PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use OS 9 or X?

AJW
Jan 14, 2002, 08:32 PM
I just thought this would make an interesting poll (I've seen opinions, but no percentages of 9 vs. X usage)

Durandal7
Jan 14, 2002, 08:45 PM
I've been using X only. Has anyone had this problem, after I change resolutions all the graphics are garbled in classic and I have to reboot the classic enviroment.

Catfish_Man
Jan 14, 2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by asurace
I've been using X only. Has anyone had this problem, after I change resolutions all the graphics are garbled in classic and I have to reboot the classic enviroment.

...of 9 and X do you have? I vaguely remember something like that but either 9.22 or X.12 fixed it. I'm not sure about this.

blackpeter
Jan 14, 2002, 09:40 PM
X is all I need...

eyelikeart
Jan 14, 2002, 09:48 PM
I run X on my PowerBook all the time, unless I need to have multiple graphics applications at my complete disposal...

at work I'm still on 9 for the same reason above.....we haven't yet switched to X and probably won't for a while...

Classic is great for small things, but not for complete performance issues... ;)

voicegy
Jan 14, 2002, 11:25 PM
I use both...I need to get more familier with OS X because this will start becoming an issue in my district, and as the only "techie" in the Educational Technology department, I gotta get my feet wet.

I didn't start until a few weeks ago, because, frankly, I knew 10.0 needed some tweaking. (typical of any operating system...never jump in if the version ends in zero!)

So I've got one computer in front of me (G4 Tower with Cinema Display) runnin' OS 9 and the same configuration on a desk next to me runnin' OS 10.1.2.

I gotta admit, I'm very attracted to that OS X speed! And it's becoming almost second nature to jump from one to the other.

By the way, I downloaded Omni Web for OS X and it's BEAUTIFUL! I'm never opening up Explorer on the X machine again!

Scott

PyroTurtle
Jan 15, 2002, 12:15 AM
OS X with Classic mode boot up when you start the computer....
there have been weeks where i haven't restarted my computer...then an update comes out and it makes me ;)
but that's all i've been using sence OS X 10.0
and back then i had a 233 iMac (rev a baby!)
so, i donp't know what my point was buy hey, i had to say something...

so for me, it's OS X only with the classic enviro always up and running...

mac15
Jan 15, 2002, 03:30 AM
FULL ON X STYLE
ONLY OS X FOR ME
SINCE I HAVE THE PHOTOSHOP 7 BETA
AND FINAL CUT PRO 3

Falleron
Jan 15, 2002, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by asurace

If you only run OSX have you got OS9 installed? Just wondering because shouldn't OSX be a lot quicker without OS9 intalled.

mac15
Jan 15, 2002, 03:37 AM
I DONT KNOW

SOUNDS INTERESTING

OJB
Jan 15, 2002, 03:54 AM
Mac OS X is the only OS I want to use now. Have been using it since
the beta on both my G4s and I love it. It just gets better and faster.
However some, quite skilled, users are having trouble adapting.
They want to treat it like 9. You really have to accept this is a whole
new (better) thing!
I still use 7,8 and 9 on my lesser machines.
I really, really must have Photoshop for Mac OS X--its about the
only reason to still use Classic! :(

j763
Jan 15, 2002, 06:16 AM
only using osx after i got office v.X thed other day - a bargain A$299 or $149USD.

thank god for academic pricing... :)

macaddict123k
Jan 15, 2002, 06:26 AM
10 is too slow on an imac dv se w/ 256mb of ram.

Ensign Paris
Jan 15, 2002, 06:40 AM
I looks good for Mac OS X then!

Apple took a gamble with OSX and it now look very much like it worked!

Keep Mac Heading!

evildead
Jan 15, 2002, 02:44 PM
Now that Toast 5.1 is out... I never have to boot into OS 9. I only use classic mode when I am scanning something, Using PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, or Flash. But... I have not been that into web stuff for a while... so I am almost compleetly OS X now... everyone should be if they can.

