PDA

View Full Version : Slow Shut Down Times

ugp
Jul 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
I have noticed a big increase in the amount of time Mountain Lion takes to power down over Lion. It use to shut down in a few seconds. Now it is taking on average around 25-30 seconds. Anyone else experiencing this?

nontroppo
Jul 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
I think Apple have removed shutdown monitor logging -- this used to work in Lion but is empty in ML (Console.app > shutdown_monitor.log)

You can try to reboot in verbose mode (⌘v on startup), and see what is shown in the shutdown text. You'll probably see some processes which do not unload properly...

Nielsenius
Jul 30, 2012, 09:39 AM
I have noticed a big increase in the amount of time Mountain Lion takes to power down over Lion. It use to shut down in a few seconds. Now it is taking on average around 25-30 seconds. Anyone else experiencing this?
I've noticed this as well. It's been this way since DP 1. Hopefully we'll see an improvement in 10.8.1.

Nozuka
Jul 30, 2012, 09:52 AM
Mine turns off after a few seconds. I did i clean install though.

MTShipp
Jul 30, 2012, 10:03 AM
I found that my locally attached Time Machine drive does a lot of cleanup sometimes when I power down. If I am remote and do not have it attached, it can shut down in very few seconds. If I am at home and have it attached, sometimes it can take 30 seconds or more.

ugp
Jul 30, 2012, 10:44 AM
Mine turns off after a few seconds. I did i clean install though.

I did an upgrade. I did not want to take the time to do a clean install but I might to see if it fixes the problem.

I found that my locally attached Time Machine drive does a lot of cleanup sometimes when I power down. If I am remote and do not have it attached, it can shut down in very few seconds. If I am at home and have it attached, sometimes it can take 30 seconds or more.

I use a Time Capsule to it's always remotely attached. I just have never had it shut down in a few seconds anymore. I haven't noticed any system slow downs when it's on as of yet. Start-up is still 10-12 seconds for me.

xtine911
Jul 31, 2012, 08:02 AM
I did a clean install and am still experiencing very slow shut down times. My mid-2011 MBA 11" used to shut down in 2-3 seconds on Lion. Now it takes 20-30 seconds to shut down on ML.

Donka
Jul 31, 2012, 10:07 AM
I have the same issue - it's gone from ~1 sec (Lion) on my Late 2011 MBP 13 with Sandisk Extreme SSD to ~15 secs. Once in a blue moon it will shut down in around a second but the majority of the time I have the grey screen with the rotating shutting down icon. This happens even when I boot up and then shut down without opening up any applications. The only 3rd party app I have running in the menu is caffeine.

Donka
Aug 9, 2012, 05:17 PM
My MacBook Pro was taking around 15 - 20 seconds to shut down, it was literally 1 second previously under Lion - SSD installed and this was pretty consistent. It would do this 9 out of 10 times.
As of today, it appears to be back to shutting down in 1 second - I don't want to speak too soon but I have shut down 3 times today and it's been 1 second each time. So what has changed? Well this morning I had an HP Printer update under software update - perhaps this has been the cause for me. If anyone else has an issue and has been using an HP printer then I urge you to try software update and install the update to see if this fixes it for you.

bushido
Aug 9, 2012, 06:03 PM
My MacBook Pro was taking around 15 - 20 seconds to shut down, it was literally 1 second previously under Lion - SSD installed and this was pretty consistent. It would do this 9 out of 10 times.
As of today, it appears to be back to shutting down in 1 second - I don't want to speak too soon but I have shut down 3 times today and it's been 1 second each time. So what has changed? Well this morning I had an HP Printer update under software update - perhaps this has been the cause for me. If anyone else has an issue and has been using an HP printer then I urge you to try software update and install the update to see if this fixes it for you.

i just installed that update myself, unfortunately its still taking between 20-30 seconds to shut down, even after a start up without opening anything.

its so annoying, never saw the spinning wheel on shut down before ML

nontroppo
Aug 9, 2012, 06:11 PM
So has anyone tried using verbose boot to see what is causing your slow shutdown?

firefire
Aug 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
Heh -- every time I try verbose mode (command-V on startup) it shuts down in ~1 second, and then the one time I decide not to verbose mode... :eek: I'll keep trying every now and then.

Hopefully we can find something before the Windows 8 folks arrive...

