Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Mac OS Do You Use?

• OS X Only

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • OS 9 Only

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • X, but I use Classic a lot

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • X, but I often boot into 9

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • 9, but sometimes I boot into X

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • OS 8 or earlier

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

AJW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2001
I just thought this would make an interesting poll (I've seen opinions, but no percentages of 9 vs. X usage)

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I've been using X only. Has anyone had this problem, after I change resolutions all the graphics are garbled in classic and I have to reboot the classic enviroment.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
What versions...

Originally posted by asurace
I've been using X only. Has anyone had this problem, after I change resolutions all the graphics are garbled in classic and I have to reboot the classic enviroment.

...of 9 and X do you have? I vaguely remember something like that but either 9.22 or X.12 fixed it. I'm not sure about this.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I run X on my PowerBook all the time, unless I need to have multiple graphics applications at my complete disposal...

at work I'm still on 9 for the same reason above.....we haven't yet switched to X and probably won't for a while...

Classic is great for small things, but not for complete performance issues... ;)

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I'm Bi!

I use both...I need to get more familier with OS X because this will start becoming an issue in my district, and as the only "techie" in the Educational Technology department, I gotta get my feet wet.

I didn't start until a few weeks ago, because, frankly, I knew 10.0 needed some tweaking. (typical of any operating system...never jump in if the version ends in zero!)

So I've got one computer in front of me (G4 Tower with Cinema Display) runnin' OS 9 and the same configuration on a desk next to me runnin' OS 10.1.2.

I gotta admit, I'm very attracted to that OS X speed! And it's becoming almost second nature to jump from one to the other.

By the way, I downloaded Omni Web for OS X and it's BEAUTIFUL! I'm never opening up Explorer on the X machine again!

Scott

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
OS X with Classic mode boot up when you start the computer....
there have been weeks where i haven't restarted my computer...then an update comes out and it makes me ;)
but that's all i've been using sence OS X 10.0
and back then i had a 233 iMac (rev a baby!)
so, i donp't know what my point was buy hey, i had to say something...

so for me, it's OS X only with the classic enviro always up and running...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
FULL ON X STYLE
ONLY OS X FOR ME
SINCE I HAVE THE PHOTOSHOP 7 BETA
AND FINAL CUT PRO 3

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by asurace

If you only run OSX have you got OS9 installed? Just wondering because shouldn't OSX be a lot quicker without OS9 intalled.

OJB

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2002
Dunedin, New Zealand
Mac OS X

Mac OS X is the only OS I want to use now. Have been using it since
the beta on both my G4s and I love it. It just gets better and faster.
However some, quite skilled, users are having trouble adapting.
They want to treat it like 9. You really have to accept this is a whole
new (better) thing!
I still use 7,8 and 9 on my lesser machines.
I really, really must have Photoshop for Mac OS X--its about the
only reason to still use Classic! :(

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
osx rocks!

I looks good for Mac OS X then!

Apple took a gamble with OSX and it now look very much like it worked!

Keep Mac Heading!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
OS X

Now that Toast 5.1 is out... I never have to boot into OS 9. I only use classic mode when I am scanning something, Using PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, or Flash. But... I have not been that into web stuff for a while... so I am almost compleetly OS X now... everyone should be if they can.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: What versions...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man

...of 9 and X do you have? I vaguely remember something like that but either 9.22 or X.12 fixed it. I'm not sure about this.
I've got 10.1.2 and 9.2. Maybe there is a OS 9 updater somewhere I can find.

hinkhous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
OS 9 only

can't really see any reason to upgrade until Photoshop and Quark Xpress run in X. I love the eye candy, but at least half of my work would need to be in Classic, so why bother? Hope to be upgraded by the end of 02, though. Maybe sooner if I get a new machine (not much of a choice now, eh? since it is the default os)

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Falleron

If you only run OSX have you got OS9 installed? Just wondering because shouldn't OSX be a lot quicker without OS9 intalled.
What I meant was I don't boot into 9. I only use classic now for photoshop. X runs good if the classic enviroment isn't booted so i use it on a as-needed basis.

Jarod

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2002
Sturgeon Bay, WI
OSX most of the day. But till Quark, PageMaker & Photoshop get their butt in gear I'll have to keep using 9.2 Also, Retrospect can't see OSX from a 9 backup server. So every night I gotta boot back to 9. Hope 5 fixes that.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
But I need OS 9.0.4 for games

I work most of the time in X, still haven't upgraded to Office vX - that comes with my TiBook, soon hopefully. I use Appleworks as much as possible until then, love the PDF feature. Once I have Office vX then OS 9 will only be for games e.g Imperialism II only works pre 9.1, my other games seem to work fine in Classic... mostly strategy.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
tough descision

OSX at home

OS 8.5 - 9.2 at work (can't use OSX since we are on an NT network and classic will not work on an NT network)

shergar

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
London
waiting for Photoshop

Have been a OS X user since the beta, but had to keep booting back into 9 to get any work done. Then along came 10.1 and now I only ever use 9 for photoshop. Once photoshop 7 comes out I'll be dumping Classic.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
9 75% X 25%

I am using 9 most of the time still, I love to use X but I am a graphic designer most softwares I need it still not support for X yet. Man, I was hoping Macromedia announced something at MAC World but nothing at all! I am just happy that Adobe is annoucing Photoshop. Golive and Livemotion. That probably will convert to X...I can live without Flash or Dreamweaver for awhile.

I am going to Video Production! So Apple better release new G4 or 5 Tower soon...Or I am converting to PC and FORGET ABOUT X!

GreenLyons

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2002
West Coast, USA
have to use OS 9.1

I bought an aftermarket G3 chip to soup up my 8600, only to find out the manufacturer will not upgrade or support it. So Im stuck with OS 9.1. Would lvoe to run OSX, have played on it and it is stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.