PDA

View Full Version : Ooops! Wife wrote over miniDV tape.

VanMac
Aug 14, 2005, 01:25 PM
Hey.

So, as the title suggests, my wife tapped over the movie we had in the camera.

I have just purchased a 12" iBook, so I tried importing a movie into iMovie to see how it would work. Worked great. I rewinded the tape in the camera when done as I was going to archive it.

Wife picks up the camera the next day and tapes over the whole thing! So, thankfully I have that data on disk.

Question is this. Can I just dump that movie back up to a new blank miniDV tape from iBook to camera? Is there any data loss in the transfer, or being all digital, will it be just like a file transfer.

Any advice or precautions appreciated.

Espnetboy3
Aug 14, 2005, 01:33 PM
Of course you can write it back to tape. In imovie I forget but I believe you go to file>share>some option for camera. Have your cam hooked up and on whie you do this.

Rod Rod
Aug 14, 2005, 03:04 PM
Yup, put everything you want to keep onto the timeline, and then "share" (export / print to video) to the camcorder.

There should not be any data loss unless there's some sort of (rare) tape problem.

CanadaRAM
Aug 14, 2005, 03:06 PM
Do Mini DV tapes have a "write protect" tab?

my wife tapped over the movie we had in the camera.

o'course, if your wife taped over it, that would be one thing, but if she pulled a Gregory Hines and tapped over it, that puppy's probably beyond saving...
5,6,7,8!
:D

Lacero
Aug 14, 2005, 03:16 PM
Sheesh, what kind of wife records over existing tape without telling the hubby. Something like that happens, I'm sure to write it down as ammunition for future arguments. :mad:

Rod Rod
Aug 14, 2005, 03:20 PM
Do Mini DV tapes have a "write protect" tab?Yes

AmigoMac
Aug 14, 2005, 03:46 PM
Do Mini DV tapes have a "write protect" tab?

I read : Do Mini DV tapes have a "wife protect" tab? :o

Gotta sleep, has been a long day.

VanMac
Aug 14, 2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the help, and amusing comments.

Worked fine. Just selected all clips, and 'shared' it back up to a new blank tape. All is restored.

Really all my fault, I should have protected tape, or at least pulled from camera. Oh well, live and learn.