Donka
Aug 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mine has been back to ~1 sec for well over a week now since I installed that HP update. Not sure exactly what the trigger is but it seems to be fixed 100% for me now. Actually nervous about installing 10.8.1 when it comes out now.

paul117
Aug 19, 2012, 02:47 AM
my early 2011 macbook pro takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 and a half minutes to shutdown both on a HDD running at 7200rpm and on a sata 3 SSD.... though i recall having this issue was back since DP1 aswell.

smr95
Aug 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
Mine is having the same problem, it took 25-30 sec to shut down, but when I did restart my mb pro, try to shut down again, it back to normal, 3 sec..anyone has the same problem?

jk73
Aug 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
I have a new rMBP and I've been noticing this, too. Not only are shutdowns very slow, but the same is true of restarts. The shutdown takes a long time, and then the computer stays off so long that it appears the restart isn't even happening. I had about a 15-second delay yesterday between a shutdown and the startup chime.

It seems like my slow shutdowns have been after I've had peripherals attached (iPod, Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapter, etc.). If I use my rMBP without any peripherals and then shut down, it's usually very quick (1-2 seconds).

dcorban
Aug 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
I think everyone in this thread has collectively spent more time thinking and typing about this "problem" than the increase in shutdown time has ultimately cost us.

fiveainone
Aug 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
You listen Mister, shutting in 3 seconds in Lion was super impressive to me coming from Windows. Now I'm back to 20-30 seconds shut down, especially when I'm about to go to bed, is annoying.

nwhear
Aug 24, 2012, 06:59 AM
I had the same problem on my MBA runing OS10.8 (and Lion)

I found this solution on another site

navigate to the Macintosh HD on your desk top open it go to libary and delete the Java folder then empty the trash can

You dont need the Java files and if you do visit a site requiring them you will be prompted to down load them and they will be the new ones.

Result - INSTANT SHUT DOWN!

Try it it works

regards

Nick

Arizor
Aug 24, 2012, 07:05 AM
Hey all,

As I posted in my own thread (sorry didn't see this one), here's the main issue I find with verbose mode on during shutdown:

24/08/12 5:31:03.013 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication[135]) Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

Anyone provide enlightenment?

appleid.authentication indicates to me some problem centred around user accounts.

nwhear
Aug 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
Arizor

I have just posted the solution to slow shut down times in OS 10.8 above

Works fine and no I dont claim it I found the solution on another Apple forum

So all you peeps should be shutting down in about 3 seconds now!

----------

fiveainone the problem is the OLD Java file that have been carried over from Lion slow the shutdown of Mountain Lion - get rid of them and you are back to a fast shut down any new java files you download if needed will be fine with OS 10.8 and will not slow you down as the ones you deteted currently are.

If you are worried save the Java folder to a USB stick!!

Skoopman
Aug 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Arizor

I have just posted the solution to slow shut down times in OS 10.8 above

Works fine and no I dont claim it I found the solution on another Apple forum.

I have never installed Java on my system so that is not the problem.

gnipun
Aug 24, 2012, 04:28 PM
I have never installed Java on my system so that is not the problem.

I was having the same problem. I recently bought Intel 520 SSD and installed ML onto it. The shut down for me was slower than my old HDD with Lion.
I had cleared my LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons and also used CleanMyMac to clear cache files and logs but that didn't do much.

It took me a while to fix it, but believe it or not this worked for me:
1. Shut down your computer with "Reopen windows when logging..." CHECKED. (The shut down will be slow this time ~ 20 seconds)
2. Turn your computer on
3. Shut down with "Reopen windows when logging..." UNCHECKED. It now shuts down in 2 seconds.

Good Luck!

Arizor
Aug 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
1. Shut down your computer with "Reopen windows when logging..." CHECKED. (The shut down will be slow this time ~ 20 seconds)
2. Turn your computer on
3. Shut down with "Reopen windows when logging..." UNCHECKED. It now shuts down in 2 seconds.

Good Luck!

This works for me, unchecking "reopen" means a 1-2 second shutdown. I wonder why? Issues with permissions and exiting apps?

GGJstudios
Aug 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
I had cleared my LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons and also used CleanMyMac to clear cache files and logs but that didn't do much.
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14132129&postcount=37) that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=709930). While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx).

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Five Mac maintenance myths (http://www.macworld.com/article/133684/2008/06/maintenance_intro.html)

Macman45
Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM

I had the same thing on my MBa...It dragged forever to shut down. A fresh, non-destructive install of ML has cured it though.

gnipun
Aug 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14132129&postcount=37) that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=709930). While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx).

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Five Mac maintenance myths (http://www.macworld.com/article/133684/2008/06/maintenance_intro.html)

Ah, I see.
I wasn't aware of the risk. I just read somewhere that I should "clean" my computer once a month. But, as per your recommendation I will not use CleanMyMac. And if needed, I will look into Onyx.

