PDA

View Full Version : Will 2gb of Ram Make a Huge Difference?

berkleeboy210
Aug 9, 2005, 10:36 PM
Ok guys,

I just bought 2gigs of ram for my 15" PB and another 2gigs of ram for my powermac g5 online through macsales.

Will I notice a huge difference in speed once I do this?

I'll be maxing out the powerbook, and the g5 will have a total of 2.5gigs.

me_94501
Aug 9, 2005, 10:46 PM
Ok guys,

I just bought 2gigs of ram for my 15" PB and another 2gigs of ram for my powermac g5 online through macsales.

Will I notice a huge difference in speed once I do this?

I'll be maxing out the powerbook, and the g5 will have a total of 2.5gigs.
Hoe big a difference you notice will depend largely on what you are doing. If you're doing heavy graphics/video/audio work, you'll really notice it. If all you're doing is using your Mac as a glorified typewriter, the extra RAM has less of an impact.

berkleeboy210
Aug 9, 2005, 10:48 PM
Hoe big a difference you notice will depend largely on what you are doing. If you're doing heavy graphics/video/audio work, you'll really notice it. If all you're doing is using your Mac as a glorified typewriter, the extra RAM has less of an impact.

i'm using Garageband, Logic Express, final cut express, Finale, and Reason.

Those are just some of the music/video apps i work with. I shouldn't notice any lag w/ that amount of ram should i?

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Aug 9, 2005, 11:03 PM
Running Final Cut Pro on my PowerBook is painful! I guess it's because I tend to work with super-high resolution video (I don't actually know what I'm doing, I just work on the "bigger is better" principle).

GarageBand runs flawlessly... but that's not really saying much.

I'm yet to max out Logic. I use a lot of software samplers when I'm working on orchestral compositions and I've never noticed any slowdown.

I didn't find that adding RAM made my PowerBook any faster. It did, however, make it seem a lot smoother. But I guess speed is a matter of interpretation.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of the knowledge that I can't add any more RAM :o... which, sadly enough, is worth investing in that second GB.

berkleeboy210
Aug 9, 2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the Replies.

Maybe I should just get a gig for my PB, and then get more for the G5?

killmoms
Aug 9, 2005, 11:12 PM
Running Final Cut Pro on my PowerBook is painful! I guess it's because I tend to work with super-high resolution video (I don't actually know what I'm doing, I just work on the "bigger is better" principle).
Wait... you actually have super-high resolution source material, or you just throw DV into HD timelines? :eek: :confused:

berkleeboy210
Aug 9, 2005, 11:14 PM
Wait... you actually have super-high resolution source material, or you just throw DV into HD timelines? :eek: :confused:

A little off topic, Sorry. But once I was doing some editing in iMovie HD, and after i imported my video. It said it was "Pillaring?". It took forever. Can someone clarify on what Pillaring means.

thanks.