Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Ok, this will be the official Apple Stock Watch thread. On every trading day, at about 5PM EST (the final numbers come in at 4:30) I will post the results of the day's trading, Apple's closing stock price, Apple-related closing stock prices, and Apple's competitors closing stock prices. The source will come from CNN's Money.com, a pretty reliable source in my opinion.

The daily index results that will posted here will be the Dow, Nasdaq, S&P 500, and the 10 year bond.

Apple's closing stock price will be posted here daily.

Apple-related stock prices posted daily will IBM, Motorola, and Sony. Any other stock suggestions in this category that I should post are welcome.

Apple-competitor stock prices posted daily will be Microsoft, Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, and Toshiba. Any other stock suggestions in this category that I should post are welcome.

Additionally, news stories related to the day's trading will be posted here as well.

NOTE: I may not always get the trading day results in right at 5PM EST, but I will try. If anyone else wants to cover for me on days that I can't meet the deadline (which is 6PM EST), that would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I will try and get today's results in at 5PM EST today.

Here is a link to Apple's Stock Price: Click Here

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There is no purpose for this, eventually all it will be is a list of prices that can be looked up. Come on!

D

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by dukestreet
There is no purpose for this, eventually all it will be is a list of prices that can be looked up. Come on!

D

Well, at least Apple fans can look up all this information from one place.

C'mon dukestreet. Give me a chance to serve my beloved Macrumors.com in some way.

Please don't close this thread. :(

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sorry Shrek, I have to say this this will be kinda a waste of time, as Duke said, it'll just be a mass of posts with figures then going off topic here and there where people decide to start discussing stock prices, which will then lead to discussing other stock pricies, then the global economy...you see where I'm going ;)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by edesignuk
Sorry Shrek, I have to say this this will be kinda a waste of time, as Duke said, it'll just be a mass of posts with figures then going off topic here and there where people decide to start discussing stock prices, which will then lead to discussing other stock pricies, then the global economy...you see where I'm going ;)

Oh, we haven't even given it a chance yet. :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Like I said, it really doesn't serve any purpose, you're not going to do anything except display the daily stock price, no added value here. And if I didn't close it down I'm sure someone else would.

If you really want to have Apple stock price around that much, ask arn to put a link on the front page, like they do at maccentral or another site like that.

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Shrek
Why do people have to have so much criticism around here, so much negativity? Geez. This is not the first time this has happened. :(

To you, right?

I wonder if there might be a correlation here? I know we've discussed issues before. Just realize that maybe this isn't the best idea for a thread, and move on, ok?

D

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA

To you, right?

I wonder if there might be a correlation here? I know we've discussed issues before. Just realize that maybe this isn't the best idea for a thread, and move on, ok?

D

We'll see what arn thinks. Bye.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sheesh! Dragging arn into this....

Attachments

• thread-ugly.gif
    thread-ugly.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 166

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

We'll see what arn thinks. Bye.

Hahaha!

Oh, this is quite entertaining. Sure, go ahead. I had actually started to write arn an email about it myself, and came back here to get the link, but I guess you beat me to it.

Thats ok. ;)

Oh, and btw - Happy Birthday! :D

D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Oh, we haven't even given it a chance yet. :p

Looks like your post count is up by about 10 just here. You'll be out of the 6502 ranks soon just because of this thread. It's a good idea--yeah, a good idea to elevate your rank. :D

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
First, happy brithday.
next, i dont think that this thread is such a good idea, cause all its gonna do is shoot your post count up. this is the third thread you've made on this exact subject. the first 2 were pretty good, but i think this one's gonna create some problems.
i think a better idea would be to just post a direct link to the stock page you're gettin it from(which you did), so that whoever wants to see what apples stock is at can. or, report the price at the end of each week, instead of each day.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Trading Day Results for November 12, 2002

INDEXES

Today the DOW JONES industrial average rose +27.05 (0.32%) points to close at 8386.00. The NASDAQ COMPOSITE rose +30.37 (2.30%) points to close at 1349.56. The S&P 500 rose +6.76 (0.77%) points to close at 882.95. The 10YR BOND rose +3/32 (3.84% YIELD) to close at 101 8/32.

