Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
It seems to me the main way Android is one-upping the iPhone is in selection. And one of the main factors of selection is screen size.

Apple fans are historically into tininess, so offer an iPhone that looks like the long iPod nano and offers phone, iPod and limited app functionality. Would that be so hard? It would sell like hotcakes at $99 or even $49 subsidized.

Then offer an upgraded version of the current iPhone as is expected.

THEN kill the Android market with a massive 4.8" quad core 128gb, 3gb ram 3 day battery for those who don't wear tight pants.

Don't tell me about fragmentation. App devs will jump on making apps for both the new models.

Then build in some pretty widgets and a bit more customisation and it's game over.

I just don't see the point of limiting people to one size of phone. They don't with iMacs, MBs, iPods, and it's looking like the iPad will be available in two sizes. The iPhone needs it the most out of those I'd say.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Stranger things have happened I suppose, but I don't see this happening
Nor do I see a need for it personally

Apple isn't about chasing the competition and offering every conceivable choice
They are very deliberate about what they do

A smaller iPad is no a certainty either, only a possiblity based on rumors

I would be disappointed to see Apple move in this direction myself

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The thing is though, their computers/tablets are aimed at different types of people. Either for casual use, school, or work. I don't think you could have a phone succeeding so well when its catered either for casual, school or work and imo the iPhone's use is catered to how people want to use it.

Last edited:

Fresh1

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Maryland, USA
Apple won't cave due to what their competition does. They're the ones that competition copies from, not the other way around.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I, somewhat agree, there should be a range of offerings, if a range means two choices (not just in colors). I say this, only because, when you see the next person next to you holding an iPhone, my first reaction is, "Oh they chose either (black or white).", never wondering if the have the 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB".

There's so many that have an iPhone. It sort of lost it's cachet.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Not going to happen. I don't see Apple ever offering more than one new model. They will keep older stuff in production but only offer a single new model.(form factor wise at least)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Apple won't cave due to what their competition does. They're the ones that competition copies from, not the other way around.

Apple has no reason to chase the competiton because they are in the defeated position.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
It seems to me the main way Android is one-upping the iPhone is in selection. And one of the main factors of selection is screen size.

Apple fans are historically into tininess, so offer an iPhone that looks like the long iPod nano and offers phone, iPod and limited app functionality. Would that be so hard? It would sell like hotcakes at $99 or even $49 subsidized.

Then offer an upgraded version of the current iPhone as is expected.

THEN kill the Android market with a massive 4.8" quad core 128gb, 3gb ram 3 day battery for those who don't wear tight pants.

Don't tell me about fragmentation. App devs will jump on making apps for both the new models.

Then build in some pretty widgets and a bit more customisation and it's game over.

I just don't see the point of limiting people to one size of phone. They don't with iMacs, MBs, iPods, and it's looking like the iPad will be available in two sizes. The iPhone needs it the most out of those I'd say.

I would disagree. I think Apple fans are usually into simplicity of design, ease of use, and capability as opposed to making everything as tiny as possible The iPod shuffle is a good example of what Apple fans like that caused Apple to change it's design to reincorporate the buttons.

The version of the iPhone you though of would be cool if it could be made into a prepaid version that would work on any network, but I don't see people passing up a full-featured device for one with limited capabilities. That idea would work better for a newer iPod nano in my opinion.

And even though you said not to tell you about fragmentation, it would be an issue. Sure, people would jump n the app wagon to write apps for a smaller and less-capable device, but then the consumer would still get a more limited device in terms not just limited to functionality or capability.

I'm with you on the widgets though, and I would like to see that implemented like it is in OS X, but twits those processes running in the background, you would still end up eating away at battery life.

And as far as limiting the consumers to one size of phone, who's to say that Apple won't leave the 4S out there in addition to whatever size phone they release next? Then people would still have more choices and they don't have to waste money coming up with a smaller iPhone like phone.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I have a 16GB iPod Nano touch screen that cannot use the apps that are available for other devices because its capabilities are limited due to its size and desired function. Unless Apple writes more apps for it or includes others in a software update, I'll have the same 6 apps on there for as long as I own the device.

I also don't see too many developers creating iPod nano specific apps....but then again, I wouldn't expect as much since I knew what I was going to use it for and what its capabilities were when I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple isn't about chasing the competition and offering every conceivable choice
They are very deliberate about what they do

While I agree, to an extent, they certainly give you choice with their Mac line, or at least a lot more choice than they do with phones and tablets.

The real question is how multiple iOS phone sizes would impact the market. I honestly think it could go either way, really.

----------

And to mention fragmentation that does exist within the Apple ecosystem.. I have a 16GB iPod Nano touch screen that cannot use the apps that are available for other devices because its capabilities are limited due to its size and desired function. Unless Apple writes more apps for it or includes others in a software update, I'll have the same 6 apps on there for as long as I own the device.

I don't know that this is REALLY a fair comparison. The iPod nano never was intended for applications. It's not a mini computer, as are the iPhone, and iPod touch. It's an mp3 player, with some additional features built in.

