Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
College is soon aproaching for me, anyone else think that there may be an update before Paris Expo before I jump on a 15" Powerbook?

1) Macpredict.com is saying August 31. Seems to be a pretty reliable source based on past predictions.

2) Buyers guide...

3) iBooks recently updated, powerbook update to widen the gap once again?

4) Not sure if it makes more sense on Apple's part to update before or after back to school sales...

I must buy before the iPod deal is over. Something tells me Apple will update at the Paris Expo, which will be too late for the iPod deal. :(

Tristan_X

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
Last minute decisions

Your parents wouldn't approve, but I'd suggest you take a look at what games you're wanting to play.

I got myself the 1GHz PB just after my iBook died (1st week at university!).

Anyway, PB updates are nice, but tend not to blow anyone away - this is since the G4 speed boosts are fairly minimal with each new model.

My 1GHz can handle WoW, KotOR, and any non-gaming app. I'd suggest that you wait until the last hour before the iPod deal expires and go with the best PowerBook available in your price range. Unlike my old iBook (300MHz), I have not been depressed by new benchmarks in PB upgrades, since they've been fairly minimal.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I'm not buying a computer to play games. Ironically, this is supposed to help me be succesful in school.

If I wait until the last hour of the Student Union Deal, I'll already be through a month of school... Don't know if it would be worth it. Plus, if new models are released, it will still be a few days before I see it.

jcooper42

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2005
I'm not convinced that the upgrade won't be a bit more significant. I think its possible we'll see the 7448 G4 which means twice as much L2 cache. That isn't just a minor speed bump. Also, they may bump the system memory to 1 GB. If you would be doing this anyway, then it would save you some money. However, if you are just buying this computer for school work, surfing and other basic stuff then you don't need any more power than the PB offers today.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
jcooper42 said:
I'm not convinced that the upgrade won't be a bit more significant. I think its possible we'll see the 7448 G4 which means twice as much L2 cache. That isn't just a minor speed bump. Also, they may bump the system memory to 1 GB. If you would be doing this anyway, then it would save you some money. However, if you are just buying this computer for school work, surfing and other basic stuff then you don't need any more power than the PB offers today.

Hahaha they won't bump the RAM to 1GB without doing so to the PowerMacs first.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I think this would be a good time to do it (August 31). The Powerbook updates are screamingly overdue as it is.

Gasp! Someone else who doesn't buy a computer to play games? I thought I was the only #$%^ing one left. Jesus...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.