PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't iPhoto automatically organize your photo library (in finder)?

Winter Charm
Sep 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
iTunes has this awesome option that makes it organize your library into neat folders and name everything. It works perfectly, and I couldn't be happier with it.

iTunes does this: [iTunes Media] >> [Artist Name] >> [Album Name] >> [Songs]

However, When I open up my iPhoto library, it's a huge mess with weirdly numbered folders that I can't make sense of. Is there any way to implement a friendly library organization within iPhoto? (I'm talking about the way folders are displayed in Finder)

I want iPhoto to do [Date and Event Name] >> [Photos for this event].

Any ideas?

r.j.s
Sep 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
With iPhoto, you are never to work directly with the files - in fact, doing so may cause corruption of the library.

Everything is managed through the iPhoto app.

dcorban
Sep 16, 2012, 08:11 AM
You never have to work directly with iTunes media files, either, so that isn't a very strong argument.

MisterMe
Sep 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
r.j.s was not being argumentative. He was merely stating a fact.

brand
Sep 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
Any ideas?

Use iPhoto as it was intended and don't open the library in Finder.

fisherking
Sep 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
you must be using an older iphoto as well..later versions no longer display the folders in the finder, but simply a single icon (a package, in which those folders are contained).

2 thoughts: update to a newer iphoto. and ALWAYS work with those images from within the application.

Winter Charm
Oct 9, 2012, 03:20 PM
you must be using an older iphoto as well..later versions no longer display the folders in the finder, but simply a single icon (a package, in which those folders are contained).

2 thoughts: update to a newer iphoto. and ALWAYS work with those images from within the application.

Yes, they display a package, but you can use the >>Show package contents option to explore that package.

I just wish that changes I made in iPhoto were reflected across the folders inside this package.

dcorban
Oct 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
Care to explain why?

mrapplegate
Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, they display a package, but you can use the >>Show package contents option to explore that package.

I just wish that changes I made in iPhoto were reflected across the folders inside this package.

They are reflected there. The problem is you can't understand how. Like others have mentioned the library is a package and is not meant to be accessed.