When talking fragmentation, I personally like to talk about Apple's cherry picking certain features in upcoming OS updates that will only run on certain hardware. One example might be Siri. Apple states a lot of this is due to hardware limitation. I personally suspect otherwise.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
When talking fragmentation, I personally like to talk about Apple's cherry picking certain features in upcoming OS updates that will only run on certain hardware. One example might be Siri. Apple states a lot of this is due to hardware limitation. I personally suspect otherwise.

What you are describing is not close to be being fragmentation.

Until Apple releases an API for Siri that forks development into Siri and non-Siri apps, it's not fragmentation no matter how much you want it to be.

----------

And to mention fragmentation that does exist within the Apple ecosystem.. I have a 16GB iPod Nano touch screen that cannot use the apps that are available for other devices because its capabilities are limited due to its size and desired function. Unless Apple writes more apps for it or includes others in a software update, I'll have the same 6 apps on there for as long as I own the device.

I also don't see too many developers creating iPod nano specific apps....but then again, I wouldn't expect as much since I knew what I was going to use it for and what its capabilities were when I bought it.

Don't buy an MP3 player and pretend it's a smart device...problem solved.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
While I agree, to an extent, they certainly give you choice with their Mac line, or at least a lot more choice than they do with phones and tablets.

The real question is how multiple iOS phone sizes would impact the market. I honestly think it could go either way, really.

It is hard to compare the Mac lineup to the mobile device lineup IMO
But, I think the trend in their Mac offerings is towards more consolidation than expanded offerings

The Mac laptops seem to be converging
And Apple seems to be wavering on the direction of their desktops somewhat
But even so, the difference between laptops and desktops is a big gap and not specific to expanded choices

The iPhone does offer choices:
They are still selling 3 different models, the 3GS, the 4 and the 4s
They sell different colors
They sell different storage choices

Offering different screen sizes for the iPhone doesn't seem to be in the cards
And I think it would serve to dilute their brand more than expand their market
The iPhone is iconic, and one can identify it immediately out in the wild
I see other phones and have no idea what they are
But that is just speculation and opinion on my part
I'm sure they have put much more thought into than I have :)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

To me these arguments are reminiscent of those people were making regarding why Apple needed to be in the netbook market. "Apple needs to diversify." " Apple needs to address its competitors." "Apple's products are becoming stale."

Yet, Apple's laptop profits & market share are reaching new heights almost every quarter, and everyone else is scrambling to catch up (ie. look at all of the MacBook Air copycats).

Apple makes missteps, yes, but they're not known for chasing specs and appealing to the lowest common denominator to make everyone happy; it's just not who they are.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Boy you iphone fanatics REALLy need to try a 4.8" Android phone. You just keep saying the SAME THING over and over. Won't fit in pocket, fragmentation, one hand use, better ecosystem, etc etc. After owning a S3 for 2 weeks, these arguments seem absolutely insane and completely naive.

In the pocket the S3 feels much LIGHTER than on an iphone. I'm 5'7" and can easily reach the entire phone with my left hand only. Fragmentation? Pff..in actuallity every single Android app that I wanted works flawlessly on my S3 - and I have now over 100+ apps. The apps just adapt to the screen size like they do in a PC. Ecosystem? Well, I was able to replace pretty much every iPhone app I had with an equal OR BETTER Android app, and I was able to easily sync my iTunes library to my phone with iSyncr. Not to mention being able to swap 64GB microsd cards and batteries and also have USB flash drives, SD cards, keyboards and a lot of other stuff work in the microUSB slot. And I'm not going to even talk about how utra cool it is to have an actual FILE SYSTEM and be able to see flash video in the browser, which works flawlessly despite all the kooky arguments against it (hey it WORKS without a hiccup and does not eat my battery excessively nor crash my system, and those are FACTS).

The iPhone is a good phone. But the screen size and lack of removal storage is going to put it at a disadvantage in the near future. Of course it will still sell and we all know WHY - look at the people defending this dated phone for some reason in this thread. But if you guys just kept an open mind and listen to suggestion like the OP had and push Apple to listen to consumer requests, the iPhone would be a BETTER phone. It just would. Until then, Apple as always will give you the minimum amount of new technology to get you to buy the new phone but hold back enough to make you buy the next phone. Come on - we ALL know that at this point. A slightly taller 4" phone? Give me a break. Note that this is with a different aspect ratio that woul fragment the market according to your own arguments, he he. But I guess it's OK when APPLE does it.

As for me, I cold care less at this point. The S3 is truly remarkable, for me at least. But be happy in your ignorant bliss. :)

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Come on, man. Did you read my post to see that I didn't expect smart device capabilities when I bought it? I knew what I was buying and why.

Oh, and your initial assesment is not "fragmentation in the Apple ecosystem" either.

The Touch Nano is not on the same product line branch as OSX and iOS 5/6

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Come on, man. Did you read my post to see that I didn't expect smart device capabilities when I bought it? I knew what I was buying and why.

That wasn't a pointed comment. It was just a general response to people that buy the "wrong tool for the job".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.