Thanks!

GGJstudios
Aug 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
Ah, I see.
I wasn't aware of the risk. I just read somewhere that I should "clean" my computer once a month.
There's no need to "clean" your Mac. I think some of this thinking is a carryover from Windows experience.

ryannazaretian
Aug 28, 2012, 11:05 PM
Having issues here as well... Cleaned installed, repaired disk, repaired permissions, reset PRAM & SMC (even though that shouldn't make a difference).

I saw something about Parallels causing the problem. I have Parallels installed, and notice this every time I shutdown.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261792

They released an update earlier today though. Maybe they fixed it? I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

ugp
Aug 29, 2012, 07:34 AM
Having issues here as well... Cleaned installed, repaired disk, repaired permissions, reset PRAM & SMC (even though that shouldn't make a difference).

I saw something about Parallels causing the problem. I have Parallels installed, and notice this every time I shutdown.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261792

They released an update earlier today though. Maybe they fixed it? I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I currently do not have Parallels installed and I still get this problem.

Zmijutin
Aug 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm still experiencing slow shutdown times. Even after 10.8.1 update installed.

ryannazaretian
Aug 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
I currently do not have Parallels installed and I still get this problem.

I was also wrong about the update... turns out my friend just hadn't been notified about the update from a week or two ago. So no new updates...

I'll switch my computer to boot into verbose mode to see if I can spot the culprit.

Arizor
Aug 30, 2012, 06:24 AM
In verbose mode at shutdown my main culprit seems to be:

com.apple.securityd

Anyone else?

M5RahuL
Aug 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
If you're running Parallels, this solution worked for me:

1. In 'Finder', clicked on 'Macintosh HD' under Devices.
2. Double clicked on 'Library'
3. Double clicked on 'LauchAgents'
4. Dragged three files starting with 'com.parallels.' to 'Trash'. Required password.
5. Repeated #1 and #2
6. Double clicked on 'LaunchDaemons' now
7. Dragged one file starting with 'com.parallels.' to 'Trash'. Required password.
8. Restarted the system. This is the last time system takes time to 'Shut Down'.
9. After restart, 'Shut Down' took just a few seconds !

We have to wait for 'Parallels' to come up with an update fix.

Zmijutin
Aug 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
If I'm not running Parallels? What to do then? :))

ugp
Aug 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
If I'm not running Parallels? What to do then? :))

This.

Zmijutin
Aug 31, 2012, 03:31 PM
I just tried to run UNIX maintenance terminal command. Maybe could help :)

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

ibarnett
Aug 31, 2012, 07:01 PM
My Mac Pro was taking over 1 minute with both Lion & ML.
I just removed Parallels - now shuts down in a few seconds.
Mmmmm, wonder if I will reinstall or just use BootCamp to my Windows drive, I received an email today asking for $49 to upgrade to Parallels 8..... I don't think so!

ryannazaretian
Sep 1, 2012, 03:27 PM
In my case, Parallels is having some problems, but I'm not sure if that is the cause. You can see all of the com.apple.launchd stuff below the Parallels errors, which is where it spends the majority of its time. It will spit out a batch, then stop for about 5 seconds, then another batch of them, and stop, for about 4 times.

If you notice, they're all the same PIDs and services. I'm not used to debugging OSX, so I'm unsure if that is related to the Parallel's errors or not.

Maybe someone with more experience can tell me?

Paradoxally
Sep 1, 2012, 05:19 PM
If you're running Parallels, this solution worked for me:

Parallels 8 fixes this for me, my 2009 MB Pro is very fast to shut down (with HDD), around 7-10 seconds including closing programs.

aarmstrong27
Sep 1, 2012, 06:05 PM
I did the Java delete described above but did not see an increase in shutdown time. I am not running parallels. I have an external HD connected and according to what I've read on another forum, external wired, or even wireless, HDs could be causing this problem.

However...

With the latest 10.8.2 build (12C35) I'm back to 3-5 second shutdowns. :D

2011 13" MBA 1.7 i5 w/ML 10.8.2

majortrout
Sep 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hello,

I've also found that both OS X Mountain Lion and Safari are both slow.

As for Safari, once I'm at a site, I cannot click on a sub-menu without waiting.
I need to go back to the original first time I visited the site, then visit something else.

I use Google Chrome now!

Also,even with the "new improved Safari", my Safari still crashes, but now as much as before (6 times a week). I guess that was 1 of the new 200 improvements!