Durandal7
Jan 15, 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Catfish_Man

...of 9 and X do you have? I vaguely remember something like that but either 9.22 or X.12 fixed it. I'm not sure about this.
I've got 10.1.2 and 9.2. Maybe there is a OS 9 updater somewhere I can find.

hinkhous
Jan 15, 2002, 05:47 PM
can't really see any reason to upgrade until Photoshop and Quark Xpress run in X. I love the eye candy, but at least half of my work would need to be in Classic, so why bother? Hope to be upgraded by the end of 02, though. Maybe sooner if I get a new machine (not much of a choice now, eh? since it is the default os)

mischief
Jan 15, 2002, 05:50 PM
It would be exclusive of Classic but for the fact that my CAD Co. botched the port.

Durandal7
Jan 16, 2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Falleron

If you only run OSX have you got OS9 installed? Just wondering because shouldn't OSX be a lot quicker without OS9 intalled.
What I meant was I don't boot into 9. I only use classic now for photoshop. X runs good if the classic enviroment isn't booted so i use it on a as-needed basis.

Jarod
Jan 16, 2002, 09:42 PM
OSX most of the day. But till Quark, PageMaker & Photoshop get their butt in gear I'll have to keep using 9.2 Also, Retrospect can't see OSX from a 9 backup server. So every night I gotta boot back to 9. Hope 5 fixes that.

mmcneil
Jan 16, 2002, 10:03 PM
I work most of the time in X, still haven't upgraded to Office vX - that comes with my TiBook, soon hopefully. I use Appleworks as much as possible until then, love the PDF feature. Once I have Office vX then OS 9 will only be for games e.g Imperialism II only works pre 9.1, my other games seem to work fine in Classic... mostly strategy.

Buggy
Jan 16, 2002, 10:10 PM
tough descision

OSX at home

OS 8.5 - 9.2 at work (can't use OSX since we are on an NT network and classic will not work on an NT network)

shergar
Jan 16, 2002, 10:12 PM
Have been a OS X user since the beta, but had to keep booting back into 9 to get any work done. Then along came 10.1 and now I only ever use 9 for photoshop. Once photoshop 7 comes out I'll be dumping Classic.

kaneda
Jan 17, 2002, 01:00 AM
I am using 9 most of the time still, I love to use X but I am a graphic designer most softwares I need it still not support for X yet. Man, I was hoping Macromedia announced something at MAC World but nothing at all! I am just happy that Adobe is annoucing Photoshop. Golive and Livemotion. That probably will convert to X...I can live without Flash or Dreamweaver for awhile.

I am going to Video Production! So Apple better release new G4 or 5 Tower soon...Or I am converting to PC and FORGET ABOUT X!

GreenLyons
Jan 17, 2002, 01:29 AM
I bought an aftermarket G3 chip to soup up my 8600, only to find out the manufacturer will not upgrade or support it. So Im stuck with OS 9.1. Would lvoe to run OSX, have played on it and it is stable.

Screamingbeaver
Jan 17, 2002, 02:49 AM
Okay, I've been running OSX on my G4 tower for the last few months. No major issues at all. I abosultley love it. I'm, of course, running classic most of this time (Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, GoLive) Once I turned power management NOT to go to sleep....EVER!...everything is fine.

However, I have a question for you people, I also have a Pismo G3/400 PowerBook (320megs of ram) that I use a lot, probably more than my tower and I also have a iMac DV/400 (192megs of ram), should I make the move and upgrade those to OSX?

Will my PowerBook be able to handle OSX with out too much trouble? I feel that even my G4/400 (768megs of ram) is little sluggish at times, and I wonder how slow my PowerBook would be.