Here is today's market news:

Stocks snap losing streak
But Philip Morris warning, worries over purported bin Laden tape limit gains.
November 12, 2002: 6:01 PM EST

By Parija Bhatnagar, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Stocks snapped a three-session losing streak Tuesday but ended well off their best levels of the day after a profit warning from Philip Morris and news of a new Osama bin Laden tape eroded much of the market's gains.

The Dow Jones industrial average (up 27.05 to 8386.00, Charts) managed a small gain after a late-day pullback in the last half-hour of trading. The blue-chip index was up about 150 points at its session high. The Nasdaq composite (up 30.37 to 1349.56, Charts) ended up 2.3 percent while the Standard & Poor's 500 index (up 6.76 to 882.95, Charts) rose 0.8 percent.

Tech stocks drew strength after bullish forecasts from Oracle and Cisco Systems. But Philip Morris (MO: down $5.95 to $37.03, Research, Estimates) hurt blue chips after it warned about its 2003 results, saying it could not confirm its previous guidance. Its stock tumbled nearly 14 percent on the news.

The market also appeared to sell off in reaction to news reports that an audio recording purportedly made by Osama bin Laden threatened attacks on targets in the West.

Market breadth was positive. On the New York Stock Exchange, advancers beat decliners by nearly 2 to 1 as 1.3 billion shares traded. On the Nasdaq, advancers beat decliners 5 to 3 as 1.5 billion shares changed hands.

"I think the market got a little over-extended today on a tech rally. Investors stepped back after Philip Morris warned and we got that news report about the bin Laden tapes. With the rumors floating around, the thinking in the last hour was why stay around and be caught holding the bag," said Bryan Piskorowski, market analyst with Prudential Financial.

Stocks may get a tentative start Wednesday depending on which way the wind blows for Wal-Mart's (WMT: up $0.85 to $53.85, Research, Estimates) quarterly results. Also on tap: IBM (IBM: up $1.86 to $79.15, Research, Estimates)'s analysts' meeting, scheduled to start Wednesday afternoon.

Meanwhile, investors are expected to listen closely to comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan in his testimony on the economy before the Joint Economic Committee of Congress. As a precursor, Fed Vice Chairman Roger Ferguson said Tuesday that the central bank could still cut interest rates. He also said last week's half-point cut limits the deflation risk and may boost business investment.

The Fed, the nation's central bank, surprised the market with a bigger-than-expected half-point rate cut last week, causing a mixed reaction on Wall Street. Stocks sold off for three straight sessions after the rate cut last Wednesday.
Iraq's an open question

Analysts said fears of a war with Iraq remained a worry for investors.

Iraq's parliament Tuesday unanimously rejected the most recent U.N. Security Council resolution requiring it to disarm and allow weapons inspectors back into the country. Despite the "no" vote, the final decision rests with Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, and Iraq has a Friday deadline to either accept or reject the terms of the resolution.

Saddam's rejection of the resolution could trigger a U.S.-led military engagement in the region. The Bush administration said it was prepared to act unilaterally should Iraq violate the resolution passed last week.

"Iraq will be the overriding factor going forward until that situation is resolved," Robert Hoehn, director of research with Fulcrum Global Partners, told CNNmoney Morning.

"The economy is growing, albeit tepidly, and we've had a major correction in the stock market," Hoehn added. "So valuations have come down dramatically and that's a positive. I also don't expect the interest rate cut from last week to have a major impact. What we really need to see is traction on the capital expenditure front."
Software and wireless stocks connect for gains

A positive outlook from software maker Oracle (ORCL: up $0.45 to $9.50, Research, Estimates) ignited enthusiasm for technology stocks after a bruising session for the sector Monday. Contrary to the general industry forecast, chief financial officer Jeff Henley late Monday forecast a turnaround in technology spending and reiterated the company's second-quarter earnings target. Henley also said growth in 2003 would end Oracle's two-year revenue decline.