Most of you are talking about reloading the OS. However, how can someone do that if you downloaded the OS from Apple? They didn't seem to offer DVD's at the time, and I think still don't.

GGJstudios
Sep 1, 2012, 06:35 PM
Most of you are talking about reloading the OS. However, how can someone do that if you downloaded the OS from Apple? They didn't seem to offer DVD's at the time, and I think still don't.
No, Apple hasn't offered Mac OS X on DVDs since Lion was released.

OS X: About OS X Recovery (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718)
Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks. (http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/)
Hands on with Mountain Lion's OS X Recovery and Internet Recovery | Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167870/hands_on_with_mountain_lions_os_x_recovery_and_internet_recovery.html#lsrc.rss_howto)

tallchris
Sep 2, 2012, 03:23 PM
I had slow shutdowns on both 10.8.0 & 10.8.1, tried to figure it out by looking at the console log, and think i worked out it was something with the internet. See if you all still get it if you turn off airport then shutdown.

I did a completely clean install last night and it so far seems to have fixed it anyway.

JForestZ34
Sep 2, 2012, 06:56 PM
I just have to ask a question. What is the big deal if your shut down times are longer than before? Is it really going to kill anyone if it takes a little longer. You shutting it down for a reason. Even restarting is 30 more seconds really gonna kill anyone?

James

gr8m8sam
Sep 4, 2012, 09:36 PM
I have the same issue - it's gone from ~1 sec (Lion) on my Late 2011 MBP 13 with Sandisk Extreme SSD to ~15 secs. Once in a blue moon it will shut down in around a second but the majority of the time I have the grey screen with the rotating shutting down icon. This happens even when I boot up and then shut down without opening up any applications.

Was running ML on Sandisk the migrated to Samsung830 SSD and installed a fresh copy of 10.8.1 and VmWare Fusion 5.0.1 and this started happening. it can go up to 30~35 sec whereas before it used to take 1~2 sec.

----------

I just have to ask a question. What is the big deal if your shut down times are longer than before? Is it really going to kill anyone if it takes a little longer. You shutting it down for a reason. Even restarting is 30 more seconds really gonna kill anyone?

James

It's not about extra 30 sec, though extra 30 sec can kill someone in some other situation. Here it means something is not right or fallen out of place and needs to be fixed.:apple:

MassiveAttack
Sep 4, 2012, 09:44 PM
I just tested my machine and it shut down in 5 seconds. I never did a clean install or anything. My machine is totally stock running ML.

Donka
Sep 5, 2012, 03:23 AM

James

I think we are more concerned why the shutdown is suddenly taking 15 times longer to shutdown - it's not so much the duration, just the fact it has increased. There must be a reason for it and it suggests something is not quite right!

inspirations365
Sep 5, 2012, 09:44 AM
I had the same thing on my MBa...It dragged forever to shut down. A fresh, non-destructive install of ML has cured it though.

This solved the problem for me as well- and I don't even have Parallels! Went from ~30+s with gray screen and loading circle to Dock Disappear and black sreen in ~5s.

JesalTV
Sep 5, 2012, 11:09 AM
My Lion took 20-30 seconds to shut down anyway, so it makes sense for ML to do the same! Even though my MBP is v quick.

Tbh I put it to sleep 99 times out of 100, so it's not a big deal for me personally.

jgil27
Sep 11, 2012, 07:39 AM
So as I upgraded to Mountain Lion everything was running smoothly, Shutdown times were at 2-3 seconds. After installing Google Chrome, shutdown time increased to 20-30 seconds. I uninstalled Google Chrome and now my shutdown times are back to 2-3 seconds. I hope Google takes notice of this issue and come up with and update to get rid of this problem, I hope this woks out for everyone with the same problem.

ultraspiracle
Sep 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
My shutdown was very fast with 10.8.1 running Parallels after I deactivated the service parallels.disp.svc. Basically, then I went and uninstalled parallels 7 and reinstalled it - problem solved.

That was hanging the system on shutdown and it took forever! Once taken care of, nearly immediate shutdown.

Now with 10.8.2 things are different. The above service no longer runs with Parallels 8, so if it's hanging the system it's due to something else. My shutdown time is over 40 seconds. Unacceptable.

2012MBP, 2.7, 500 SSD, 10.8.2

NJFP
Sep 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
No parallels, dumped the Java folder, shut down STILL at 25 seconds. No change..........

Atarikid
Sep 27, 2012, 11:51 PM
FYI:
Apple already knows about the slow shutdown with 10.8.2

ATM there is nothing you can do about this.

ultraspiracle
Sep 28, 2012, 12:09 AM
Here is a possible workaround for the moment. It worked for my machine.