If any body is runnin' OSX on this PowerBook, any input would be cool, Thanks for your help.

britboy
Jan 17, 2002, 04:45 AM
I use X about 90% of the time. I still have to use os9 to run vpc (haven't got version 5, yet) and burn divx media. For some reason upon inserting a 700 MB blank cd into the vst firewire cd-writer than came with the TiBook, X reads it as being 666.8 MB or something like that, and by the time it's been formatted, i only end up with around 655 MB, which is a bit daft IMO. Anyone else have this problem?

the WOZ
Jan 17, 2002, 04:48 AM
im running Mac OS 10.8

RitchieDeMan
Jan 17, 2002, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by the WOZ
im running Mac OS 10.8

Really? Bet thats good then!

ibjoshua
Jan 17, 2002, 06:52 AM
i love x.1.2
so stable
more than just eye candy
i now resent working in 9.2 on the powerbook at work
(i prefer the win2k pc next to it because of the stability)

AJW
Jan 17, 2002, 08:16 PM
What's this "cl[asterisk][asterisk][asterisk]ic" junk in all the posts? Does a new filtering software not like the "a ss" in "cla ssic"?

voicegy
Jan 17, 2002, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I noticed that, too.

Let's test it.

I'm going to type this straight up...nothing up my sleeve...here goes:

"Cartman, you have a FAT ***!"

(there...let's see what happens...)

AJW
Jan 17, 2002, 08:30 PM
In another thread, I noticed that "a ssemble" is being affected too... Maybe this filter thing should check to make sure that "a ss" has a space at each end...

MrMacMan
Jan 17, 2002, 08:48 PM
ah......
I use 9.2.1 and there is no way in hell I'm getting OS X unless I get a job... WAit I'm 14, damn life. Oh well 9.2.1 is fine for me, and if u ask why I didn't get 9.2.2 cause I'm on a 56g*y and it would take a long time! Around a hour and 20 mins...

Microsoft_Windows_Hater
Jan 17, 2002, 09:15 PM
I formatted my HD and installed Mac OS X only. I don't use cl***ic and in fact don't like cl***ic. Don't attack me for it, it jst didn't work with me.

My friends Pismo runs 10 flawlessly even with Office Vx open. I would upgrade it to OS X. Even the sleep function works well...

Screamingbeaver
Jan 17, 2002, 09:20 PM
Re: Windows_Hater...

Thanks for the info, slap OSX on my pismo when I have time. Just out of couriosity, what kind of stuff you do with out Cla ssic? I'm not raggin on ya, I'm just courious.

I'm just so into production I don't know what I would do without Cla ssic.

thanks again for the input.

MrMacMan
Jan 17, 2002, 09:21 PM
Look 9.2 has been there for me... Os X hasn't come out with a;ll the programs I need for it so.:p

GigaWire
Jan 17, 2002, 09:25 PM
FCP 3 + AE 5.5= Full on 10!

pimentoLoaf
Jan 17, 2002, 10:31 PM
I find it a bit too odd to run os9 whilst running osX -- kinda like running Virtual PC.

Of course, it could be odder still: osX with Virtual PC running Linux on Cl***ic. :eek:

Jookbox
Jan 19, 2002, 11:04 AM
i boot into osx but the apps i use most- dreamweaver, flash, photoshop are running under classic mode. i can't wait to get office for osx. for now i'm using entourage in classic mode as well.

i hate how classic mode screws up the alpha of osx.. for example with the genie effect. osx made me a mac convert. now i have the best of both worlds since i don't have some kinda grudge against wintel machines.:p

Falleron
Jan 19, 2002, 11:10 AM
What is the best resolution to run OSX at?

jaykk
Jan 19, 2002, 11:41 AM
I am new mac convert with a new TiBook with OS X running full time - no Os 9 for me...I choose TiBook as my home computer for two reasons..
First of all, i always wanted to have a full unix system on my desk .

Secondly, I started using less and less MS products lately and decided its time to say goodbye to Windoze altogether when i wanted a new computer for my personal use.
But I still use my thinkpad at work..I have been programming in various Unix platform for almost 10 years now- sun solaris, sco unix, linux. My current project is in C/C++/Java/DB2 in AIX and use wintel laptop to log on to our aix box..and to run some utilities and debuggers. Plus Lotus Notes for mail, organizer etc..., and Lotus smart suite as office suites.

Lotus Notes is already in beta and will be available to public in a month..and I hope IBM and their Lotus Division comes up with new products for OS X. ( i really want DB2 for OS X and Lotus Smart Suite) If that happens I can convince my boss to go fulltime with Mac .