PDA

View Full Version : something is slowing it down

zoran
Sep 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hi, i have a G5 1.8ghz with 3GB ram, its using the latest leopard version it can hold up and its configured with a second 150gb drive (OSX uses a 80GB one). its dual boot configured, Tiger and Leopard, each OSX on each drive, Tiger is on the big drive. The speed when using Leopard is very bad, so i figured to throw in some Activity Monitor pics on how things are and maybe you guys can give a hint on what might be wrong!

Intell
Sep 10, 2012, 02:27 PM
It would appear that it is downloading something. Could you post a screen shot of all of the processes in Activity Monitor sorted by CPU percentage?

zoran
Sep 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
Does this look like something is downloaded?

Intell
Sep 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
It doesn't look like that. Are you transferring files to it over a network?

zoran
Sep 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
It doesn't look like that. Are you transferring files to it over a network?
Nope just running a web based app!

Intell
Sep 10, 2012, 02:38 PM
Post the all running processes list in Activity Monitor sorted by CPU usage. Make sure it's all process and not "My Processes".

zoran
Sep 16, 2012, 05:12 PM
I have made screen shots throughout the day to get the whole picture!

zoran
Sep 25, 2012, 03:04 AM
A few more pics, everything was very slow at the time when i took these! Do you see anything strange?

justperry
Sep 25, 2012, 03:34 AM
A few more pics, everything was very slow at the time when i took these! Do you see anything strange?

No, not really, firefox is a bit higher but not very high.

Activity Monitor won't always show problems, I had it a few times when the system is not responding well, but it doesn't show in Activity Monitor.

Edit 1:, just checked your first post, not full.
Another problem could be if your disk is almost full, how full is it?

If for instance you have mere Gb to spare and a few swap files it could be a problem.

BTW, are these all your processes, including Administer Processes?
Open up Activity Monitor and show ALL processes, I have many more than you.
Why is user tab not showing users, you edited it?

Edit 2 : It shows 57 Processes but in the window it shows less!

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 25, 2012, 04:16 AM
In your Activity Monitor screenshots you're only showing processes that your user account is running - not the actual system itself.

See my screenshot of my Activity Monitor below, running fully upgraded Leopard on a dual 1.8GHz G5 like yours:

RED circle: Select "All Processes", not "My Processes".
BLUE circle: It should then show processes from the system (called "root") and some other system processes.
GREEN circle: weird, never seen POWERPC capitalised before like in your screenshots..

ALSO: I suggest you use TenFourFox to browse the web instead of Firefox. It *is* Firefox, just a PowerPC port of a much newer version of Firefox, with optimisations for PowerPC Macs.

http://i.imgur.com/f5rPq.jpg

GermanyChris
Sep 25, 2012, 04:20 AM
In your Activity Monitor screenshots you're only showing processes that your user account is running - not the actual system itself.

See my screenshot of my Activity Monitor below, running fully upgraded Leopard on a dual 1.8GHz G5 like yours:

RED circle: Select "All Processes", not "My Processes".
BLUE circle: It should then show processes from the system (called "root") and some other system processes.
GREEN circle: weird, never seen POWERPC capitalised before like in your screenshots..

ALSO: I suggest you use TenFourFox to browse the web instead of Firefox. It *is* Firefox, just a PowerPC port of a much newer version of Firefox, with optimisations for PowerPC Macs.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/f5rPq.jpg)

TFF is slow on my quad, it would be really bad on a DP 1.8

California
Sep 25, 2012, 04:25 AM
TFF is slow on my quad, it would be really bad on a DP 1.8

Did they make a DP 1.8? Anyway, OP says its a single 1.8. i owned the one that took eight gigs of ram and it was slower than molasses. The four gig of ram 1.8 must have been a nightmare.

GermanyChris
Sep 25, 2012, 05:55 AM
Did they make a DP 1.8? Anyway, OP says its a single 1.8. i owned the one that took eight gigs of ram and it was slower than molasses. The four gig of ram 1.8 must have been a nightmare.