Go to system preferences/users and groups. Under login items, highlight all and at the +/- click the MINUS - i.e. get rid of everything. Shut down. Power up, wait a few minutes, and restart.

If slow shutdown was caused by any of the login items, it should be much faster. In my case, the culprit was Google Drive.

It's important to wait a few minutes and doodle around on the computer before testing the restart/shutdown time, since there are a lot of startup services that need to come up and stabilize.

Again, this worked for my machine, and - again - this never surfaced before 10.8.2, so hopefully the app makers and Apple can figure this out.

Note added later - this was not a permanent fix and, as many users can attest, is a bug that affects 10.8.2. Supposedly, it's being addressed.

JForestZ34
Sep 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
If your shutting down the computer does it really matter how long it takes? Even restarting, if it takes 20-30 secs longer you guys can't honestly live with that?

James

SR45
Sep 28, 2012, 07:39 AM
If your shutting down the computer does it really matter how long it takes? Even restarting, if it takes 20-30 secs longer you guys can't honestly live with that?

James

Since it only started with 10.8.2, many of use are of the impression that something is wrong and needs fixing. If it were just normal, than it would be no big deal. Are you worried about those that are worried about this ? :confused:

JForestZ34
Sep 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Since it only started with 10.8.2, many of use are of the impression that something is wrong and needs fixing. If it were just normal, than it would be no big deal. Are you worried about those that are worried about this ? :confused:

I'm not worried about anyone. I'm just saying what is 30 secs more waiting for it to shut down or restart. I'm just asking what is the big deal. That's like waiting 30 more sec for your coffee to be ready and freaking out about it. When you restart or shut down the computer, do something else in the meantime.

Next people will complain it takes to long to start up. There might even be a thread about that already

James

colloc
Sep 28, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm not worried about anyone. I'm just saying what is 30 secs more waiting for it to shut down or restart. I'm just asking what is the big deal. That's like waiting 30 more sec for your coffee to be ready and freaking out about it. When you restart or shut down the computer, do something else in the meantime.

Next people will complain it takes to long to start up. There might even be a thread about that already

James

James, the problem is that it used to shut down in 5-6 secs in previous ML builds. The fact that it takes so long to shut down in the current 10.8.2 build makes it a software bug. What we are trying to do is find out how to fix this bug while Apple hasn't released a fix for it yet.

Whether it's a big deal or not is a matter of opinion. Who are we to judge others' opinions?

Blackberryroid
Sep 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
I have slow shut down times too, and this is coming from the owner of the World's fastest MacBook Air.

JForestZ34
Sep 28, 2012, 09:17 AM
James, the problem is that it used to shut down in 5-6 secs in previous ML builds. The fact that it takes so long to shut down in the current 10.8.2 build makes it a software bug. What we are trying to do is find out how to fix this bug while Apple hasn't released a fix for it yet.

Whether it's a big deal or not is a matter of opinion. Who are we to judge others' opinions?

I see a lot of people are OCD about this type of thing. If that's all you have to worry about is your computer shutting down in 20-30 sec more you must not have a busy life.

And who says it a software bug. Maybe apple built something in the software to optimize something on start. Maybe that is why it takes so long. Being we haven't heard anything it's probably normal. Remember with every software release not everything is gonna be the same.

I'll leave you to being upset to your slow shut down times

James

z06gal
Sep 28, 2012, 10:13 AM
I never shut my MBP down so I don't know if I have the issue :D

razmarino
Sep 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
well, removing cloud.app from login items did the trick for me, seems like cloud apps causing these problems with shutdowns.. ultraspiracle, thx for the tip!

colloc
Sep 28, 2012, 10:50 AM
I see a lot of people are OCD about this type of thing. If that's all you have to worry about is your computer shutting down in 20-30 sec more you must not have a busy life.

And who says it a software bug. Maybe apple built something in the software to optimize something on start. Maybe that is why it takes so long. Being we haven't heard anything it's probably normal. Remember with every software release not everything is gonna be the same.

James

:) when did I ever say I was upset about shutdown time? Chillax :apple: But I will keep an eye open for a fix. So should you!

SR45
Sep 28, 2012, 11:47 AM

James

You opened up a can of worms here. If it doesn't bother you why in the world would you start a campaign to bad mouth others that are concerned? You should have just by passed this thread altogether, but you did not, and now you are just Trolling to post anger at those with concerns. Just go away and live your life happily knowing you are the OCD police :mad:

ELCJR
Sep 28, 2012, 11:54 AM
Removing iTunes" and Dropbox" from the login seems to be helping. Keeping an eye out though.

