PDA

View Full Version : Larger Backpack 16" for MacBook air 13"?

ac4155
Sep 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

I'll be getting a MacBook air 13" soon and I'm thinking of getting a Wenger 16" pillar backpack, though it recommender for 15" laptops from what I rather. I'll also be carrying my iPad, books and other general things in it.

I just wonder what peoples experiences are for having a back pack which is larger than the laptop?

Thanks,
AC

Mlrollin91
Sep 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hi all,

I'll be getting a MacBook air 13" soon and I'm thinking of getting a Wenger 16" pillar backpack, though it recommender for 15" laptops from what I rather. I'll also be carrying my iPad, books and other general things in it.

I just wonder what peoples experiences are for having a back pack which is larger than the laptop?

Thanks,
AC

I have an Incase backpack, the one that holds a 17" laptop. I have an iPad and a MBA 11". I put both my MBA and iPad in a small sleeve and slide the laptop into the laptop pouch and then my iPad in the smaller pouch. Works perfectly in my opinion.

I would recommend getting a small sleeve for your MBA for added protection. Even though it may be in a separate place than your books and supplies, I noticed that books actually bent my MBP frame from the weight of them Especially with the air being so thin, better safe than sorry.

jbzcar
Sep 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

Thanks,
AC

If you are going to do that, I would probably get a sleeve or smaller slip-case for your Air and then place that inside the backpack.

Mrbobb
Sep 10, 2012, 11:32 AM
if the backpack already has a well padded compartment for it, ur good to go. If not, as others have suggested, probably a separate sleeve, this is regardless whether the backpack is larger or perfectly-fit.

"books bend the mba..." that's scary. I'd probably add some sort of extra rigid, but lightweight backing of some sort to it in which case.

stchman
Sep 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
I put my MBA in a case for a 15" laptop. If it fits, then use it. The larger cases hold a lot more accessories.

WesCole
Sep 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
I use a Swiss Gear backpack for my Air...it is designed for a 15" laptop. I use an Incipio sleeve for it, and it fits pretty well, without a whole lot of wiggle room. It hasn't gotten bent because of the books yet, but i also try to keep it upright when setting it down so that the entire weight of the books aren't on top of my Air. My backpack has a dedicated iPad holder, so that is where my iPad goes.

Here is the link (http://www.wengerna.com/ibex-computer-backpack-12358) to my backpack in case you were wondering.

And here is a link (http://www.incipio.com/MacBook-Air-13in-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-MacBook-Air-13in-Slim-Sleeve-Case.asp) to my sleeve.