Ya know I looked a Jethryn Freyman sig for the DP 1.8 your right the OP doesn't state that. A single 1.8 would be worse.

zoran
Sep 25, 2012, 01:35 PM
MANY MANY THANX regarding TFF, it is much faster than original FFox, i couldnt believe my eyes!!! :):):)
Only one thing, is there a version of Firebug for it?

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 26, 2012, 07:41 AM
As far as I know the only G5 tower with a single CPU was a single 1.6GHz. I've got the dual 1.8, which is the crippled model that can only take 4GB memory - no single-processor G5 could take 8GB of RAM. And any version on TFF will be faster than the last PPC version of Firefox

GermanyChris
Sep 26, 2012, 07:58 AM
As far as I know the only G5 tower with a single CPU was a single 1.6GHz. I've got the dual 1.8, which is the crippled model that can only take 4GB memory - no single-processor G5 could take 8GB of RAM. And any version on TFF will be faster than the last PPC version of Firefox

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI-X) Specs

Identifiers: Power Mac G5 - M9031LL/A - PowerMac7,2 - A1047 - 1969

Single 1.8

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI) Specs

Identifiers: Late 2004 - M9555LL/A - PowerMac9,1 - A1093 - 2020

Single 1.8

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

666sheep
Sep 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
no single-processor G5 could take 8GB of RAM.

3 of them could: 1.8 single (PCI-X), 2.0 and 2.3 single (DC). Last 2 even 16GB :p

OP, you could try clean 10.5 install, update combo to 10.5.8 (after that do all updates via Software Update) then customize it with Xslimmer or Monolingual (be careful with that). At the very last use justperry's "trick" with manual deleting kexts unnecessary for your machine (see his post in FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091765)).

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "slow"? Overall, Internet, video, applications, games? What graphics card you're using?

orestes1984
Sep 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
As an alternate to Ten Four Fox you can also run Camino which is still current with the Mozilla project. I prefer it on PPC Macs it has a lot of other things installed by default like click to flash and its light and fast.

Firefox is a memory hog and it always has had a substantial memory leak. Get rid of it and run a current browser, either Ten Four Fox, or Camino.

ihuman:D
Sep 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
As an alternate to Ten Four Fox you can also run Camino which is still current with the Mozilla project. I prefer it on PPC Macs it has a lot of other things installed by default like click to flash and its light and fast.

Firefox is a memory hog and it always has had a substantial memory leak. Get rid of it and run a current browser, either Ten Four Fox, or Camino.

I'd also recommend Camino. It runs great on my PowerPC Mac.

GermanyChris
Sep 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
lets not forget Omniweb

California
Sep 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI-X) Specs

Identifiers: Power Mac G5 - M9031LL/A - PowerMac7,2 - A1047 - 1969

Single 1.8

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 (PCI) Specs

Identifiers: Late 2004 - M9555LL/A - PowerMac9,1 - A1093 - 2020

Single 1.8

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

Yes, I had the earlier model single 1.8 that took 8 gigs of ram and had a 900mhz bus; two years later the single 1.8 only took 4 gigs of ram and had a 600mhz bus.

The earlier model was slow. My mom's 2.0ghz iMac G5 ambient sensor was faster.

zoran
Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
It seems that Firefox is using very little virtual memory, could this be the issue and if so, how can i put more VMemory to Fireboxes usage?

orestes1984
Sep 26, 2012, 06:53 PM
It seems that Firefox is using very little virtual memory, could this be the issue and if so, how can i put more VMemory to Fireboxes usage?

You can not manage virtual memory with OS X in the way you can with OS 9

zoran
Sep 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
and this means that one cannot manage it at all?

orestes1984
Sep 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
Pretty much...

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
Oh. Pardon my ignorance :(

Anyway, I'd say it'd be a waste of money upgrading a single CPU, single core G5 to anything beyond 4GB. A low clocked G5 seems to be the big bottleneck I have.

orestes1984
Sep 27, 2012, 12:40 AM
4GB is plenty of RAM for OS X just try using a low power full featured browser like Camino, or Omni. It should do ok for web browsing and data entry, but if you need something faster its time you should look at a cheap Intel Mac you can pick up a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini now for a few hundred dollars.