MacBird
Sep 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
So as I upgraded to Mountain Lion everything was running smoothly, Shutdown times were at 2-3 seconds. After installing Google Chrome, shutdown time increased to 20-30 seconds. I uninstalled Google Chrome and now my shutdown times are back to 2-3 seconds. I hope Google takes notice of this issue and come up with and update to get rid of this problem, I hope this woks out for everyone with the same problem.

Deleting Google Chrome did the trick, thanks! I hope it is not just temporary.

Krazy Bill
Sep 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
If that's all you have to worry about is your computer shutting down in 20-30 sec more you must not have a busy life.

Huh? You obviously have nothing to do. I'm so busy that when I press shutdown on my mac I expect to be closing the display, packing up my macbook and leaving my chair all within 5 seconds.

velo
Sep 28, 2012, 10:26 PM

James

Actually I have a very busy and on the move life which is exactly why I bought a mba with its ssd and value the quicker start up and shutdown times.

It was temporary for me.

Arctix
Sep 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
Is closing the lid when shutting down your Mac bad? That's what I do, so I don't have to wait till it shuts down before closing the lid.

GGJstudios
Sep 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
Is closing the lid when shutting down your Mac bad? That's what I do, so I don't have to wait till it shuts down before closing the lid.
If you select shut down, then close the lid, your Mac may sleep before it can shut down. If you want it to shut down, wait until the process is complete before closing the lid. If you want it to sleep, just close the lid.

fireos
Sep 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
From 3 seconds to 13 sseconds.

RMSko
Oct 1, 2012, 08:51 AM
I have the rMBP (250 GB SSD) and my shutdown time was about 2-3 seconds until about a week ago when it started taking about 15 seconds to shut down. I don't recall adding any programs or making any changes to my laptop recently that would cause the change in behavior. I've tried all the suggestions above, but none of them have helped. Does anyone have any thoughts or updated info on this topic?

ioshertz
Oct 11, 2012, 04:11 AM
I don't have any virtual machine
I tried to delete the JAVA folder and it worked only the first shut down

but if you turn off wifi it shuts down for 2-3 seconds every time - EDIT - that appears to be wrong - again is slow shutting

EDIT - I also tried to quit skype and again it shut down quickly
maybe it's something related to the net connections and the new features [facebook bla bla] that is causing the problem

SR45
Oct 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
Most of the time its 20 seconds now, but for some unknown reason and without doing anything different, the time to shutdown will be 3 seconds and only once than back to 20 seconds again. This happens a few times now and cannot understand why this is. Goofy OS X

Donka
Oct 11, 2012, 08:14 AM
Most of the time its 20 seconds now, but for some unknown reason and without doing anything different, the time to shutdown will be 3 seconds and only once than back to 20 seconds again. This happens a few times now and cannot understand why this is. Goofy OS X

I have this exact same behaviour under the latest version of ML.Around 20 seconds on average with maybe every fifth shut down being around 1 second. Was always around 1 second a couple of months back on Lion - the slow shut downs happened after the last update to Lion and have been there every since in some form or another.

xgman
Oct 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm assuming that there are some periodic background system checks or low level maintenance going on at shutdown that are hard to spot and somewhat random. At least it doesn't behave that way on startup.

GGJstudios
Oct 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'm assuming that there are some periodic background system checks or low level maintenance going on at shutdown that are hard to spot and somewhat random. At least it doesn't behave that way on startup.
If you're referring to the maintenance scripts that run daily, weekly and monthly, those are scheduled to run at specific times, or, if a Mac is sleeping at the scheduled time, they run the next time it's running. They don't run at shutdown. My guess would be a process that is hung up or busy.

razmarino
Oct 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
My guess would be a process that is hung up or busy.
appleeventsd
this one. try to kill it before shut down

blatopilot
Oct 11, 2012, 06:07 PM

Interesting. I'm assuming that has to do with Google Keystone...I like Chrome, but every time I uninstall it things are better.

RMSko
Oct 13, 2012, 08:43 AM
Others have reported this as well, but it ends up being temporary. Do you still have a fast shutdown time, or did it revert back to the longer shutdown time?

MacBird
Oct 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
Others have reported this as well, but it ends up being temporary. Do you still have a fast shutdown time, or did it revert back to the longer shutdown time?

Unfortunately, it was only a temporary fix.

krasnoyarsk
Oct 14, 2012, 05:15 AM

Definitive fix: delete System caches

Open Terminal and write these commands, each one in a different command line. You 'll need your password.

