Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Or maybe it is fragmentation no matter how much you don't want it to be? :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, fragmentation is just a word. How the consumer feels about the product is what matters, right? What about the removal of other features? I can argue that if you buy the device Google intends you to buy (those which run stock Android), there is no fragmentation in Android, you will continue to receive timely updates, and Apps will "just work" as well.

My point? The fragmentation argument is so, so, SOOOOOOO overplayed by the Apple/iOS crowd it's not even funny. People love to use the fact that because Android gives you so many hardware and software choices, it is fragmented. To an extent, that's true. If you want to toss away that choice and get Google's flagship device which launches once a year (same as Apple) you are going to get a comparable experience in terms of the dreaded "fragmentation" and updates that Android is so often criticized for.

Fragmentation is real, and it's a problem. It just so happens that it doesn't fit your narrative so you prefer to classify it as "overplayed", which is akin to burying one's head in the sand.

Or how about a visual aid for what development has to contend with...no wonder android apps tend to be inferior to iOS...There is no target. It's more like whack a mole.

android-fragmentation-visualization.jpg

Screen-Shot-2012-07-03-at-9.10.42-AM.png

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Fragmentation is real, and it's a problem. It just so happens that it doesn't fit your narrative so you prefer to classify it as "overplayed", which is akin to burying one's head in the sand.

Or how about a visual aid for what development has to contend with...no wonder android apps tend to be inferior to iOS...There is no target. It's more like whack a mole.

Your abrasive choice of words makes having a discussion really difficult with you.

The stats you presented exist because people are choosing Android devices that are not sold running stock Android. I'd also be interested in seeing what percentage of those devices were inexpensive "pay as you go" devices. My point is, buy stock Android, and your problem is solved.

As far as app inferiority, do you have some examples? It certainly was the case 12+ months ago. I certainly don't agree with that assessment anymore.

And I didn't say fragmentation didn't exist. Now you are simply putting words in my mouth. What I said (now the third time), is buy stock ANDROID MUCH LIKE YOU BUY STOCK iOS, and your fragmentation woes are left in the dust.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
...buy stock ANDROID MUCH LIKE YOU BUY STOCK iOS, and your fragmentation woes are left in the dust.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I had a Nexus S 4G, didn't quite turn out that way now did it...

Between Google not having an ICS update ready until after other phones got it 6 months later, and them dumping CDMA support, then changing their minds, there is no safety under the Nexus banner...

And what happened to the Nexus One, which was dumped after only 1 major update...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah, that's what I thought when I had a Nexus S 4G, didn't quite turn out that way now did it...

Between Google not having an ICS update ready until after other phones got it 6 months later, and them dumping CDMA support, then changing their minds, there is no safety under the Nexus banner...

And what happened to the Nexus One, which was dumped after only 1 major update...

I guess I was referring to the GSM models, sorry. Nexus One, was dumped after one update. iPhones and the 3G were also dumped after two. As per my own statement, that doesn't automatically make things ok. What I am saying is, going forward, we can expect 3+ version updates on Google's flagship devices just like we can expect 3+ version updates on Apple's devices.

FWIW I am not trying to argue. I am just trying to say that, going forward, Google flagship devices should be a pretty good choice in terms of those who are wanting updates, that's all. I am not here to try and drag any OS through the mud. That's just silly and all it does is cause arguments. I am here to discuss, not argue.

EDIT: I didn't mean to write all that in caps/ The capslock on the Mac keyboard is a terrible placement for me :/

Last edited:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I guess I was referring to the GSM models, sorry. Nexus One, was dumped after one update. iPhones and the 3G were also dumped after two. As per my own statement, that doesn't automatically make things ok. What I am saying is, going forward, we can expect 3+ version updates on Google's flagship devices just like we can expect 3+ version updates on Apple's devices.

EDIT: I didn't mean to write all that in caps/ The capslock on the Mac keyboard is a terrible placement for me :/

The Nexus One didn't even get one "major" update as in a whole number change. It shipped with Android 2.1 and was only upgraded to 2.2 then 2.3.

The iPhone 3G shipped with iOS 2.0 and it's final update was iOS 4.2.1. So essentially, the 3G got 2 major updates, a more smaller updates in between.

You could argue that iOS and Android handle updates differently (Google seems to think of major updates as 0.x updates whereas Apple thinks of a major update as a whole new number), but you get the picture.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The Nexus One didn't even get one "major" update as in a whole number change. It shipped with Android 2.1 and was only upgraded to 2.2 then 2.3.

Google does "version update numbers" differently than Apple (and, well, everyone it seems). 2.3 WAS a major update. I agree, their numbering system is pretty stupid, but that's beside the point.

----------

You could argue that iOS and Android handle updates differently (Google seems to think of major updates as 0.x updates whereas Apple thinks of a major update as a whole new number), but you get the picture.

Yes, that is the exact argument I am making. :)

I can call something Android 14.8.3.6.4 if I wanted to. The numbering doesn't matter, at all. It is the content within the OS that matters. Google "screwed the pooch" early on with their numbering system. Thei'r "saving grace" is that the names give a pretty good indication of "true" version jumps (ie froyo>gingerbread>ICS, etc.) I suppose it is more comparable to they way OSX version update works. 10.6 is very different than 10.7 !0.7 different than 10.8, etc. But "nobody" knows it as a number. Everyone knows it as a "big cat" much like everyone knows Android as a "sweet treat".

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Google does "version update numbers" differently than Apple (and, well, everyone it seems). 2.3 WAS a major update. I agree, their numbering system is pretty stupid, but that's beside the point.

----------

Yes, that is the exact argument I am making. :)

I can call something Android 14.8.3.6.4 if I wanted to. The numbering doesn't matter, at all. It is the content within the OS that matters. Google "screwed the pooch" early on with their numbering system. Thei'r "saving grace" is that the names give a pretty good indication of "true" version jumps (ie froyo>gingerbread>ICS, etc.) I suppose it is more comparable to they way OSX version update works. 10.6 is very different than 10.7 !0.7 different than 10.8, etc. But "nobody" knows it as a number. Everyone knows it as a "big cat" much like everyone knows Android as a "sweet treat".

Well said. I wish apple and Google would just call their OS by name. Much easier to remember.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I'm not sure why people try to even say loyal Apple customers like simple clean designs, like small screens, etc... Bottom line is it DOESN'T MATTER. We all know the loyal Apple customer will buy ANYTHING Apple puts out. History shows the fanatic Apple customer flip flops with their opinion when it suits them and Apple. How can anyone say otherwise.

/cut

This is not always the case. I love technology and most of the Apple products I own, but do I love all Apple products? No. I think the 11" MBA is a terrible form factor, though undoubtedly Apple's response to the netbook market. I HATE Lion, and subsequently ML (still running SL on my 4 year old MBP). I see no use for the iPad and prefer the iPod Classic over an iPod Touch.

That being said, I really hope that they DON'T change the screen size on the next iPhone iteration. But alas, all signs seem to point to this being the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.