GermanyChris
Sep 27, 2012, 07:49 AM
I seem to go through 10Gb somewhat quickly. Quickly enough to ponder adding more. RAM use and processor speed are not directly related.

justperry
Sep 27, 2012, 08:45 AM

and this means that one cannot manage it at all?

Pretty much...

Pretty much but not completely.

You can for instance switch off VM, it will get quite a bit faster, BUT, the problem here is that if you are running out of memory the system will crash.
I switched it off and Safari will get snappier, and this is not a joke;)

Zoran, why don't you post a screenshot of your processes in Activity Monitor with option All Processes set, we asked for that a while ago but you didn't do so.

Regarding your other problem with conflicting IP numbers, how is that one going?

orestes1984
Sep 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
Pretty much but not completely.

You can for instance switch off VM, it will get quite a bit faster, BUT, the problem here is that if you are running out of memory the system will crash.
I switched it off and Safari will get snappier, and this is not a joke;)

This is just silly talk though... :rolleyes:

justperry
Sep 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
Disable VM
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
Restart

Enable VM
launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
Restart

Or remove /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
and restart.
Keep a copy of it!!!!

zoran
Sep 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
Disable VM
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
Restart

Enable VM
launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
Restart

Or remove /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
and restart.
Keep a copy of it!!!!
what is sudo and launchctl?

GermanyChris
Sep 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
sudo is a super user account..

launchctl interfaces with launchd to load, unload daemons/agents and generally control launchd. launchctl supports taking subcommands on the command line, interactively or even redirected from standard input. These commands can be stored in $HOME/.launchd.conf or /etc/launchd.conf to be read at thetime launchd starts.

You slowness comes from the fact that you have a single 1.8..flush cache, use a better browser and keep in mind that you or someone else has had many years of use out of the computer.

zoran
Sep 27, 2012, 03:37 PM
and keep in mind that you or someone else has had many years of use out of the computer.
this is very interesting, hmm i wonder if there is some app that could measure the power of the computer, like a benchmark on this issue you say!

GermanyChris
Sep 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
this is very interesting, hmm i wonder if there is some app that could measure the power of the computer, like a benchmark on this issue you say!

brother/sister I love PM as much if not more than most here..your PM is slow because it's slow..throw some RAM at it and smile and remember that your not an iSheep.

zoran
Sep 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
brother/sister I love PM as much if not more than most here..your PM is slow because it's slow..throw some RAM at it and smile and remember that your not an iSheep.
well i believe that its slow compared to intel macs only when running leopard, im certain that if you would run an OSX that was released back then they should be pretty darn fast, as they were when first released, aint i correct? Problem is i cant remember what OS they were first released with at the time! Could of it been Panther or Tiger?

GermanyChris
Sep 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
well i believe that its slow compared to intel macs only when running leopard, im certain that if you would run an OSX that was released back then they should be pretty darn fast, as they were when first released, aint i correct? Problem is i cant remember what OS they were first released with at the time! Could of it been Panther or Tiger?

My qaud with is some where near 600% faster than your ingle 1.8 is slower than many Intel Mac's..

Tiger and 4Gb RAM is just peachy, Leopard and 4GB is just peachy depending on your video card..

California
Sep 27, 2012, 05:26 PM

The first single 1.8 came with Puma 10.2 as i recall.

zoran
Sep 27, 2012, 11:35 PM
does anyone remember the powerbook series 1.67GHz with what OSX it first came out?

justperry
Sep 28, 2012, 12:32 AM
does anyone remember the powerbook series 1.67GHz with what OSX it first came out?

Mac OS X 10.3.7 (7T62)

Source Mactracker, it's a free app you can download and it has all the information on all Apple's stuff ever made.

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 28, 2012, 06:53 AM
Mac OS X 10.3.7 (7T62)

Source Mactracker, it's a free app you can download and it has all the information on all Apple's stuff ever made.
This, LAWL, when you remember the 1GHz G4 iMac that came out to you with 10.1.2.... ;)