app" appended to every application where before it just showed the application name. I have "Show all filename extensions" turned off in Finder Preferences. I don't have this issue on my iMac, and I have Show all filename extensions turned on.

Is there a way to prevent the ".app" from appearing in the Dock applications pop up menu?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
On my new retina MBP, my applications dock item has suddenly started showing ".app" appended to every application where before it just showed the application name. I have "Show all filename extensions" turned off in Finder Preferences. I don't have this issue on my iMac, and I have Show all filename extensions turned on.

Is there a way to prevent the ".app" from appearing in the Dock applications pop up menu?
Mine has always shown the .app extension when viewing from the /Applications folder on the Dock. If you don't want to see them, create aliases for all your apps and put the aliases in a folder called Apps. Then delete the .app extension from all the aliases. Now drag the /Apps folder to your Dock instead of the /Applications folder.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Mine has always shown the .app extension when viewing from the /Applications folder on the Dock. If you don't want to see them, create aliases for all your apps and put the aliases in a folder called Apps. Then delete the .app extension from all the aliases. Now drag the /Apps folder to your Dock instead of the /Applications folder.

Thanks so much for the info. I just dragged the Applications folder off of the dock and dragged it back into the dock from the Finder, and the .app appendage is gone.

I appreciate your help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.