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

You can find the original thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1448304

Donka
Oct 14, 2012, 05:36 AM
I wouldn't say definitive. I have been clearing caches for a while and next shut down is always rapid but the problem soon comes back.

SR45
Oct 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't say definitive. I have been clearing caches for a while and next shut down is always rapid but the problem soon comes back.

Agree. Tried same, but it just came back again. Still seeing a fast shutdown ever so often and confused as to why not always.

the-jobster
Oct 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
getting rid of chrome worked for me too :) getting closer and closer to an air as quick as my old SL one!

J.L.Photography
Oct 16, 2012, 12:21 AM
so its for sure been a recent update software issue that all of a sudden caused slow shut downs??

all i know s my rMBP was 1-2 sec shutdown, after a recent update, it is 20-30 seconds.

colloc
Oct 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
Here's what I found that helps: before shutting down I quit all my opening apps instead of leaving them open. The shutdown time reduced to only 5-6 secs. Try it!

SR45
Oct 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
Here's what I found that helps: before shutting down I quit all my opening apps instead of leaving them open. The shutdown time reduced to only 5-6 secs. Try it!

I have no open apps and still same issue. What have you shut down that have helped ?

Safari is the only one that I have not shut down in dock.

Edit: Shut down "Pages" that I forgot to shut, and shutdown took 5 seconds. Second time it went up to 15 seconds for shut down, and third time back up to 20 seconds. So this did not work for me. Shut down Pages again along with Safari from dock and still 20 second shut down.

Edit 2: OK, I have now removed from the Dock "Mission Control" and my shut down twice has been 3 seconds. Will try again.

Edit 3 & last time: Shut down 3 seconds again for the third time with Mission Control removed from the Dock, but the fourth time it took 10 seconds. All over the map again after a few start ups and shut downs. Not going to bother anymore until Apple comes up with a fix. Software glitch is the likely issue with OS X 10.8.2

Zmijutin
Oct 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
Sometimes if you frequently restart mac it will restart faster, but a after couple of days it seems it's back to 20 seconds. I would say there is nothing we can do about it. Maybe it's a feature where it writes RAM to HDD/SSD but I still don't get it why it's so slow.

the-jobster
Oct 18, 2012, 02:57 PM

same here, shut down starts to hang again...

maxonthemac
Oct 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

I have found a "not-too-dirty" workaround for the slow shutdown issue that seems to be persistent for me and is not bound to the removal/cleanup of any specific cache, application, or service.
If interested, you can find the details in this post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16162261&postcount=103).

NoIdeasOriginal
Oct 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
I was having the same issue running 10.8.2 on the 2011 MacBook Air. I think the culprit is having location services and the Find My Mac service enabled. I did a clean install and unchecked those options and I have not had any shutdown issues since even after restoring all the applications I use - thus I have a good feeling it's not due to any third party software as suggested in this thread.

3rd Rock
Oct 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
I was having the same issue running 10.8.2 on the 2011 MacBook Air. I think the culprit is having location services and the Find My Mac service enabled. I did a clean install and unchecked those options and I have not had any shutdown issues since even after restoring all the applications I use - thus I have a good feeling it's not due to any third party software as suggested in this thread.

Worked first time with 4 second shut down...

Second time, and back to 20 second shutdown time. :(

maxonthemac
Oct 30, 2012, 05:08 AM
As I said above, you may want to try the workaround posted here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16162261&postcount=103) and further refined here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16163178&postcount=105).
Not guaranteed whether it applies to your case as well but, if it does, it should work around the problem (hopefully) permanently.

Donka
Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 AM
As I said above, you may want to try the workaround posted here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16162261&postcount=103) and further refined here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16163178&postcount=105).
Not guaranteed whether it applies to your case as well but, if it does, it should work around the problem (hopefully) permanently.

I followed this from the Apple Discussions forum in your first link and it worked fine for me - set the timeout to 1 second for that plist and now back to pretty much instant shut downs!

Risco
Nov 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
Has 10.8.3 fixed this?

gordonsetter
Dec 17, 2012, 06:34 AM
It took me a while to fix it, but believe it or not this worked for me:
2. Turn your computer on

Good Luck!

Certainly worked for me. Shutdown was 25-30 secs after installing ML. Now it's pretty well instantaneous. Thanks for a great tip.

DriverTraining
Jan 14, 2013, 04:16 PM
Deleted the java file, and guess what...instant shut down. Great work! Was previously taking about 25-30 seconds to do so
Page 1 for the tip. .
Mac Mini late 2012, i7 2.6, 256GB SSD

tivoboy
Jan 14, 2013, 09:30 PM
Deleted the java file, and guess what...instant shut down. Great work! Was previously taking about 25-30 seconds to do so
Page 1 for the tip. .

