PDA

View Full Version : Connect Mac Pro and Macbook via ethernet to clone a backup onto the laptop drive?

pullman
Aug 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Is it possible to connect my Mac Pro via ethernet to my Macbook (which only boots into the Recovery partition) and clone over a Lion backup to the laptop?

I have two drives in the Macbook, one broken SSD and one Seagate Momentus. What I would like to do is to clone over the Lion backup to a partition on the Seagate.

robgendreau
Aug 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
A clone? No. A laptop requires a different installation than a Mac Pro. But I am assuming the clone you are referring to is the clone of the Mac Pro. If it's a clone of the laptop's software you can probably do it, depending on your cloning software.

However, if you have a version of the Mac OS that works on all Macs you could install it via the network connection.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2129?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US for an example.

MisterMe
Aug 16, 2012, 05:54 PM
Is it possible to connect my Mac Pro via ethernet to my Macbook (which only boots into the Recovery partition) and clone over a Lion backup to the laptop?

I have two drives in the Macbook, one broken SSD and one Seagate Momentus. What I would like to do is to clone over the Lion backup to a partition on the Seagate.You don't need to clone the Mac Pro's hard drive. All you need to do is to backup your user files and third-party applications. This is trivial. I backed-up my tower to my PowerBook via Ethernet eleven years ago. There is no reason why you can't backup your Mac Pro to your MacBook today.