Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What ML feature are you looking forward to?

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Game Center

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Notes

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Reminders

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Notification Center

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Better iCloud Integration

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • Facebook and Twitter Integration

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • PowerNap

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Sharing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dictation

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • AirPlay

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • GateKeeper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I looked forward to notification centre and Airplay the most. Found them both great but after playing with the GM I found using Safari 6 to be the feature I enjoyed the most. Its a pleasure to use.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Notes. I tend to note things down on the fly using a mixture of Text Edit & Stickies.

Looking forward to having an organised app for all my notes :)

Other than that, a fully functioning Messages app will be welcomed, along with notification centre.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Dictation probably, as I was planning to buy Dragon Dictate before the dictation feature was announced at WWDC.

Notification centre will be good too, but no where near as useful as it is on the iPhone.

Looking forward to general refinements and small UI changes too.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
None of these features -- I see Mountain Lion as just a package of "bells and whistles" that really brings no groundbreaking new features or functionality to the OS that Lion did not have.

I would like the Operating System to take full advantage of four, six, or twelve cores, and not just one or two. I would like applications to take full advantage of the Retina display on the new MacBook Pro. I would like actual SIRI "full" functionality built into the system, full voice command recognition and navigation, and full AVI/WMV/XVID/DIVX video playback built into QuickTime standard...something Apple has never delivered!!

QuickTime needs to be re-written from the ground up. The only way to play various formats currently is to resort to a 3rd party program like VLC. This is unacceptable in the year 2012.

Apple also needs to support audio formats like FLAC -- currently there is no way to rip or playback FLAC in Mac OS X or iTunes, without using a 3rd party program.

Apple needs to improve their TextEdit program, it is seriously lacking.

These things and many others, very simple improvements to add, but Apple won't do it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
None of these features -- I see Mountain Lion as just a package of "bells and whistles" that really brings no groundbreaking new features or functionality to the OS that Lion did not have.

I would like the Operating System to take full advantage of four, six, or twelve cores, and not just one or two. I would like applications to take full advantage of the Retina display on the new MacBook Pro. I would like actual SIRI "full" functionality built into the system, full voice command recognition and navigation, and full AVI/WMV/XVID/DIVX video playback built into QuickTime standard...something Apple has never delivered!!

QuickTime needs to be re-written from the ground up. The only way to play various formats currently is to resort to a 3rd party program like VLC. This is unacceptable in the year 2012.

Apple also needs to support audio formats like FLAC -- currently there is no way to rip or playback FLAC in Mac OS X or iTunes, without using a 3rd party program.

Apple needs to improve their TextEdit program, it is seriously lacking.

These things and many others, very simple improvements to add, but Apple won't do it.

iCloud is groundbreaking

Quicktime "has" been replaced. The new media framework is AV Foundation.

The Operating system does support multiple cores within reason. If you know how to efficiently manage the OS across 12 cores without screwing things up I'm sure Apple would hire you on the spot.

Why would someone use FLAC when they could get the same result with Apple Lossless? Apple wouldn't support FLAC because of indemnification issues

Mountain Lion doesn't need to be groundbreaking it just needs to work.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I voted for notes (currently using xpad which hasn't been updated since before I bought my computer!)

But honestly if ML can give me back some form of save as and the ability to zoom in on pdfs via quick look WITHOUT messing up anything else I will be satisfied.

In all honesty Lion badly needed a "service pack" sort of upgrade and that is exactly what Apple is doing. I see nothing wrong with that. Not crazy about the iOS add ons but as long as they don't get in my way I don't care. I just want OS X upgrades to keep improving even if the improvements are marginal just don't want to go backwards!

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Notes. I tend to note things down on the fly using a mixture of Text Edit & Stickies.

Looking forward to having an organised app for all my notes :)

Other than that, a fully functioning Messages app will be welcomed, along with notification centre.

You and me both haha. I have TONS of stickies in my Dashboard and various TextEdit files are generated every time I need to do something on the computer or if I need to remember something for a short period of time. Haha.

My favorite features are Dictation, AirPlay, and Notes as of right now.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
What makes iCloud groundbreaking ?

Perhaps you've got a more full featured version than what I've seen?

Mountain Lion finishes the trifecta.

It syncs :

Key Value data - This is more powerful than Dropbox because key value data isn't in the form of a document.

Documents - finally the final piece is ready.

Core Data - even files in core data stores or packages can be kept in sync with iCloud

So Apple has a sync technology that doesn't rely on "faking" in in a folder and can sync the smallest bit of data on up to large core data stores. And all of this is integrated into the very frameworks that developers use every day.

Who else is offering such breadth? No one else is delivering such frictionless sync on a wide scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.