I tried this, didn't really do anything to shorten the slow shut down time.

Donka
Jan 15, 2013, 03:42 AM
For those still with issues, check out posts #92 & #96. This has been fine for me for over a couple of months now.

Schranke
Jan 15, 2013, 04:15 AM
I had the same problem on my MBA runing OS10.8 (and Lion)

I found this solution on another site

navigate to the Macintosh HD on your desk top open it go to libary and delete the Java folder then empty the trash can

You dont need the Java files and if you do visit a site requiring them you will be prompted to down load them and they will be the new ones.

Result - INSTANT SHUT DOWN!

Try it it works

regards

Nick

This help me down to 1 sec on my rMBP, further more since java is need for the people of Denmark (goverment gave a job to some people who were lazy and used java for our security protocol for connecting to banks, goverment and much more. talk about stupidity!) i changed the settings for how much space java could use on the disk.

SR45
Jan 15, 2013, 01:08 PM
Page 1 for the tip. .

Worked for me twice than back to the 20 second shut down, with a 3 second shut down from time to time. Not a good fix. Need Apple to address this at their end :(

phinsup
Feb 25, 2013, 10:31 PM
I spent HOURS on this issue, unsintalling programs, dragging crap to my trash, etc, etc, etc... Then I uninstalled Google Chrome using app cleaner and my shutdown went from about 40 seconds to 1 second.

imorton
Feb 25, 2013, 11:02 PM
I spent HOURS on this issue, unsintalling programs, dragging crap to my trash, etc, etc, etc... Then I uninstalled Google Chrome using app cleaner and my shutdown went from about 40 seconds to 1 second.

Just curious, how do u explain the 30 second shutdowns with a "fresh Mountain Lion" install?

Google Chrome isn't part of ML?

Just trying to find the problem myself... :(

phinsup
Feb 25, 2013, 11:54 PM
Just curious, how do u explain the 30 second shutdowns with a "fresh Mountain Lion" install?

Google Chrome isn't part of ML?

Just trying to find the problem myself... :(

I don't explain it, however this only fixed one boot, the next boot was the same as always. It would appear i was able to permanently fix it with this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16162261&postcount=103

The-Pro
Mar 14, 2013, 08:07 PM
has 10.8.3 changed anything???

zakee00
Mar 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
has 10.8.3 changed anything???

Just tried shutting down, no visible improvement.

The-Pro
Mar 14, 2013, 09:22 PM
Just tried shutting down, no visible improvement.

bugger.
I wrote another feedback thing to apple. So annoying they don't fix this. How hard can it be.
Windows 7 shuts down faster then OSX, thats not right!

just downloading 10.8.3 anyway

Gator Bob
Mar 14, 2013, 10:02 PM
10.8.3 did not improve my shutdown time much but I do not give a damn. It's a non-issue to me. Also, I shut down infrequently.

10.8.3 installed and runs flawlessly (so far) and Safari runs faster.

Ddyracer
Mar 14, 2013, 10:15 PM
Just updated and now my screen is flashing with second monitor connected. restarted, unplugged, nothing.

Any ideas?

zakee00
Mar 14, 2013, 11:41 PM
10.8.3 did not improve my shutdown time much but I do not give a damn. It's a non-issue to me. Also, I shut down infrequently.

10.8.3 installed and runs flawlessly (so far) and Safari runs faster.

I've been running Webkit since I got my new Mac. It's been smoother than Safari for months now, and it seems to still be smoother even after today's update.

Donka
Mar 15, 2013, 04:54 AM
The workaround mention previously addresses this - 1 sec shutdown every time now for me...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16665359&postcount=101

brilliantthings
Mar 19, 2013, 07:38 PM
Looks like people have a lot of success with this code. What does it actually do to speed up shutdown?

These terminal commands should also fix the problem then and kill the services after 2 seconds:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents.plist

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents.plist

Donka
Mar 20, 2013, 03:48 AM
Looks like people have a lot of success with this code. What does it actually do to speed up shutdown?

All it does is wait 2 seconds for that process to stop and it it hasn't it kills it. This process sometimes hangs on shutdown which delays a shutdown until it is killed by the system. This code just speeds up the killing of the process.

HarCees
Sep 19, 2013, 10:23 PM
When I restart or sleep the macbook, its instant. But when I shut down the computer it sometimes takes forever, or sometimes pretty fast. What is the computer doing while shutting down?