Cisco Systems (CSCO: up $0.71 to $12.87, Research, Estimates) CEO John Chambers said the order backlog for products to be shipped within 90 days -- a key gauge used by analysts to assess the health of a company's business and the sector -- was up from its September level. Cisco shares were the most active on the Nasdaq.

Telecom stocks were cheered by Vodafone's (VOD: up $2.19 to $17.64, Research, Estimates) quarterly results. Europe's largest mobile phone operator said its first-half loss narrowed and also delivered a bullish outlook for the rest of the year.

The strong performance from technology stocks Tuesday got some cautious Wall Street watchers sounding somewhat bullish.

"With Cisco saying that its order backlog is growing [there are] good tentative first signs that the future is getting better," Jim Glickenhaus, market strategist with Glickenhaus & Co., told CNNfn's The Money Gang. "But it will still be a slow dribble."

3M (MMM: up $1.45 to $127.81, Research, Estimates) led the Dow winners. The diversified manufacturer said it agreed to buy Corning (GLW: up $0.43 to $2.59, Research, Estimates)'s Precision Lens division -- the largest maker of lens systems for television units -- for $850 million.

In overseas markets, European bourses rose on Vodafone's news, while Asian-Pacific stocks finished mixed Tuesday, with Tokyo's Nikkei index just managing to finish higher.

Treasury prices were mixed, with the 10-year note yield at 3.83 percent. The dollar weakened against the euro and the yen. The euro held above parity with the greenback.

Light crude oil futures slipped 4 cents to $25.90 a barrel in U.S. trading, where gold rose further above the $320-an-ounce mark.

APPLE STOCK

Today shares of Apple stock rose +0.48 (+3.17%) today to close at $15.64. The high today was $16.04 and the low was $15.28.

APPLE-RELATED STOCKS

Today shares of IBM stock rose +$1.86 (+2.41%) to close at $79.41. Shares of Motorola stock rose +$0.37 (+4.42%) to close at 8.75. Shares of Sony stock rose +$0.67 (+1.63%) to close at $41.76.

APPLE COMPETITIORS' STOCKS

Today shares of Microsoft stock rose +$0.65 (+1.21%) to close at $54.51. Shares of Dell stock rose +$0.37 (+1.27%) to close at $29.48. Shares of HP-Compaq rose $0.65 (+4.38%) to close at $15.50. Shares of Gateway rose $0.19 (+5.11%) to close at $3.91.

CONCLUSION:

Today was definitely an up day across the board! ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Trading Day Results for November 12, 2002

CONCLUSION:

Today was definitely an up day across the board! ;)

Ha! I'm really trying not to laugh here, but this is your market analysis? Do you really expect to do this every day?

I'll humor you for a second or two....what is your goal here? What are you trying to do? What are you getting out of this?

there needs to be a 'shaking head' smiley, rolling your eyes just doesn't apply here.

:(

D

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I don't see how this serves any purpose other to antagonize the moderators :rolleyes:

As for quoting all of CNN's financial news, was that really necessary?

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Re: Re: Trading Day Results for November 12, 2002

there needs to be a 'shaking head' smiley, rolling your eyes just doesn't apply here.

Well seeing as this thread is destined to be closed, I though I'd post this smilie for fun.

shakeheadfrown.gif

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
hey shrek, you do realize that people can look up the stock and the entire stock history, and all sorts of data, in one place.... same place you are getting the quotes probably....

or countless other web pages.

"we'll see what arn thinks"

hahahahha... ahhh

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ya....

There are far better ways to track this information than by message board posts. I doubt anyone would actually read it for the information provided, when you can find it in a far more readable form elsewhere.

sorry...
arn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.